website  watertownhistory.org

    ebook  History of Watertown, Wisconsin

 

       Maas Brothers Construction Image Portfolio 

 

 

 

 

 

Maas Brothers Construction

FOUNDED 1922

 

 

1910:  BEFORE MAAS BROTHERS WAS FOUNDED

 

               

click to enlarge

1910:  Albert Maas Sr (1861-1944)

Maas Bros. was founded later, in 1922

 

08 05 1910:  REMODELING OF CHARLES J. SALICK STORE

New front; interior remodeling; steam heat; $3000.

Iron, Dornfeld- Kunert Cos.  Balance day work except painting and glazing. A. C. Huenefeld, architect.

 

____________________________________________________

 

 

MAAS BROTHERS HISTORY

An Experienced General Contracting Firm

 

 

Maas Brothers Construction, Inc., is one of Wisconsin’s oldest and most well-respected general contracting firms.  Founded in 1922 by brothers Albert W. and Alvin (Ollie) Maas in Watertown, the growing construction business survived the Great Depression, with projects including Carillon Tower at UW-Madison, one of the most distinctive visual features of the campus (1936), and the iconic P.J. Jacobs High School building in Stevens Point, featuring murals, tiled mosaics, stained glass and an oak library (1938).

 

Maas Brothers thrived during the post-World War II construction boom.  In the 1940s, Albert’s sons, Earl and Albert Jr., joined the family business.  Together, they ran the company from 1949 until their retirement in 1990.  During this time, Maas Brothers was involved with construction of Watertown Memorial Hospital, Marquardt Memorial Manor, Jefferson County Courthouse, Riverside Junior High in Watertown, and many more.

 

In 1990, Earl’s son, Robert Maas, took over management of the company.  Operations expanded throughout the 1990s under Robert’s direction, with considerable contributions from Daniel Shea and Douglas Beilke, who are 2nd-generation members of the Maas Brothers team, and Kevin Kohlhoff.  Clasen Quality Chocolate, Jones Dairy Farm, Watertown Regional Medical Center, Jefferson High School and Johnson Creek Schools are among our most notable modern-era projects.

 

Today, as we approach the company’s 100th anniversary, Maas Brothers continues to grow and evolve in an ever-changing construction industry. Together our team brings decades of construction experience to the business. Thanks to our longstanding reputation for providing quality construction work, many long-term clients—including some dating back to the 1940s and 1950s—continue to choose Maas Brothers Construction.

 

In addition to construction management, Maas Brothers self-performs a variety of trade work, including rough and finish carpentry, concrete and selective demolition. Supplying our own trade professionals helps us control quality and timelines to deliver projects on schedule and within budget.

 

Over the years, Maas Brothers has developed a strong network of construction industry relationships, including architects, engineers, vendors and subcontractors. These connections lead to better value engineering, lower subcontractor and vendor pricing, and maximum efficiency on projects of all types and sizes.

 

Today, Maas Brothers continues to grow and evolve in an ever-changing construction industry.  The current management team of Doug Beilke, Kevin Kohlhoff, Anthony Maas, Tony Meyers, Daniel Shea, Mark Stafford, Eric Graf, and Trevor Kearns bring more than 200 years of combined construction experience to the table of this fourth-generation business.

 

           

Anthony Maas

 

GENEALOGY LINAGE:

ALBERT MAAS I, 1861-1944

FIRST gen] ALBERT MAAS II, 1889-1974

FIRST gen] ALVIN MAAS, 1897-1990    (brother of Albert II)

   SECOND gen] ALBERT MAAS III, 1922-2008   (family history)

   SECOND gen] EARL MAAS, 1920-2018    (brother of Albert III)

      THIRD gen] ROBERT MAAS

         FOURTH gen] ANTHONY MAAS

 

 

 

MAAS BROTHERS

Watertown, WI

 

SELECTED PROJECTS

(chronological order)

 

___ 1922 __________________

MAAS BROTHERS FOUNDED

 

 

___ 1922 __________________

PLANS FOR WILLIAM DRAEGER home / Watertown, WI

Diagram

Description automatically generated        Diagram, schematic

Description automatically generated        Diagram, schematic

Description automatically generated

 

Diagram

Description automatically generated        A picture containing grass, outdoor, tree, house

Description automatically generated

 

 

___ 1923 __________________

BOWLING ALLEYS PROPOSED FOR ST. MARK’S / Watertown, WI

           Lack of approval led to formation of the Wethonkitha club

A picture containing text, whiteboard

Description automatically generated       Maas Bros. Building Contractors, Albert W. Maas, draftsman

 

The St. Mark’s Men’s Society was organized in 1921 “to establish a social center for the members of the church, to give them the recreation desired, which, however, shall not conflict with the rules of our church, and to give aid and support to church and synod whenever found necessary.”

 

. . . The club flourished for the first two years of its existence, showing a membership of well over one hundred.

 

Then, however, it approached the congregation in 1923 for permission to install some bowling alleys at their own expense in the basement of the building [lower level of the old church], the request was received with some apprehension.  A committee was appointed by the congregation to determine whether bowling in its midst could be “reconciled with our doctrine and church life.” 

 

The committee headed by Pastor Klingmann returned an unfavorable report and recommended that the club’s request be denied because a precedent would thereby be established which might at a later date prove dangerous to the sound growth of the congregation.  The club did not receive approval to install its bowling alleys, even thought it had purchased them in anticipation of a favorable decision.

 

All this was discouraging to the young club and contributed much to the formation of another men’s society in Watertown, the Wethonkitha club, where members of Wisconsin and Missouri Synod Lutheran church members in and about Wisconsin would have their clubrooms and bowling alleys.

 

After this “set back” membership in St. Mark’s Men’s Society diminished until it was disbanded nine years later in 1932.                St. Mark’s 1854-1979 booklet

 

 

___ c.1923 __________________

PLANS FOR THEODORE GUSE home / Watertown, WI

     417 South Church Street

 

Diagram, schematic

Description automatically generated        Diagram, schematic

Description automatically generated             

Maas Bros. was founded in 1922, so this would be one of the first architectural drawings by Albert W. Maas

 

 

___ c.1923 __________________

PLANS FOR MARIE ABELMAN home / Watertown, WI

     806 Market Street

Diagram, schematic

Description automatically generated          A picture containing outdoor, tree, building, house

Description automatically generated

 

 

___ 1925 __________________

PLANS FOR FRED & IRENE BLOCK RESIDENCE / Watertown, WI

            R F BLOCK & SON (Reinhold F and Fred C), Meat Market, 600 N. Fourth

 

Diagram

Description automatically generated        Timeline

Description automatically generated

 

A screenshot of a computer

Description automatically generated with low confidence        A picture containing grass, outdoor, tree, house

Description automatically generated

 

 

___ 1925 __________________

PLANS FOR ERNST BIEFELD (LILLIAN DITTMANN) RESIDENCE / Watertown, WI

Diagram

Description automatically generated           

Map

Description automatically generated                     Diagram, engineering drawing

Description automatically generated   

Architectural drawing by Albert W. Maas, Jr, draftsman

Watertown Construction Co, General Contractors, was early name for Maas Bros.

 

 

___ 1925 __________________

PLANS FOR WALTER USHER RESIDENCE / Watertown, WI

      704 West Cady Street

Diagram

Description automatically generated        Diagram, timeline

Description automatically generated

 

A picture containing text

Description automatically generated        A picture containing tree, grass, outdoor, house

Description automatically generated

 

 

___ 1925 __________________

GRANDSTAND FOR CITY OF WATERTOWN

Diagram

Description automatically generated            Diagram, engineering drawing

Description automatically generated       06 18 1925

Plans drawn by Arthur Kuenzi, engineer (with Otto Biefeld Co., later Biefeld president)

 

Plans match grandstand seen in Washington park photo.     

A picture containing text, outdoor, grass, field

Description automatically generated  

07 22       GRAND STAND ORDERED FOR CITY BALL PARK

     Plan program in connection with opening games

 

The proposed new grandstand, discussed for some time as an urgent necessity at the municipal stadium, is to become a reality.  At its meeting Tuesday night the city council approved the recommendation of the Washington park commission for the erection of such a stand.

 

The bid for the erection of the grandstand had previously been let to the Watertown Construction Co. [Mass Bros] which agreed to build the stand for the sum of $1,555.

 

Work on the stand is to begin at once and it is planned to have it ready within a few weeks.  The stand will be used for the first time the first part of August and the Washington park commission consisting of Aldermen Carey, Bublitz and Glatzel have worked out a plan to hold a booster celebration in connection with the event.  It is planned to play a doubleheader that Sunday.  The date is to be announced later.  The advance sale of tickers will begin soon and those in charge hope that every fan will be back of the move to put this game across.

 

The American Legion team and the city team will play one of the games.  It is also planned to have Mayor J. E. McAdams on the lot to take part in the program.

 

Both the American Legion band and the Watertown city band will be secured to furnish the music and in baseball annals here the event will be one of the biggest and most important in years. 

