Theological Seminary - Wisconsin Synod
Luther Preparatory School
1863 Fundraising in Germany
o Traveling by St. Mark’s Pastor (and Synod President) Johannes Bading to Germany and Russia to gather funds for establishing of Northwestern College. The Theological Seminary of the Wisconsin Synod was formally opened in the fall of 1863 in Watertown. Instruction was initially given by Professor Edward Moldehnke, Ph.D., in the school building of St. Mark's congregation. On September 14, 1865, the Synod's college, first known as "Wisconsin University" and then as "Northwestern University" opened its doors, and for five years the seminary was operated in conjunction with it. In 1870, the students of the theological department were transferred to Concordia Seminary at St. Louis, Missouri in accordance with an arrangement made with the Missouri Synod to conduct a seminary jointly
1864 Fundraising in Russia
01 14 Hon. E. D. Holton of Milwaukee is now traveling in Russia and was in Moscow on the 13th of last November. The Sentinel publishes an interesting letter from him and among other curious items is the following: “Strange to relate, I met a clergyman here of the Reformed Lutheran Church, soliciting funds to build a Theological Seminary at Watertown, Wisconsin. I could but smile and say ‘Well, I’ll give it up! Wisconsin out here in the heart of Russia, solicits fund to build up her seminaries!’” If the proposed institution is ever built it will be an interesting inquiry as to ascertain which will have done the most for it – the city of Moscow or Watertown. WD
08 11 Watertown Theological Seminary and College
The foundations of the buildings of the Watertown Theological Seminary and College [Northwestern] are now being laid. The main building, now being erected, will be 65 feet long, 55 deep and three stories high, with a basement, the whole surmounted with an astronomical observatory. The foundations will be stone and the walls brick. The halls, lecture and tuition rooms are conveniently arranged and will be amply furnished. Mr. Louis Charbeneau of this city is the architect and the work is being done under his supervision. The main building will be completed this fall and be immediately put in readiness for the receptions of students. Two wings are to be added as soon as they may be needed.
This institution, which will be a great advantage and credit to our city, will be under the care and superintendence of the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod. That it will be successful and prove a benefit and blessings to thousands who will here find the means and facilities for pursuing studies in all the various departments of learning – theological, classical or scientific – cannot now admit of a doubt. The services of distinguished and experienced professors will be employed and everything done to render the institution worthy of public confidence and support. WD
1865 Founding of Northwestern College
Northwestern College was founded in Watertown, Wisconsin, in 1865. It was later merged with Dr. Martin Luther College in New Ulm, MN, in 1995 to form the new Martin Luther College, based in New Ulm.
1866 - 1870
Adolf Hoenecke (1835-1908) received his theological training at the University of Halle in Germany. He served as pastor of Wisconsin Synod congregations in Farmington, Watertown, and Milwaukee. His learning and confessionalism made him the natural choice to head the Wisconsin Synod seminary, first from 1866 to 1870 in Watertown, and then again from 1878 to 1908, first in Milwaukee and then in Wauwatosa.
08 14 John Kaltenbrumm, a teacher at Northwestern, appointed Principal of Union School No. 2 WD
07 04 Democratic candidate for governor, talk regarding President A. F. Ernst WG
07 30 Main Building Fire (the Kaffeemuehle)
At 10:30 in the evening lightning struck the flagstaff on the belfry of the Main building of the Northwestern University and within a short time the entire building was in flames.
Then came the disaster of 1894. During a thunder storm a bolt of lightning sought the flagpole on the cupola of the old college building as an object of its fury; the fire left nothing but the naked walls, rent and blackened. It was a sore trial, and if the men that saw so much of their work laid low by this turn of fate would have shown their dejection no one could have blamed them. But, as is often the case, the hour of need calls up resources that are unsuspected in the placid times of unbroken serenity. One short year passed and the synod had replaced the building with a modern structure erected at a cost of $18,000. The new recitation hall in almost every way is superior to the old one if one considers the uses to which it is put, though the older students will not have it that any building can be quite as fine and splendid as the one which typified their alma mater. The new hall contains nine class rooms, the faculty room, the chemical and physical laboratories, the assembly hall and chapel on the third floor, and the library room, which has ceased to be adequate to the increasing demands of the expanding library.
Soli Deo Gloria, 1865-1915. By Arthur Hoermann and Hans Koller Moussa. Northwestern Publishing House, Milwaukee, p 61.