 

The grandstand is to fill a long-felt want.  It will be the best obtainable for the purpose it is to serve and will greatly add to the pleasure of baseball fans when it is ready for use.     WDT

 

 

___ 1925 __________________

ORPHANS HOME (north of Stoughton, WI)

 

08 12       LET CONTRACTS FOR ORPHANS HOME.  Contracts were partly let Monday for the building of the Orphans Home, north of Stoughton.  The old structure was destroyed by fire.  The Watertown Construction Co. was awarded the main building at $32,010.   The Capital Times

 

 

___ c.1925 __________________

WATERTOWN CONSTRUCTION CO. renamed MAAS BROTHERS CONSTRUCTION in or around 1925.

 

 

___ 1926 __________________

BRANDT AUTOMATIC CASHIER COMPANY OFFICE BUILDING

Diagram

Description automatically generated          A picture containing tree, grass, outdoor, plant

Description automatically generated

 

01 23       The Brandt Automatic Cashier Company office building [515-517 S. First], opposite its plant on South First Street, is well under way.  The location will be more convenient to the factory than that of its present offices on Main Street.

 

Their two offices, general and factory, will be consolidated and will have a considerably larger space than the combined space of these two offices.

 

The office floor together with the shipping room below will have a total space of 8000 square feet.

 

The building will be fireproof and it will have a sprinkler system.  The arrangement of the offices is with special consideration for the comfort of the employees.  The floors throughout the offices will be cork facing on concrete.  The entry, steps and bases will be finished in various harmonizing marbles and the auxiliary rooms are planned to have white tile finish.  The furnishings will be of the latest designs.

 

The building will have a frontage of forty feet on First Street and one hundred feet on Wisconsin Street.  Claude & Starck, Madison, are the architects and Maas Brothers of this city are the general contractors.

 

 

___ 1927 __________________

11 18       BID ON PLANS FOR NEW INTERURBAN TERMINAL

Website

Description automatically generated with medium confidence

New Passenger Terminal for the T.M.E.R.&L. Co, the Interurban Railway, 200 South Second Street.

 

Portion of architectural drawing for terminal held by Maas Bros. Construction.  To be determined if Maas Bros. was awarded the winning bid.

 

 

___ 1927 __________________

201-203 EAST MAIN STREET   /  The Cole Building, Watertown WI

 

 

     < Street view

 

Remodel of 201-203 East Main Street (The Cole Building), constructed in 1954 by J. W. Cole to provide larger quarters for his general merchandize trade.

 

Renovation in preparation of J. C. Penney relocating from 117 E. Main across Second St. to 201-203 E. Main

 

 

___ 1927 __________________

George W. Jansky home at 1332 Livsey Place, Watertown

Diagram

Description automatically generated        A picture containing tree, grass, outdoor, house

Description automatically generated 

 

Diagram, schematic

Description automatically generated         A picture containing text, whiteboard

Description automatically generated    

 

1 of set of 3 drawings held by Maas Bros.  Drawn in 1926 by Albert W. Maas, draftsman.  Built in 1927

 

 

___ 1927 __________________

JOHNSON CREEK SCHOOL ADDITION / Johnson Creek, WI

10 19 1927  /  Johnson Creek Will Dedicate New High School

 

The Watertown Elks chorus under the direction of Edward L. Schempf is scheduled to sing at Johnson Creek Sunday night as part of the informal program in connection with the dedication of the new Johnson Creek high school.  The evening program will start at 7:30 o’clock.  Dean Goodnight of the University of Wisconsin will be the principal speaker.

 

The dedication Sunday will mark one of the biggest community days ever held in Johnson Creek.  The celebration will start Saturday night when an alumni banquet is to be held in the gymnasium of the new school.  A dance will follow.

 

Johnson Creek invites the public from every surrounding part to attend the ceremonies Sunday night and to inspect the school in the afternoon.  The new structure is said to be one of the finest to be found anywhere in a place under 1,000 population.  A University of Wisconsin inspector who recently visited the building is said to have declared it was the best equipped and arranged school he had ever visited in a small community.  The university recently placed the Johnson Creek high school on the accredited list.

 

<>  HAVE PLANS FOR.  Uncertain as to built by Maas Bros <>

A large building with a tree in front of it

Description automatically generated with low confidence                A picture containing text, newspaper, sign, receipt

Description automatically generated

<>  HAVE PLANS FOR.  Uncertain as to built by Maas Bros <>

 

 

___ c.1927 __________________

BUILDING OF OIL STATION FOR BORCHARD (BORCHARDT) BROS. / Watertown, WI

Diagram, engineering drawing

Description automatically generated           

Garden Home Service Station, Magnus & Edmund Borchardt

 

Street view of this location:

 

 

___ 1928 __________________

ADDITION TO UW CHEMISTRY BUILDING / Madison, WI

A picture containing outdoor, building, old, government building

Description automatically generated   

1928 addition to chemistry building (Chamberlin Hall) contract let to Maas Bros. and the DeForest Lumber Co. to the amount of $278,000, including all trades.  Excavation began June 13 and continued to the present time.  Concrete foundations and walls of deeper portions of the building are now being poured.  (Article of 09 02 1927 regarding 1928 addition at chemistry building (Chamberlin Hall

 

The east wing, another fireproof L-shaped addition was begun in July 1927 and was occupied by January 1929.  It extended 110 to the east along University Avenue and then back to the north for 192 feet.  This addition added 60,000 square feet to the building.  It contained more large laboratories, classrooms, departmental offices, and in the basement, new equipment for ventilation, glassblowing rooms and darkrooms.

 

Aerial view of a city

Description automatically generated with low confidence

 

 

___ c.1928 __________________

PLANS FOR RESIDENCE AT 514 LAFAYETTE STREET

Diagram, schematic

Description automatically generated           A picture containing text, outdoor, house

Description automatically generated

Home for Emanuel P. & Elizabeth Stoll

Watertown Construction Co  /  Architectural drawing by Albert W. Maas

 

 

___ 1929 __________________

TURNER HALL / Watertown, WI

SET OF ARCHITECTUAL PLANS (1928)

A picture containing timeline

Description automatically generated           A picture containing text

Description automatically generated

 

A drawing of a house

Description automatically generated with low confidence

 

It was a sad day in Watertown when, on March 9, 1928, Turner Opera House caught fire and burned down. 

 

The corner stone of the then new Turner Hall was laid on Oct. 14, 1928.  Dedication ceremonies were held with the opening of the hall on Jan. 29, 1929.

 

SELECTED SPECIFICATIONS FOR TURNER HALL,

built for Watertown Gymnastic Association

 

Tidbits derived from 27-page set of specifications by architect

 

. . . CONCRETE - The water used in mixing concrete shall be fresh, clean and free from all earth, clay, loam or sewerage, or other impurities liable to injure the concrete.

 

Concrete for walls, footing, columns or floors placed on earth or cinders must be mixed in proportion of one part cement, two parts sand and four parts stone.  Concrete for beams, reinforced slabs or lintels much be mixed in proportions of one part cement, one and one-half parts sand and three and one half parts stone.

 

All concrete shall be machine mixed.  No hand mixed concrete of any description will be tolerated.  The concrete shall be mixed wet, sufficient water being used to make a mass they will flow readily, and be of such consistency that the reinforcing steel will become thoroughly coated with a protecting coat of fine mortar, but at the same time an excess of water must be carefully avoided, as it causes a separation of the materials. . .

 

. . . FLAG POLE – Furnish and place wood flag pole 36 ft. long x 7 ½ inches turned diameter at base by 3 ½ inches diameter at top.  Flag pole to be complete with rotating Lignum vitae truck and sheave, brass rod, 20 oz. spun 9-inch diameter copper ball, halyards and fastening cleat.  Top fixture to be made to cap top of wood pole to prevent rotting.  Carpenter to paint flag pole four good coats of lead and oil paint before erecting.

 

Cross reference:

Chapter on Turner Hall:  www.watertownhistory.org/articles/TurnerHall.htm

 

 

___ 1930 __________________

F. W. WOOLWORTH BUILDING / 316-318 EAST MAIN ST (The Miller Building) / Watertown, WI

  

 

-- --           F.W. WOOLWORTH BLDG BUILT by Maas Bros. of Watertown

    Woolworth building replaced former Miller Cigar Manufactory (312-314 E Main) and Miller house (316)

 

Still known as the Miller Building.

 

 

___ 1930 __________________

NOWACK FUNERAL HOME CONSTRUCTED

A picture containing tree, outdoor, road, street

Description automatically generated      213 S. Fifth St, Watertown

 

CROSS REFERENCE NOTE:  In 1929 the house on the old Bieber property in Fifth Street was moved from that location to Rockwell Street where it was set up by Otto Paradies, who purchased it from Carl F. Nowack, who used the site in Fifth Street for a modern funeral home.         WDem

 

 

___ c.1930 __________________

 

THEODORE BINHAMMER HOME  /  Architectural drawing by Albert W. Maas, Jr.

Diagram

Description automatically generated with medium confidence        803 Richards Ave, Watertown, WI

 

JOHN SEAGER RESIDENCE /  No match found for a constructed home  /  Architectural drawing by Albert W. Maas, Jr.

Diagram, engineering drawing

Description automatically generated       Watertown, WI

 

FRED FENDT HOME  /  210 N. Concord, Watertown

A picture containing text, whiteboard

Description automatically generated                   A picture containing building, outdoor, house, old

Description automatically generated     

Architectural drawing by Albert W. Maas, Jr.

 

FRED HOLLENBECK, NEW FRONT FOR  /  No match found for a constructed building  /  Architectural drawing by Albert W. Maas, Jr.

A drawing of a building

Description automatically generated with medium confidence  

Fred Hollenbeck, Jr. profile 

Fred Sr., and Fred Jr., mentioned on page 189 of book on 150 years of the Watertown Fire Dept. as owners of Majestic Theater (c.1915), but no match found for above drawing.

 

BARTLES-MAGUIRE OIL CO SERVICE STATION

904 East Main Street

      Became Zwieg’s Grill in 1946

Diagram

Description automatically generated            A picture containing text, outdoor, building, tree

Description automatically generated   

 

JOHN E. HEISMAN & SON, NEW STORE FRONT FOR  /  Architectural drawing by Albert W. Maas, Jr.

Diagram, engineering drawing

Description automatically generated 

 

HENRY G. GRABOW LUNCHEONETTE, Addition/Remodel plans,417 E. Main St

Diagram

Description automatically generated             A picture containing text, building, outdoor, road

Description automatically generated

 

 

___ c.1933 __________________

 

POWERS INN  /  ELIAS

Watertown, WI

 

CROSS REFERENCE NOTE:  Link to file on Powers / Elias

 

 

___ 1934-1935 __________________

 

CARILLON TOWER  /  UW-Madison

10 19 1934                    REGENTS APPROVE CHIMES TOWER BID

 

Final approval of the contract for the construction of the carillon tower on the University rf Wisconsin campus was voted by the university board of regents recently.

 

The low bidder on the tower was the Maas Brothers company of Watertown.

 

The cost of building the tower will be slightly more than $28,000, and final approval of the regents cleared the way for actual construction work, which has begun.

 

Funds for the construction of the tower, which will be 85 feet high and 17 feet wide, have been given to the state university by graduating classes from 1917 to 1926, which donated about $30,000.  To this has been added a federal grant of $11,600.

 

It is expected that the tower will be built on Blackhawk knoll, just northwest of Bascom Hall.  With the construction of the tower approved, the next step will be to obtain bids for the purchase and installation of the bells.     La Crosse Tribune

_____________________________

 

When bids for construction were received, prices had risen and there was little money left for the bells.  The committee appealed to the Public Works Administration and the Public Works Administration (PWA) responded with a grant of $8700-$11,600.  On October 10, 1934, the regents approved the lowest bid of $28,200 of Maas Brothers of Watertown Wisconsin. Ground was broken the next day.  The cornerstone ceremony featuring a dedication speech by president Glenn Frank was held December 5, 1934.  The tower construction was completed in June 1935.

 

UW informative brochure  

 

 

___ c.1945 __________________

 

MINNING LIQUOR STORE, plan for new store front

A picture containing text, old, screenshot

Description automatically generated       Watertown, WI

The Wilkowski Building 

111 North First Street (demolished in 1961)

 

Street view of this location

 

 

___ 1947 __________________

 

LINCOLN ELEMENTARY SCHOOL

        210 Montgomery St, Watertown, WI 

Dedicated Jan. 30, 1949

 

CROSS REFERENCE NOTE:  Built after school fire on 02 23 1946   

 

 

___ 1948 __________________

 

NORRIS SCHOOL ADDITION

Okauchee, WI

 

 

___ 1940s __________________

 

MAAS BROS. CONSTRUCTION

 

WEST MAIN STREET LOCATION

 

Watertown, WI

 

                  

click to enlarge

 

 

___ 1950 __________________

 

WEBSTER ELEMENTARY SCHOOL

634 S 12th St, Watertown 

 

09 30 1950:  MAAS BROS. LOW BIDDER ON NEW WEBSTER SCHOOL

 

The new Webster school, on which work is slated to begin this autumn, will cost a total of $530,857, according to the basic bids filed last night with the board of education's building committee.

 

Bids were opened at a public meeting in the high school library with members of the board of education, members of the city council, the city manager, city attorney, various contractors and interested spectators present.

 

The low bid for the general contract was entered by Maas Bros, Construction Co. of Watertown.  The concern's base bid was $416,352.  Maas Bros. also built the new Lincoln school which was dedicated on Jan. 30, 1949, at a total cost of $365,476.  Thus the Webster school will cost $165,381 more than did the Lincoln school, reflecting the general price rise in materials and construction since the other school was built.

 

Last night’s meeting was opened by A. P. Hinkes, chairman of the building committee, with Edward Berners, architect, representing the firm of Foeller, Schober, Berners, Safford and Jahn, Green Bay, opening and reading the bids.  Tabulation sheets had been distributed to board members before the meeting to keep track of the figures as they were read.

 

Following the reading of the bids the school board went into executive. session.  It took no action on any contracts last night but went into a general discussion and study of the various bids.  Roger R. Holtz, superintendent of schools, said today that the board plans to meet with the city council informally to go over the bids and general plans

 

ln addition to the low bid of the Maas. Bros. Construction there were three other bidders for the general contract.

 

These were three other bidders for the general contract.  These were:

 

Ben Ganther, Oshkosh, $428,352; J. N. Foeller, Green Bay, $434,060; and William E. Brinkmann, Elmhurst, IL, who recently completed the new North Second Street bridge here, $446,818.75.

 

All of the figures quoted are the base bids.  There were several alternate figures in each bid which would affect the final price slightly one way or another, depending upon the type of installation; etc.

 

The Otto Biefeld Co., Watertown, entered the only bid for the plumbing, a base bid of $35,800.

 

W. B. Njiehoff and Son, Watertown submitted the low bid for heating and ventilating, $56,000.  Other bidders for this work were:

 

Otto Biefeld Co., Watertown, $61,719; Roger B. Gung, Oshkosh, $63,742; Watertown Machine Co., Watertown, $74,704.  All of the figures are the base bids.

 

The Starkweather Co., Fond du Lac, entered the low bid for electrical wiring, $13,445, plus $4,879 for fixtures.  The only other bidder for this work was the Bakke Electrical Co., Waterford, wiring, $19,935; fixtures, $5,555, all figures being the base bids.

 

The Nicholson Builders Hardware Co., Green Bay, entered a base bid of $4,320 for finish hardware, while the other bidder, Philip Gross, Milwaukee, bid $4,455.

 

Additional Sum Needed

 

The total bids exceed the amount of money which has been set up for the new school.  Thus far there is available a cash fund of $100,000, plus a $400,000 bond issue, making a half million dollars in all.  Based on the total bids submitted last evening, the additional sum of $30,857 will be required to carry out the project.  In addition to this, the board of education has invested something like $30,000 in the school site, which is in the Washington park area.

 

School authorities said that construction work and materials will go even higher and that they consider the figures submitted last night as substantially in keeping with other costs which have been rising and many of which will continue to rise.

 

No date for completing the school has been specified, but if work gets underway this autumn, as planned, the building should be ready for occupancy some time in 1952.

 

Chapter on Webster School  

 

 

 

___ 1950 __________________

 

NORTHWESTERN COLLEGE

LIBRARY SCIENCE BUILDING

Now Luther Prep East Campus Center

 

 

The former Library Science building.  This building was dedicated for use in 1950.  There have been some changes.  The top floor now [2019] contains a conference room, a classroom and the art room.  The middle floor has three classrooms, the nurse's office, the librarians' office and the main entrance to the library.  The bottom floor has classrooms as well as the Prep Shop, network services' storage area and the lower level of the library.

 

               

 

 

___ c.1950 __________________

902 WESTERN AVENUE  /  Alteration of E. R. Maas residence  /  Architectural drawing by E. R. Maas

A picture containing text

Description automatically generated      Watertown, WI

Grandfather of Anthony Maas

 

 

___ 1951 __________________

106 GREEN STREET  /  Plans for Albert W. Maas residence 

Diagram, engineering drawing

Description automatically generated        Watertown, WI

Portion of digitized image file WHS_019_717

 

 

___ 1952-53 __________________

 

St. HENRY CATHOLIC SCHOOL

300 East Cady Street, Watertown, WI

            

 

           

 

 

1879 SCHOOL AND CONVENT REMOVED IN PREPARATION FOR NEW SCHOOL.  The convent, occupied by the nuns and which until the spring of 1952 adjoined the school, was razed to make room for the new school building.  The work of demolishing the school and convent structures was done by Maas Brothers Construction of Watertown. 

 

 

East Side of School, Viewed from front of Church.   

Home of Sisters, right side, attached to school.  Dated 1902

 

The old 1879 school building consisted of four large rooms for grades 1-8.  When this building was demolished in June 1952, workers of the Maas Brothers said they were amazed to find the quantity of solid materials and quality of workmanship that went into the old building.  Work on the new school began in August of 1952 with excavations for the new building.  Favorable fall weather and a mild winter with little snow allowed for continuation of the work and its rapid progress.

 

The new school was built at a cost of almost $400,000.

 

$ 263,434.93       Maas Brothers, General Contract

   35,638.61          Niehoff, Heating

   15,814.86          Ruesch, Electrical

    2,134.25           Rowold, Lighting Fix

   22,154.00          Biefeld, Plumbing

   20,148.93          Architect’s fee

    4,490.00           Wrecking old school

   18,500.00          Home for sisters

    4,906.78           Landscape, playgrounds

   11,462.35          Equipment

  398,684.71        Total Project Cost

 

1954

The cornerstone for the new St. Henry’s Parochial School, for which site preparation was started the previous year, was blessed at a brief outdoor ceremony prior to the 11 o’clock New Year’s Day Mass, 1953. 