10 17 Baseball: Sacred Heart vs. Northwestern
Last Wednesday afternoon the Sacred Heart College team defeated the Northwestern University boys at the city ball park by a score of 20 to 8. The battery was Connors and Murphy for the former, and Kronitz, Weimar Frederick and Redlin for the latter. Connors struck out ten men, and the three N.W.U. pitchers twelve. WR
10 24 Cornerstone ceremony for new addition to building WR
11 07 Aid in Reconstruction
Rev. O. H. Koch (of Columbus) collected the handsome sum of $600 from the members of his congregation to aid in the reconstruction of the Northwestern University building at Watertown, recently destroyed by fire. WR
11 28 Football: Sacred Heart vs. Northwestern
The first matched game of football between the Northwestern University and Sacred Heart College eleven was played yesterday afternoon on the former's campus. Although the weather was extremely cold and a strong northwest wind prevailed, the teams put up a fairly good game and showed numerous strong points in the individual work of the players. As the elevens came on the field it was seen that the Sacred Hearts averaged heavier by several pounds than their opponents . . . The features of the game were the sprinting of Farrell and Quinlen, the tackling of Stuehm, and the work of Krafft and Brand back of the line, although the latter was open to criticism for not better guarding his goal. The time of each half of the game was cut from the customary thirty-five minutes to twenty minutes. The Northwesterners play the Milwaukee Athletic Society eleven tomorrow at Milwaukee. WR
11 30 An account of the football game between Northwestern and Sacred Heart. Interesting statements like "it proves that rugby is a manly sport and when played by gentlemen is not so utterly bad after all."
12 05 On account of objections by the faculty of the university, the Northwester football eleven were obliged to cancel their game in Milwaukee for last Thursday. WR
1895 Conference of Clergymen
10 23 A conference of clergymen from neighboring churches belonging to the Wisconsin Lutheran synod began today at the Northwestern University and will continue through tomorrow. Some thirty divines are in attendance. Rev. J. H. Brockmann, of St. Mark's Church, is president of the conference, while Profs. Ernst and Notz, of the university, officiate as referees. Interesting topics are on the program for discussion and the meeting will no doubt prove of much value to the participants. WR
11 20 Football prohibited
Football has been prohibited as a pastime at the Northwestern University by the faculty, at least, so far as games with outside teams is concerned. The management of the club was in hopes of securing permission for a Thanksgiving Day game, if nothing more, but this even was refused. The objection of the faculty arises over the roughness which sometimes characterizes the sport and the consequent injury of the players. The banishment of football from the university field causes considerable disappointment among the student-body, as well as among the devotees of the game in the city. WR
11 27 New Flag Pole
A new flag pole, ninety feet in height, is to be raised at the Northwestern University, standing midway between the two main buildings. It will be furnished by a Michigan firm. WR
1898 Sham Battle / United States vs. the Spaniards
05 11 The announcement that the Northwestern University cadets would engage in a sham battle on the university campus Friday afternoon last attracted a large number of spectators to witness the war-like proceedings. Two companies of regularly uniformed and equipped cadets, inspired by music of the military band, were pitted against one company of misfit soldiers rigged out in a sort of guerilla style. The former of course were the United States forces, while the latter was supposed to represent the Spaniards. From the start there was no doubt as to who would be the victors, and after a liberal exchange of volleys of blank cartridges the Spanish contingent was forced to retire, much to the delight and satisfaction of the lookers. The "battle" seemed to be of considerable interest and the cadets showed very creditable proficiency in the manual of arms and general military maneuvers. WR
05 30 College Band, Military Company and faculty at dedication of the soldiers' monument, Veteran’s Park. WG
1904, 11 02
Members of the Wisconsin synod met at St. Mark's Lutheran Church in this city, about 225 ministers and laymen being present. The matter up for consideration at the meeting was the erection of a $50,000 addition to Northwestern University in this city.
The matter of looking after the construction of the building was left in the hands of fifteen members, composing the board of trustees, three of whom reside in Watertown, being, Rev. Julius Klingmann, Fred. W. Gamm and John Schlueter. Plans are now being drawn, and it is expected that the contract will be let and work on the building begun early next spring.
Daniel Kusel, Sr. instrumental in founding of Northwestern
1905, 05 07
Northwestern University is planning to celebrate the laying of the cornerstone of the new dormitory on Sunday, May 14. The event will be an important one in the history of the institution and is looked forward to with much interest.
The fifth annual concert of the N. W. U. band and orchestra will be held at Turner Opera House on Friday evening, May 12. The popularity of these concerts in the past years leaves no doubt but that the event will again this season be a success in every particular. Besides the instrumental selections by the band and orchestra, solos will be considered, also songs by the N. W. U. Glee Club. Tickets are 35 and 25 cents and reserve seats are on sale at G. Gamm’s drug store.