 

The new school was built with three entrances, one on Cady Street and two facing the church.  Leo Brielmaier of Milwaukee was chosen as the architect.  The two-story school building with a full basement consisted of eight classrooms, a school and parish library, offices, clinic, faculty room, two meeting rooms, cafeteria, kitchen, boiler room as the central heating plant, janitor’s room and supply rooms.

 

The new parish school, which was nearing completion, was dedicated and blessed in connection with the 1953 centennial celebration of the founding of the congregation.  It was ready for occupancy on September 9.

 

[ Above St. Henry content derived from "A Church Built on the Rock: The 150-Year History of St. Henry’s Catholic Church, Watertown, Wisconsin, 1853-2003, Ken Riedl ]...

 

  

Street view of this location

 

___ 1955 __________________

 

WISCONSIN ELECTRIC POWER COMPANY

       SERVICE BUILDING

      315 William St, Watertown 

 

1888       ELECTRIC LIGHT PLANT ERECTED

 

At a meeting of the Watertown Gas Company last Monday it was unanimously voted that the company to erect an electric light plant in this city, the same to be done it once, or as soon as a franchise can be obtained from the city.  Material has already been ordered and an electrician is expected here in a few days.  The company is to be styled the Watertown Gas, Electric Light and Power Company.  It will furnish small power for running light machinery for any one desiring it.  WG

 

1889       ELECTRIC LIGHTING SYSTEM INSTALLED

 

In 1889 Joseph Terbrueggen was one of a company of three who put in the electric lighting system in the city.  Mr. Cordes became greatly interested in electric lighting, a subject which he studied with great enthusiasm.  Coming to the belief that Watertown could support a plant, the partners secured a franchise from the city of Watertown on May 27, 1889, and at once proceeded to install.

 

Business men and the public generally know little about electric lighting systems and rather doubted its success in a town of this size.  However, they did not allow themselves to become discouraged and went to work to secure contracts from business men and others.  The city contracted for twenty street lights, and a number of business men agreed to take a few lights, the late Joseph Salick, the jeweler, being the first to commend the lights and signing a contract for a substantial number of lights.  Most of the business men were indifferent but became convinced of its feasibility as soon as a few were put in use.

 

Chapter on Electric Company  

 

         < Garages seen were added to front of similar garages built in 1955

 

Street view of this location

 

 

___ c.1955 __________________

 

MAAS BROTHERS CONSTRUCTION OFFICE

712 W. Main Street, Watertown 

 

 

 

1997 <> CROSS REFERENCE NOTE

Chocolate paradise opens in Watertown  /  New store will make sweets from scratch

 

The James J. Chocolate Shop opened in the former location of a building contractor.  The building, at 712 W. Main St., where Maas Bros. Construction was located for well over half a century, has been transformed into a candy store.

 

James and Laurie Jarnigo of Lake Mills opened the doors of their new store this month.  It is the second business venture for the two, who have owned and operated the James J. Chocolate Shop at 2510 University Ave, in Madison for the past nine years.

 

The Watertown store will give the city its first made-from-scratch candy company in about 50 years.

 

The decor of the building has been brightened from construction brown to sparkling white to highlight the colors of homemade milk and dark chocolates, gummy raspberries and blackberries, macadamias, hazelnuts, jelly beans, pillows, roasted nutmeats, brittles, turtles and toffees.       Green Bay Press-Gazette, 03 24 1997

 

 

___ c.1955 __________________

PLAN FOR THOMAS BROOKS RESIDENCE

Diagram, engineering drawing

Description automatically generated  

Drawn by Albert W. Maas

Uncertain as to where and/or if constructed

 

 

___ 1956 __________________

 

DURANT MANUFACTURING COMPANY

Now Eaton Corp

901 South 12th Street, Watertown 

 

Durant came to Watertown in 1957 when a 25,000 square foot facility was erected on Twelfth Street, on land acquired from the then Watertown Association of Commerce Promotive Corporation.  Burt Sweitzer was one of a small group of Durant engineers and managers transferred from Milwaukee to open the Watertown plant in 1957.  The company expanded its facility in 1961, 1963, 1969, 1974, 1978 and 1979. 

 

07 26 1956:  Construction of the branch plant of the Durant Manufacturing Company of Milwaukee is well underway.  Steel structural work has been completed and mason work has begun. The plant will contain 22,000 square feet and will be erected at a cost of $160,000. Maas Bros. have the general contract.  The building is scheduled for completion before the end of the year.     WDTimes

 

01 31 1957:  The branch plant of the Durant Manufacturing Company of Milwaukee is scheduled to begin operations here on Monday, Feb. 11.  Equipment now is being installed and final work on the interior of the building is now nearing completion.  The building covers an area of 22,800 square feet, of which 18,000 square feet will be used for production.  The building is being erected at a cost of $160,000.  Maas Bros. of this city have the general contract.      WDTimes

 

Chapter on Durants  

 

  

Street view of this location

 

 

___ 1956 __________________

ST. MARK’S LUTHERAN SCHOOL

Cady Street, Watertown 

 

05 09 1956:  At a meeting held last night, St. Mark's Lutheran Church gave the “go ahead” signal for the construction of a new parish school to be erected on its property fronting on Cady Street.  Final approval of the plan was voted.  It was also disclosed that the Maas Bros. Construction Co. of Watertown has been awarded the general contract and that the plumbing and heating contract will go to the Otto Biefeld Co. while Arthur Ruesch will do the electrical work.  Plans now call for construction to begin this summer.  The architects are Edgar A. Stuebenrausch and Associates, Sheboygan.  The new school will be one story high, with full basement and will be designed to allow future expansion when the present St. Mark's School is abandoned. 

 

 

___ 1957 __________________

VULTEL, INC.   /   Former Baso

1007 South 12th Street, Watertown

 

02 03 1957:  H.A. Mihm, president of Vultel, Inc., a subsidiary of the Milwaukee Gas Specialty Company, announced this morning that a contract has been let for the construction of a factory building here of 42,000 square feet.  The contract has been let to Maas Brothers Construction Company of this city.  The building project will get underway about April 1, and officials of the firm anticipate that the building will be completed by the end of the year.

 

On June 19 of last year, the Milwaukee firm announced that a plant would be constructed in Watertown.  Through the cooperation of the Association of Commerce, the site, consisting of 40 acres, was secured for the firm in South Twelfth Street, a little south of Boomer Street.   WDT

 

Chapter on Vultel  

 

     

Street view of this location

 

 

___ 1958 __________________

NEW WHITEWATER CITY HIGH SCHOOL

10 1958:  Groundbreaking for the new Whitewater City High School

 

Present was Earl Maas of Maas Bros. Construction Co., Watertown, general contractor.

 

In 1927, the city passed a bond to build a modern updated high school on the site of the Esterly School. The new high school building would be large enough for elementary students from the west side, as well. This building was almost completed when the old high school burned, and after a few months, the new high school building opened. Typical of “modern” high schools of the era, it had a two-story plan and was classical in design. It had all the amenities that we now expect in a high school, including a large gymnasium and classrooms with science labs and technical equipment. It served as a high school until 1960, then as a junior high school until 1998.39    [Source]

 

 

___ 1960 __________________

DOUGLAS ELEMENTARY SCHOOL

1101 Prospect St, Watertown 

      

 

02 23 1960:  BIDS ON NEW DOUGLAS SCHOOL.  Base bids on the new Douglas School to be constructed in Center Street are below the estimates.  They total $509,674, compared with an estimated total of $577,422 made in advance by Joe Durrant of the architectural firm of Durrant and Bergquist, Dubuque, Ia.  Maas Bros., Construction Co. of Watertown entered the lowest base bid for the general contract, $374,925.   

 

Cross reference note:  Loeffler Green House was on this land where I grew up started work in the Green House at age 4 putting dirt into the flats 10 high 10 across so they could plant all the seeds for the spring. - Wayne G Loeffler

 

COMPLETION OF NEW DOUGLAS SCHOOL PROJECT

Text

Description automatically generated

 

Chapter on Douglas School  

 

     < Street view

 

 

___ 1960 __________________

ST. BERNARD’S CATHOLIC SCHOOL

Montgomery Street, Watertown

 

Bids for the new school and gymnasium were opened on February 25.  They totaled approximately $240,000.  Maas Bros. Construction Company of Watertown entered the lowest base bid for the general contract for the construction of the new school and gymnasium of St. Bernard's Catholic Church.  The company's bid was $161,000.  Other low base bidders were: Electrical - Gregory Electric, Oconomowoc, $15,900; plumbing - H. Golden and Son, Oregon, $19,320; heating contract - went to Kehr Bros., Watertown.

 

The new structure included four classrooms, two offices, an all-purpose room [gymnasium-auditorium with stage], kitchen, and several auxiliary-use rooms.  It was built so that it could be expanded, if and when desired.  The building was designed by the Milwaukee architectural firm of Eschweiler & Eschweiler.

 

8 27 1960       The cornerstone laying ceremony for the new school of St. Bernard's will be held after the 11 o'clock mass Sunday morning.  Among the items to be placed in a copper box in the cornerstone will be copies of the Watertown Daily Times, pictures and a copy of St. Bernard's centennial booklet.  The ground breaking ceremony for the new school was held on March 17 with the pastor, the Rev. Patrick Dolan, C.S.C., turning the first spadeful of dirt.  The general contractor for the school is Maas Bros. Construction Company, Watertown.  Others are: Heating, Kehr Bros., Watertown; electrical, Gregory Electric, Oconomowoc, and plumbing, H. Golden and Son, Oregon.   WDT

 

Chapter on St. Bernard’s, church and school  

 

       < Street view

 

 

___ c.1960 __________________

EARL R. HOME ADDITION 

106 Lynn Street, Watertown

A picture containing text, whiteboard

Description automatically generated        

Drawn by Earl R. Maas, Maas Bros. Construction Co.

 

 

___ 1960-61 __________________

SACRED HEART MILITARY ACADEMY CHAPEL

 

04 08 1961          SACRED HEART CHAPEL

Final preparations were being made at Sacred Heart Military Academy for the visit on Thursday of the Rt. Rev. William P. O’Connor, bishop of Madison, when he comes to the city to officiate at ceremonies marking the blessing of the newly renovated Sacred Heart Military Chapel.  The newly renovated chapel is a project that has been underway for three years . . . The general contractor was the Maas Brothers Construction Co. of Watertown.    WDT

 

 

___ 1960-61 __________________

WATERTOWN TELEPHONE HEADQUARTERS

115 South Fourth Street, Watertown

     

 

10 09 1960:  Ground was broken today for the Wisconsin Telephone Company’s new building addition, which will house Watertown’s dial telephone system.  The addition will adjoin the rear of the existing building at 115 South Fourth Street.  A ceremony marked the formal start of the project which will bring a completely new telephone system to Watertown, scheduled for spring of 1962.  Present at the ceremony were Glenn Ferry, acting city manager; James A. Fitzpatrick, city attorney; Edward Hinterberg, president of the city council; Ronald C. Moser, vice president of the city council; William V. Resneck; president of the Watertown Association off Commerce, John D. Clifford, publisher of the Watertown Daily Times, and Earl R. Maas, of the Maas Bros. Construction Co., Watertown.

 

Chapter on Telephone Company  

 

Image may contain: sky, tree and outdoor           Street view

 

 

___ 1961 __________________

MERCHANTS NATIONAL BANK

100 East Main Street, Watertown

                         

 

07 14 1961:  BANK EXPANSION UNDERWAY — The Merchants National Bank, corner of North First and Main streets, is getting a new look and it is also being expanded to include a drive-in banking service.  The top picture is an architect’s sketch of the transformation which is underway, with the Maas Bros. Construction Co. of Watertown, in charge of the general contract.  The bottom picture shows the drive-in unit, with a part of the Elks Club building at the extreme left.  The alleyway, which now leads from North First to North Second Streets is a public alley and will be maintained.  There will be a tunnelway under the alley.  The former Minning Liquor Co. building in North First Street, which the bank acquired last year, is being demolished and that area will be occupied by the new drive-in unit.  The lower portion of the bank will include lannon stone and vertical panels will be of colored ceramic tile.  The upper portion, beginning ten feet above the sidewalk to the top, will be a solar screen, projecting about 18 inches away from the building, with louver arrangement and will permit viewing from the inside but not from the outside.  From the outside it will appear to be solid construction.  The project is expected to be completed about Nov. 15. Architects are Reddemann and Domann, Elm Grove, Wis.     WDTimes

 

Façade preserved at time of alteration

 

Chapter on Merchants National Bank  

 

           Street view

 

 

___ 1961 - 1962 __________________

ST. HENRY’S CHURCH RENOVATION   /   Watertown

                    

 

In June of 1961 Maas Brothers Construction of Watertown was awarded the general construction contract for the renovation of the church. 

 

Exterior work on the church began within weeks.  Brielmaier, Sherer and Sherer of Milwaukee were the architects. Maas Brothers of Watertown were the general contractors.  Other contractors were Ted Guse and Son, plumbing; Arthur Ruesch, electrical; and Kehr Brothers, heating. All were Watertown firms.  To accomplish the exterior work, Raue and Sons of Watertown received the contract for painting and to sandblast, tuckpoint, and apply a coat of silicone waterproofing to the original masonry areas of the church and tower.  The entire cost was $200,000. 

 

The interior of the church underwent an extensive transformation and was completely altered in appearance.  The beautiful, old, and exceedingly intricate main and side altars were tossed out.  All of the museum-like furnishings were done away with.  The marvelous old stained glass windows were either covered over to prevent their being seen or were removed and replaced with new colored windows of a simplified design.  In short, it was out with the old and in with the new.

 

The interior was entirely new, from the clean lines of the new high altar to the wood carvings from Oberammergau of the Stations of the Cross, of the two statues of the Blessed Mother and Child and of St. Joseph and Child for the two side altars and of the Corpus for the main altar crucifix.

 

The hand-carved cross, statues and stations and many other installations, were the contributions of individual parishioners.

 

New flooring of fir plywood sub-floor with vinyl tiles in the aisles and vinyl asbestos tiles under the pews was installed throughout the church. The contractor was the Middleton Fase Company of Milwaukee.

 

The sanctuary floor level was raised about 14 inches and the sanctuary was paneled in black walnut.  Paneling was also used in the transept and rear of the church, tending to darken the interior appearance.

 

The work was scheduled to be finished in time for the observance of St. Henry’s feast day in July of 1962, as most significant events in the history of the congregation were typically planned to coincide with the day of the church calendar designated as the patron’s feast day.

 

The completion of the year-long renovation project also coincided with the 100th anniversary of the laying of the cornerstone for the 1862 church, and thereby, yet another reason to celebrate.

 

 

___ 1963 __________________

ST. JOSEPH’S HOME FOR THE AGED

705 Clyman Street, Watertown

        Built 1963, with additional projects in 1969 and 1971

 

03 30 1963: 

Construction of a large new unit at St. Joseph’s Home in Clyman Street, to run from South Seventh to South Eighth streets, announced some time ago will run to an estimate of $225,000.  The project is the first major construction listed for the city so far this year.  It helped send the total of new building permits issued in March to $283,024.  The Maas Bros. Construction Co. of Watertown holds the general contract.  Also included in the March permits are four new residences, bringing the total of new homes here so far this year to eight.  Last year in the comparable period only three new homes had been approved.     WDTimes

 

Street view of this location 

 

Chapter on St. Joseph’s  

 

 

___ 1964 __________________

KROGER GROCERY STORE

813 East Main Street, Watertown

 

11 15 1964:  CONSTRUCTION BEGUN, NEW KROGERS

Work has begun on the Kroger Co. Supermarket in the 800 block of West Main Street where residences which formerly occupied the almost full block area were removed weeks ago to clear the site for the new construction.  Maas Bros. Construction Co., of Watertown, has been awarded the general contract for the building which will be 120 by 125 feet in size.  Floor space will cover 186,424 square feet.  Kroger’s will leave their present operation on Madison Street to move to the new location.  One factor in the relocation is that the present location does not permit sufficient parking facilities for a modern market.

 

Street view of this location 

 

Chapter on Kroger’s  

 

 

___ 1964 __________________

MORAVIAN CHURCH  /  NEW CHRISTIAN EDUCATIONAL CENTER

        510 Cole Street, Watertown

 

03 04 1964:  NEW CHRISTIAN EDUCATIONAL CENTER

Demolition of the old parsonage of the Watertown Moravian Church is well under way in Cole Street.  The building is being torn down to make way for the start of the new Christian educational center of the congregation which is to utilize the site.  The church recently announced plans for the construction of the addition. 

 

-- --           ADDITION PROGRESSES

A picture containing text, building, old, apartment building

Description automatically generated  

 

A brick building with windows

Description automatically generated with low confidence

 

        < Street view of this location 

 

Chapter on Ebenezer Moravian  

 

 

___ c. 1965 __________________

7-UP BOTTLING

      501 South First Street, Watertown

 

 

___ 1966-67 __________________

RIVERSIDE JUNIOR HIGH SCHOOL

A picture containing outdoor, sky, white, shore

Description automatically generated           A train on the railway tracks

Description automatically generated with medium confidence

 

              Watertown, WI

 

 

___ 1968-69 __________________

MARQUARDT MANOR NURSING HOME

      Has become Marquardt Village

A picture containing text, old, vintage

Description automatically generated           1045 Hill Street, Watertown

Concept drawing for new facility

 

03 29 1969 <> MARQUARDT CONSTRUCTION PROGRESS REVIEWED

A picture containing text, person, black

Description automatically generated        A picture containing text

Description automatically generated        Text

Description automatically generated with low confidence  

 

A picture containing text, newspaper

Description automatically generated        A picture containing text, person

Description automatically generated

 

MARQUARDT STATEMENT - Honoring Our Purpose

Logo, company name

Description automatically generated

Our community was created from a simple desire to help others and ensure no one in need ever goes without care.  It all began with our founding visionaries and the help of Dr. Milton Ochs, who donated 47 acres to the Western District of the Moravian Church.

 

For 50 years, we’ve been proud to be an innovative, progressive leader of residential living and healthcare for older adults. Marquardt Village was one of the first to offer all private rooms in our health center.  In 1985, long before it became commonplace, we introduced home health services to help people stay in their homes.