1905, 05 12
The faculty of Northwestern University takes this opportunity of extending to the people of Watertown and vicinity an invitation to participate in the ceremony of the cornerstone laying of the new dormitory Sunday, May 28. Mayor Wertheimer and the city council will be present as well as visiting clergy and alumni. The ceremony will begin at . The erection of the $50,000 building at the University indicates the growing popularity of this institution and our citizens should show by their presence on the above occasion that the untiring efforts of the faculty and others in charge who have made possible this work are appreciated.
1905, 05 18
Owing to delay in work, the ceremony of laying the cornerstone for the dormitory at Northwestern University has been postponed until Tuesday afternoon, May 30, Memorial Day. Arrangements are being perfected to make the occasion a memorable one. At least one, possibly two excursion trains will be used to bring the hundreds of Milwaukee visitors here. A choir of several hundred voices from Milwaukee is also expected to take part.
1905, 05 23
The cornerstone laying of the new N.W.U. dormitory will take place next Tuesday afternoon. This important event in the history of the University will be marked by interesting and impressive ceremonies. The committee on arrangements reports that thousands of visitors will come to Watertown on this occasion. Excursion trains will arrive during the forenoon from Milwaukee and from points on the Northwestern road. The visitors will be escorted from the depots to the University by the college band, military company, and reception committee. The ceremonies will begin at 2 o'clock. Prof. A. F. Ernst, president of N.W.U., will deliver an address of welcome while the main address will be made by Rev. Christian Dowidat of Oshkosh. The cornerstone will be laid by Rev. Ph. von Rohr, president of the Wisconsin synod. Musical selections will be rendered by the N. W. U. Band, a mass choir of 200 voices from Milwaukee and St. Mark's mixed choir.
1905, 06 03
The ceremony of the laying of the cornerstone of the new N.W.U. dormitory Tuesday afternoon was witnessed by an immense crowd of visitors and home people. It was an ideal day for this important event and nearly 2500 people were present. A special train of twelve coaches brought many of the visitors from Milwaukee, but other neighboring cities were also represented by good-sized delegations. The visitors arrived at about 11 a.m. and were escorted to the N.W.U. by the college band and the reception committee
A collection for the building fund amounted to several hundred dollars. In this connection it might also be stated that the institution has been exceedingly fortunate in securing liberal subscriptions from people all over the state, and the committee in charge anticipates no difficulty in securing all the funds needed to pay the new dormitory, which will cost completed $50,000.
1905, 08 09
The fall Semester of the Northwestern University will begin September 6. The indications are that the student body will be very large the coming year, much more than heretofore, as there will be greater accommodations for the students. The work on the new dormitory is nearing completion, the masons are engaged in plastering the same, which is no small job, as it is a very large building and when occupied, will be a credit, not only to the University, but the city as well, and a monument in brick testifying to the energy and industry of the president and his assistants.
1905, 09 02
It is expected that the registration at the Northwestern University for the First semester beginning September 6, will be much larger than last year and may possibly reach three hundred. The rooms in the third story of the new dormitory at the Northwestern University have been plastered and the masons are now at work on the walls of the rooms in the second story. The way the work is progressing the masons will be through by September 5th. It is expected that the building will be occupied at a much earlier date than was anticipated in the early summer.
1905, 09 06
The faculty, and the hundreds of N. W. U. students who arrived for the opening of the new school year, were greatly shocked Monday evening by the unexpected and sudden death of one of the younger students, Fred Braamstadt, whose home is at north La Crosse. It appears that the young man had been confined to a hospital for some weeks; he was convalescent, however, and returned home, full of hopes and plans for his studies at the University. He had been advised not to resume his studies at once, but finally obtained permission to be here with his fellow students on the opening day. He arrived on the 5:20. The journey to Watertown proved much however, for the unfortunate - he was only seventeen - and at 10:30 p.m., five hours after his arrival, he succumbed to heart failure. The deceased was popular and esteemed by is fellow students, and his death has cast a gloom over all.
1905, 09 21
The enrollment of the Northwestern University beginning of the present semester was the largest in the history of the institution. Nearly 300 students are enrolled and in attendance and the prospects for the University were never brighter than at the present time, which is certainly gratifying to those who have worked hard to build up the school and make it a successful educational center. The costs to the students in the Northwestern is so moderate and the advantages so great, there should be and undoubtedly will be, in time, twice as many students in attendance, for the expenses of the entire four year course will hardly exceed the cost of one year in many of the other institutions of learning in the state and the instruction imparted is not more solid and important than in the Northwestern, except in special lines.
The faculty is composed of able men who are enthusiastically devoted to their work and the students come under their personal supervision, which tends to give them moral stamina and nobleness of character and prepare them for the higher and better ideals of life.