 

Chapter on Marquardt  

 

 

___ 1968-69 __________________

FISCHER’S / Enlarged and remodeled

         2-6 East Main Street, Watertown

 

By the mid-1960x, the citizens of Watertown and its environs had become rather used to hearing or reading stories of another step in Fischer’s expansion efforts.  So it was no surprise that an announcement was made in July 1967 that the merchant firm had acquired yet more property, that being the two stores to the immediate east of their existing structure.  The properties were purchased from the Bank of Watertown, which had earlier planned to expand into those facilities.

 

Fischer’s largest expansion ever got under way soon after the 1967 acquisitions.  The grand day for the “new” Fischer’s opening was Friday, March 14, 1969.  The different types of construction between the old and added buildings called for an overall new front.  Inside 4,000 square feet of floor space had been added.  The entire interior was redone.  The old and exposed wire cash carrier system was replaced with a concealed pneumatic tube operation which fed to the central cash office.  Every existing department was expanded and some were moved.  Many lines of merchandise were added, including one new department featuring a full range of major appliances.  Fischer’s was facing the challenges of the times with an aggressive marketing effort that served them well.

 

03 14       RIBBON CUTTING  /  EARL MAAS PARTICIPANT

A group of men in military uniforms

Description automatically generated with medium confidence           A picture containing text, person, group, posing

Description automatically generated  

 

The business was started in 1895 on Main Street west of the Rock river.  It was first known as Fellermann & Fischer, named after the original owners Eli Fischer, who was in his early 20s, and John Fellermann. 

 

Adjustments were promptly made after Fellermann left the company and Eli's father, Charles, was brought in as a partner to add a note of stability.  The name of the business was then changed to Chas. Fischer & Son.

 

Fischer's was incorporated on Nov. 20, 1901, with family members Charles, Eli, Otto, Hugo and Julius as stockholders.

 

The business relocated in 1917 to 2 E. Main St. after the Masonic Temple building was renovated following a fire.

 

         <  Street view of this location 

 

Chapter on Fischer’s  

 

 

___ 1968-69 __________________

WATERTOWN MEMORIAL HOSPITAL CONSTRUCTION

A picture containing text, outdoor, ground, factory

Description automatically generated                        

125 Hospital Drive, Watertown

 

Chapter on Watertown Memorial (and former St. Mary’s hospital)   

 

Scroll through image set within portfolio

 

 

___ 1971 __________________

07 13:  MEMORIAL HOSPITAL DEDICATION EVENT

A group of men in suits

Description automatically generated with low confidence

02 22 1971:  Earl Maas (center), Maas Bros. Construction, General contractor, Watertown Memorial Hospital

[L] Saul Smiley, architect, and [R] Jim Richards, project manager for the firm

 

A picture containing text, outdoor, old, vintage

Description automatically generated     Dedicated 07 13 1969

 

 

___ 1972 __________________

GOOD SHEPHERD LUTHERAN

A group of people standing in a field

Description automatically generated with low confidence      < 05 01 1972 Ground breaking

 

      < 1611 E Main, Watertown

 

Cross Reference:  Good Shepherd website 

 

 

___ 1972 __________________

FIRST STATE SAVINGS AND LOAN

          600 East Main Street, Watertown

 

Associated Bank, as it is known today, is the result of many mergers and acquisitions.  The founding of Associated Bank dates to 1970, when three strong banks in Northeast Wisconsin – Kellogg Citizens Bank of Green Bay, Manitowoc Savings Bank, and First National Bank of Neenah – formed a powerful alliance.  The Neenah-based bank is the oldest branch in the family tree, dating back to 1861.

 

Another key event in Associated’s history was the merger of First Financial and Associated Bank in 1997, retaining the name of the latter.  First Financial was a consolidation of many mostly Wisconsin based Thrifts and Savings and Loan banks.

 

         < Street view

 

 

___ 1973 __________________

SEALY MATTRESS PLANT

          401 Dayton Street, Watertown

 

04 05 1994 - Sealy Mattress Plant Closing

 

Sealy Mattress Co. will close its Watertown plant and move production elsewhere, a decision that will cost the local economy about 110 jobs.  Sealy officials informed employees about the closing of the facility, located at 401 Dayton St.  The production of mattresses and foundations will be moved to other Sealy plants in St. Paul, Minn., and Batavia, Ill.  Officials had decided that the company didn’t need three plants to serve the region.  Watertown Daily Times, 04 05 1994

 

 

___ 1974 __________________

ROYAL MEATS EXPANSION

          104 Division Street, Watertown

 

01 11 1968:  COLD STORAGE PLANT PURCHASED

 

Lowell Pritchard, owner and operator of the Royal Meat Market, 405 East Main Street, announced today the purchase of the Habhegger Company cold storage plant at 104 Division Street.  The plant is one of the city’s oldest and most widely known business concerns.

 

The purchase includes the four-story cold storage unit, a slaughter house, a completely equipped and modernized sausage kitchen and an office building.

 

Chapter on Royal Meats (former Habhegger Cold Storage)

 

 

___ 1975 __________________

REDIGAS, OFFICE & SHOWROOM

            773 North Church St, Watertown

 

          < Street view of this location 

 

 

___ 1976 __________________

PROVIMI INC.

       P.O. Box 508, Provimi Road, Watertown

 

Provimi was founded in 1927 near Rotterdam in The Netherlands and has grown to include more than 16,000 employees around the world.

 

The company joined the Cargill family of businesses in 2011.

 

 

___ 1978 __________________

MARQUARDT NURSING HOME

Mueller Apartments, Watertown, WI

 

 

___ 1980 __________________

MARQUARDT NURSING HOME

Mueller Apartments, chapel and nursing home, Watertown, WI

 

 

___ 1984 __________________

MARQUARDT NURSING HOME

Hus Apartments, Watertown, WI

 

Watertown Daily Times, 08 22 1983

Durant Architectural group has been instructed by the boards of Marquardt Memorial Manor, Mueller Apartments and Moravian Homes to develop construction documents, the next step in the development of Hus Apartments.  The sale of apartments will continue.  The objective is readiness for construction in November.  The Hus Apartments are designed for persons age 62 and older.  The two-bedroom apartments will be designed for security, with emergency call capacity in each room, freedom from maintenance concerns and easy access to the noon meal program at Mueller Apartments.

 

Watertown Daily Times, 11 17 1983

Ground was broken Monday for Hus Apartments, a senior citizen facility to be operated as part of Marquardt Memorial Manor.  Taking part in the ceremony were future residents of the new apartments, officials from Marquardt Manor and Mueller Apartments, and members of the Moravian clergy.  Hus Apartments is the fifth construction project by Maas Brothers Construction Company on the site of Marquardt Manor.  The project also represents the fifth set of plans prepared by Jerry Dommer of the Durant group of architects.

 

           A picture containing text, road, sky, outdoor

Description automatically generated   Removed

 

Link to Marquardt brochure:  

 

 

___ 1986 __________________

01 24       EARL MAAS, DIRECTOR OF MARINE BANK WEST

Earl Maas, 106 Lynn Street, has resigned as a director of Marine Bank West, officials of the bank announced on Friday.  Maas, who is a partner in Maas Brothers Construction, Inc., of Watertown, has been a director at the bank for the past 21 years.  Maas said he decided to resign as part of his plans to reduce his work schedule.  He was first named a director of the old Merchants National Bank in 1965, and was subsequently elected to the board of directors of the Marine Bank of Watertown when it was purchased by the Marine Corporation in the early 1970s.   WDT

 

 

___ 1987 __________________

07 13       MARQUARDT MANOR EXPANSON

After the two years needed for planning, receiving state approval and obtaining necessary financing, a major expansion and renovation project is under way at Marquardt Memorial Manor.  The estimated cost of the 9,000-square-foot addition is $750,000.  The Durrant group of Madison has been involved, and local contracts have been awarded to Maas Brothers Construction Co., Kehr Brothers Heating Inc. and Wagner and Sons Electric.  The building will be expanded on the east and south sides.  Officials of Marquardt Manor anticipate the project will be completed by February of 1988.  No interruption of the facility’s operations is anticipated during the project.      WDTimes

 

08 08       MARQUARDT MANOR EXPANSON UNDERWAY

Started in July was an expansion at Marquardt Memorial Manor, estimated at a cost of $650,000, was a 9,000-square-foot expansion.  The project will include an enlarged dining room, a new therapy area, a laundry and a pharmacy.  Additional space will be built for food storage, freezer and cooler areas.   Also one of the nursing stations will be enlarged and renovated.     WDTimes, 08 08 1987

 

 

___ 1989 __________________

ZINZENDORF HALL / Marquardt Village

A picture containing tree, grass, outdoor, house

Description automatically generated

 

 

___ 1991 __________________

ST. HENRY’S PARISH CENTER, Watertown

A black and white photo of a construction site

Description automatically generated with low confidence

The old church hall was constructed in June of 1911.  In 1966 the demolition of the hall at North Third and Cole Streets was carried out to make way for a new parsonage and administration building, along with three garages to serve the pastor and two curates of the parish.

 

In the spring of 1989 the congregation began raising pledges in the hope to raise enough funds to construct a 12,000-square-foot parish center on the site of the former hall that would be available to serve the entire community.  This was the second year of Father Thomas Segerson‘s pastorate and the drive for the construction of a $900,000 parish center was successful.

 

Segerson stressed that the center would not be restricted for use by the 1,400 or so families in the church’s parish.  The center could be made available for use by the city’s Park and Recreation Department and the YMCA.

 

The parish successfully negotiated with the city regarding the possibility of extending the new parish center west across Third Street.  The agreement resulted in the closing of one block of Third Street, north from Cady Street.

 

Architects for the center were the Durant Group from Madison and the general contractor was Maas Brothers of Watertown. 

 

Ground was broken for the center on May 22, 1991, and was almost completed by mid-December, such that a Christmas school play could be presented and a New Year’s Eve dance held.

 

 

___ 1991 __________________

MUELLER APARTMENTS / Marquardt Village

A picture containing text, outdoor, car, tree

Description automatically generated 

 

 

___ 1993 __________________

06 15       ANNA NITSCHMANN APARTMENTS / Marquardt Village

A flag on a flagpole in front of a building

Description automatically generated with medium confidence

Ground was broken this week for the 50-unit Anna Nitschmann Apartments which will be part of Marquardt Village.  The two-story apartment building will be located at 1035 Hill St. next to Zinzendorf Hall.  The project will include the extension of Hidde Drive from Perry Street to connect with Hill Street.  Construction began this week and is expected to be completed by Feb. 1, 1994, according to Kyran Clark, executive director of Marquardt Village.  Of the 50 apartments, 26 will be 800 square feet with one bedroom and one bath, and 24 will be 1,100 square feet with two bedrooms and two baths.  General contractor for the project is Maas Brothers of Watertown.  Plans for the building were developed by the architectural firm of Durrant-Heike.  Valley Bank of Watertown is handling the construction loan.

 

 

___ 1996 __________________

MOVE

Mass Bros. moved from West Main Street to Water Tower Court in 1996.

 

 

___ 1997 __________________

MILO LOPPNOW APARTMENTS / Marquardt Village

A picture containing sky, outdoor, road, street

Description automatically generated  

 

 

___ 2002 __________________

ST. HENRY’S CHURCH RENOVATION PROJECT

               Watertown, WI

 

The planning and design process for the 2002 renovation of the interior of the church considered the relationship of the altar, the ambo (same as pulpit in previous layouts of the church, when priests used to deliver a sermon instead of a homily), the tabernacle, the chair of the priest celebrant and the space occupied by the laity. 

 

The objective was to foster the active participation of the attendees of the service by their becoming one with the priest, the ministers of the Word, the service at the altar, and the music.  The public display of a sense of community was to displace private prayer and devotions during Mass.

 

The 2002 renovation of the interior of the church was deemed necessary because the church building had “not had any major changes in it in 40 years.  What was done 40 years ago was wonderful for its time.

 

The renovation to make the interior of the church worthy would be extensive and accomplished at an expense of approximately $475,000.  The most expensive part of the restoration project was the painting of the interior of the church.  The dark black walnut paneling was torn out and all walls and ceilings were painted.

 

The old tile flooring was removed and a new linoleum floor was installed.  The church was rewired and new lighting fixtures were installed.  The sound system was updated and improved.  In the past there were "dead" spots in the church.  A ventilation system was installed so that there is a constant airflow to help to regulate temperature, especially during the summer months.

 

The pews were refinished by parish volunteers and reinstalled at an angle to give a hospitable and inviting look.  Since parishioners gather as family and as a community to worship as one, the attempt was to have the new layout promote interaction and allow for better visibility of the altar during Mass.

 

The sanctuary was lowered and moved forward to allow active participation in the Mass.  The new oak floor sanctuary is located within the nave of the church in the attempt to "convey the unique quality of the actions that take place in this area, while at the same time expressing the organic relationship between those actions and the prayer actions of the entire liturgical assembly."

 

The oak altar (“Lord’s table”) was situated closer to the congregation and placed so as to be a focal point on which the attention of the whole congregation centers naturally.

 

A massive 21-foot oak backdrop screen with a crucifix separates the new sanctuary from the former sanctuary, in which the tabernacle is centrally positioned.  This area is now used as a private meditation or prayer area, as opposed to the general or communal worship space.

 

The architect was Chris Burgess and the general contractor was Maas Brothers Construction of Watertown.

 

The cost of the renovation was approximately $475,000.

 

 

___ 2002 __________________

08 28      80th ANNIVERSARY

   MAAS BROS. CONSTRUCTION

 

Buildings are made of brick and mortar, but building a business is done by people.  “People are what have made this place go,” said Robert “Bob” Maas, third-generation owner of Maas Brothers Construction which is observing its 80th anniversary this year.  The company survived during the Great Depression and thrived during the post-World War II construction boom.  It has also had to survive changes in technology and the manner in which a general contractor/construction management business is operated.  The focus of the business has always been to erect quality buildings, but the scope of the business has changed with the times, ensuring that the business will be carried on by the fourth generation of the Maas family.   WDT

 

 

___ 2003 __________________

L.D. FARGO PUBLIC LIBRARY

      Interior Renovation & Exterior Upgrade

        120 E Madison Street, Lake Mills, WI

 

 

This project included roof and flashing removal and replacement, foundation waterproofing, window replacement, and interior renovation.

 

Chapter on Fargo Public Library  

 

 

___ 2006 __________________

REPAIR FIRE DEPARTMENT FLOOR

A few men working on a construction site

Description automatically generated with low confidence

Jeff Kossman of J K Architecture and Engineering looked at three different options and the associated costs necessary to fix the floor in the Fire Department garage or apparatus area that was cracking under the weight of the emergency vehicles. . . .

 

. . . . The Watertown Common Council decided to repair the cracking floor of the Fire Department garage with a carbon fiber reinforced fiberglass system, awarding the contract to

Maas Brothers in Watertown for about $387,000. 51   [full text]

 

 

___ 2008 __________________

ALBERT W. MAAS DIES AT 85 [1922 – 2008]

 

Jan 1, 2008 <> Albert W. Maas, 85, of Watertown, died Tuesday, Jan. 1, 2008, unexpectedly from an apparent heart attack.

 

He was born on July 3, 1922, in Rio, son of Albert and Jenny (Caldwell) Maas.  He was a graduate of Watertown High School and a graduate of engineering at the University of Wisconsin-Madison.

 

Albert married the former Barbara Arzberger Oct. 18, 1947, at St. Paul's Episcopal Church in Watertown.  He served in the United States Navy during World War II in the Pacific Theater.

 

Albert and his brother, Earl, owned and operated Maas Brothers Construction Co. for 58 years, retiring in 1991.  He was a member of St. Paul's Episcopal Church in Watertown, Watertown Country Club, a life member of the Watertown Elks and American Legion.

 

Albert had been an excellent athlete in high school and also lettered in baseball at the University of Wisconsin-Madison in 1944.

 

Survivors include two daughters, Deborah (Chuck) Brix of Fort Lauderdale, Fla., and Sandra (Peter) Philipsen of New Smyrna Beach, Fla.; grandchildren, Sarah (Greg) Fazenbaker, Nicholaas Philipsen and Adriaan (Luigi) DiMeo; a brother, Earl (Grace) Maas of Watertown; special friend, Audrey Pagel of Watertown; nephews, Tom (Kathy) Maas, John (Chris) Maas and Bob (Paula) Maas; also a number of nieces, nephews, other relatives and friends.

 

He was preceded in death by his parents; his wife, Bobby, on Aug. 24, 2000; and two sisters, Edith Nevermann and Ruth Ann Kaercher.

 

Memorials may be directed to St. Paul's Episcopal Church in Watertown or the Al and Earl Maas Scholarship Fund with the Watertown Area Community Foundation.

 

A memorial service will be held 4 p.m. Saturday at St. Paul's Episcopal Church in Watertown with the Rev. Mark T. Moore officiating.  Inurnment will be at the church.

 

Visitation will be held on Saturday from 2 p.m. until the time of service at the church.

 

The Pederson Funeral Home of Watertown is serving the family.

 

 

___ 2009 __________________

ST. MARK’S LUTHERAN SCHOOL

     School building addition and renovation project. 

A picture containing text, outdoor, person, people

Description automatically generated

ST. MARK’S TO DEDICATE NEW SCHOOL, MUSIC CENTER

 

St. Mark’s Evangelical Lutheran Church of Watertown will dedicate its new and renovated school building and music center on Sunday at 10:45 a.m. The dedication service will be held in the gymnasium of the school at 706 Jones St.  Guest speaker for the service will be Professor Emeritus Daniel Deutschlander, a member of St. Mark’s, who will speak on Matthew 17:1-9, “Look Up and See Only Jesus.”  The pastors of the congregation, Michael Jensen, Karl Walther and James Werner, will be assisting in the service.  A special 55-piece orchestra has been assembled to accompany the worshipers in their songs of praise.  The orchestra is under the direction of Adrian Smith, minister of music at St. Mark’s.  The 265 students of the school will sing “Clap Hands.” The combined church choirs will sing the anthem, “This Is My Beloved Son.”

 

During the rite of dedication, the children along with the choirs will sing “Praise the Lord, His Glories Show.”  The Luther Prep String Ensemble will also play the offertory, “Speak, O Lord.”  Following the dedication service, the contractors will be recognized and thanked for their faithful work.  Excel Engineering of Fond du Lac designed the project and the general contractor was Maas Brothers Construction of Watertown.  There will be a reception in the commons of the school following the service.  A public open house will be held from 1 to 3 p.m. for anyone who would like to tour the school.  St. Mark’s Evangelical Lutheran Church has operated a Christian school in the city of Watertown since 1854 when its first pastor began classes.     Watertown Daily Times, 02 20 2009

 

 

___ 2012 __________________

“BUBBLE TECHNOLOGY”

      Used in Watertown Regional Medical Center Construction Project

A picture containing text, outdoor object

Description automatically generated

Maas Brothers expansion project for the Watertown Regional Medical Center.

 

Twenty thousand and two hundred balls to be exact.  That is the number of 2-pound plastic balls, each about the size of a basketball, that are being installed in the floor and roof of the new addition to the hospital’s expansion project.  The green technique, pioneered by BubbleDeck North America, has only been used on two other buildings in the United States, a technical college in California and a recent expansion to the Kohl Center in Madison.

 

BubbleDeck removes about one-third of the concrete needed to lay out the floor and roof of the expansion, both of which are about 12,000 square feet.  The same volume of concrete that is usually poured into the floor slab, which leads to less concrete being used and a lighter floor. The lighter floor, Clarke-Ames said, means less supportive columns and beams need to be installed and rooms can be more open.  Even though less concrete is being used, the structures are just as strong and stable with the bubble technology.

 

“What we are really creating is a honey comb inside,” Clarke-Ames said.  “The cellular structure of the honeycomb is the strongest natural system.”

 

Each bubble is a quarter of an inch thick, filled with air and is strong enough to take the weight of someone walking on it. 

 

Maas Brothers Project Superintendent Bart Liesener said this is his first time working with BubbleDeck and he has liked what he has seen so far.         WDTimes article

 

 

___ 2016 __________________

JOHNSON CREEK MIDDLE, HIGH SCHOOL

A picture containing text, grass, outdoor, tent

Description automatically generated                 

Five domes house nearly 500 of the district’s students in grades five through 12.  The $18.9 million combination high school and middle school opened last week for classes.  It has students, teachers and the community excited about the new learning spaces in the 109,000-square-foot facility and its potential to draw more residents to the village, located midway between Milwaukee and Madison.

 

Three of the monolithic concrete domed buildings are 240 feet in diameter. One is for core high school classes, another for core middle school classes for students in grades five through eight, and the third houses district offices and services, the music and arts departments and a shared library.

 

Two domes, each 260 feet in diameter, are both for the middle school and high school. One houses the gymnasium and community fitness center and has an attached, conventionally constructed wrestling room. The other dome contains metal and wood shops, physics, and a family and consumer education room with commercial kitchen equipment. Next to that is a flexible “cafetorium” that includes a kitchen, cafeteria, stage and about 250 removable seats. The domes are connected by enclosed walkways.

 

A $20 million referendum for a middle and high school facility was defeated in 2010 by 210 votes and in 2011 a $29 million project was rejected by a 2-1 margin.

 

In 2013, a $22 million construction plan using a series of five domes was turned down, but voters approved a less costly version in April 2014. The design of the school is based off a slightly smaller school that opened in 2000 in Grand Meadow, Minn.

 

The design for Johnson Creek saved $8 million in construction costs and is easier and less expensive to heat and cool compared to a building with right angles. The general contractor on the project was Watertown-based Maas Brothers Construction, while the lead architect was Rochester, Minn.-based TSP Inc.

 

Wisconsin State Journal article  

Monolithic Dome Institute article 

Newspaper supplement on new school   

 

 

___ 2018 __________________

EARL R. MAAS, 1920-2018

 

04 17      EARL R. MAAS, 1920-2018

Born July 23, 1920, in Mauston, Earl grew up in Watertown and graduated from Watertown High School in 1938 and UW-Madison with a degree in civil engineering.  On Feb. 12, 1944, he was married to Grace Cushman in Watertown.

 

Shortly after college he enlisted in the U.S. Navy and served as a naval officer on active duty for two years during World War II.  He was stationed in the Philippine Islands as a member of the "Seabees" (Construction Battalion).

 

After the war he went to work for Maas Brothers Construction Co., a company founded by his father in 1922.  He served for many years as president and the firm grew and prospered under his energetic and capable management.  Many of the buildings in this city and the surrounding communities were built under his leadership:  schools, factories, and city and county buildings including Watertown Hospital, Riverside Middle School, Webster, Douglas and Lincoln schools, St. Henry School, much of the Marquardt campus, the Jefferson County Courthouse and many more.    Full obituary   

 

 

___ 2018 __________________

07 18      TEMP-AIR INDUSTRIAL PLANT

A $3.1 million building permit has been issued to Maas Bros. Construction for a new industrial plant for Temp-Air.  The plant is being constructed at 500 Horseshoe Road.  The new plant will be approximately 33,719 square feet of space and is located in the city's west side industrial park.  Temp-Air is currently operating from its plant at N901 County Highway R, just north of the city.

 

 

___ 2019 __________________

MARQUARDT VILLAGE PROJECTS, Watertown, WI

 

A high angle view of a building

Description automatically generated with low confidence              

 

A building under construction

Description automatically generated with medium confidence                  Marquardt Chapel project

 

08 14      MARQUARDT PROJECT FUELS TORRID BUILDING PACE SO FAR IN 2019    (WDTimes headline)

Construction of a new 24-unit apartment complex in Marquardt Village, a senior living community located at 1045 Hill St.  Maas Brothers Construction is the contractor for the project valued at $8.5 million.  Dan Shea, project manager for Maas Bros. Construction, said the project includes an auditorium, remodeling and four other facilities in Marquardt.  Some of the cost, Shea continued, includes work done on parking lots, landscaping and other projects in the village.  "In a total of seven buildings, something is being done on some level or another," said Shea.  The goal is to have the project completed by spring.

 

 

___ 2019 __________________

GOOD SHEPHERD  /  SANCTUARY UPDATE

A picture containing text, building, window

Description automatically generated

It seems the project is exceeding our expectations on numerous levels.  Yes, it will be more expensive than we initially thought, but also more beautiful.  Many are talking about how much larger the space feels, and brighter.  It’s easier to read the hymnals and bulletins, and minus the cove the acoustics have improved a bit too.  The electrical work was recently completed.  Aaron Oestreich is looking into installing permanent speakers and video equipment.

 

The walls have been primed and painted. (Thank you, Jim Neitzel.  Jim took off of work the week of April 22 and took on the enormous task of priming and painting our worship space.  Jim happened to be the one who painted our sanctuary when it was first built in the early seventies!)

 

Those doing the work (architect, Maas Bros., United Electric, Watertown Siding) have been wonderful to work with: professional, courteous, clean, and with the highest standards.  Thanks to our custodians for their extra work.  Thanks to all those who set up and tore down for worship in the sanctuary and in the Fellowship Hall.  Thanks to our custodian (Rick Kuhlman) who saw an opportunity and seized it:  He borrowed the lift that was here and used it to sand and paint the cross on top of the bell tower.  Thanks also to Tim Raether for steering the Sanctuary Project through Phase 1.  The first two stained glass windows should be installed on Tuesday, April 30.

 

 

___ 2020 __________________

ST. NORBERT’S CHURCH RENOVATION

        Roxbury, WI

 

The August 9, 2020 edition of the Wisconsin State Journal contained a wonderful feature article on the current renovation project at St. Norbert’s church in Roxbury.  Written by Barry Adams, photos by John Hart.

 

Link to the State Journal article   

 

In light of having visited this church several years ago during research on the history of St. Henry’s, our attention was also drawn to the mention that this was a project of Maas Bros. Contractors of Watertown.  Matt Hollman, a superintendent with Maas, is quoted.

 

It took workers from Maas Brothers three weeks to erect 18 levels of scaffolding more than 130 feet high that would include two 9,000-pound beams to keep weight off the church roof.  The stone work and mortar on the church was deteriorating to the point of becoming a safety hazard despite a patchwork of repairs over the decades

 

The reason for our peaked interest is that in the late 1840s the founding Norbertine order of priests of St. Norbert’s sent missionary priests out on a circuit that included Watertown and the serving of its German residents, leading up to the founding of St. Henry’s (documented in A Church Built on the Rock, the 150-Year History of St Henry’s Catholic Church (Ken Riedl) ).

 

 

___ 2021 __________________

03 02       ORTHOPEDIC SPORTS MEDICINE CLINIC  /  WATERTOWN MEMORIAL HOSPITAL (WRMC)

Watertown Regional Medical Center announced that construction had started on a new rehabilitation and sports medicine clinic located inside the Medical Office Building next to the hospital.  A Maas Brothers Construction project.

 

-- --           MARQUARDT VILLAGE / VEHICLE STORAGE BLDG

Four-bay structure being constructed on Hus Drive

     Diagram, engineering drawing

Description automatically generated  

 

A picture containing sky, outdoor, grass, power shovel

Description automatically generated     A picture containing sky, outdoor, ground, power shovel

Description automatically generated     A picture containing outdoor

Description automatically generated

 

        

 

 

 

      Maas Brothers Construction Image Portfolio 

 

 

 

Table of Contents 

History of Watertown, Wisconsin

Index