1905, 10 17
Great was the joy of the friends, students and professors of the Northwestern University on Sunday, the 15th inst., for on that day they were permitted to celebrate the fortieth anniversary of the old dormitory and at the same time the dedication of the new dormitory which replaces the old one destroyed by fire.
Early in the morning a goodly number of visitors arrived from the neighboring villages and cities and the surrounding country. They spent the morning hours in going through the several buildings used for educational purposes. For the accommodations of the visitors dinner, was served in the spacious dining hall. There are now 250 students in the school, and for some those accommodations have been much too small. In 1894 lightning struck the building, which burned down and was supplanted by a modern structure. This temporarily may relieve the pressing need for more room. In 1904 this synod decided to erect the building which was dedicated Sunday.
1905, 11 02
There was a unique and attractive advertising device Friday evening and Saturday in one of the front windows of Gamm's drug store, representing a fire, and was very realistic, over which there was a frying pan in which there were several little figures representing football players being roasted to a turn, who were supposed to portray members of the Marquette College team who played the N. W. U. Team in this Saturday afternoon, the game resulting in a victory for the home team by a score of 18 to a goose egg.
1905, 11 10
In spite of a snow-covered field the Northwestern University appeared on the checkerboard today and yesterday, running through hard practice for the Lawrence game which will be played at Appleton Saturday for the state college championship. All men are in good condition with the exception of Kumm and Pankow, but who will most likely be in trim by Saturday. A scrimmage took place between the first and second team today and Capt. Wendland paid special attention to speed and pulling the man along carrying the ball.
1905, 11 16
On Saturday, Nov. 11, the N. W. U. football team met an overwhelming defeat at the hands of the Lawrence team at Appleton. After the first few minutes of play Lawrence had everything its own way and their goal was never in danger. Several inexcusable fumbles on the part of Northwestern helped to bring up the score. Lawrence is surely the best small College teams we have ever met, their interference being well nigh perfect. We have no excuses whatever to offer, we were simply beaten because we met our superiors
1906, 01 24
Dr. Wenth takes the place in the faculty at Northwestern University made vacant by the passing away of the late Prof. Otto D. Hoyer. The Doctor is a native of Germany where he was educated having attended the gymnasium. After completing his studies there, he served one year in the German navy. Then he came to this country and studied English in an American college, afterward attending the Lutheran Seminary at St. Louis for three years and was then sent as a missionary to Canada where he labored for some time and then returned to Germany and was honored with the degree of Ph. D. at the University at Rostock. He then returned to this country and became pastor of the Lutheran congregation at Halfway where he remained until called to take the professorship at the University.
1906, 05 30
Under direction of Dr. Ott, F. H. Ullerich acted as chef at the big picnic dinner at the Northwestern University Wednesday. He understands the business, never missed a cog, the multitude was fed and yet there was plenty left. They don't do things in a small way up at the university and the people of this city are beginning to appreciate the institution for only words of praise are heard, relative to the faculty and students.
1906, 07 11
The fire department was called out shortly before last evening having been summoned to the Northwestern University grounds. In some unknown manner a fire started burning a small barn and chicken coop. It was a stubborn fight on the part of the fire laddies for the reason that there was very weak water pressure. Considerable criticism of the water works system was heard. Superintendent Fix offered a plausible excuse in the fact that hundreds of lawns were being sprinkled about that time of the day, which has a great tendency to lessen the pressure, which it is said at the time yesterday, would hardly permit throwing a stream up to a second story window.
To some of the members of the fire department and interested citizens outside the companies, it was another excellent illustration of the fact that the fire engines should not be sold, as is being advocated by some. The hold that the engines should be kept in possession of the city and in good repair in case of calls to the outlying districts, where the service of the engines are necessary, owing to the defective pressure or the absence of water mains. Such a position is well taken and that both engines are absolutely necessary to give all necessary fire protection.
Northwestern University is again alive and students have taken hold of their books after two weeks of vacation. Recitations commenced Thursday morning at the usual time with appropriate ceremonies . . . Nearly all students had returned punctually being present for the chapel exercises. While the boys were gone the recitation building and the dormitory received a general cleaning and minor things were repaired. The halls and stairways were oiled in the recitation hall. The students' reading room, which has so far been in one of the lower rooms of the main, building was taken over to the dormitory, where a special room had been made for it when the building was erected, but which had not been finished and arranged for its purpose until during this Christmas vacation. This room is also fitted with many reference books for studies . . . therefore serves at the same time for a reference room. The former reading room has been turned into an assembly room for the city boys, where they may leave their books etc., and study during free periods. Quite an innovation is the table in Mr. Bolle's class room for the business department. It's so arranged that academy students can perform actual business now. 01 08
o Yesterday was a day of joy for the Northwestern University, that the quarantine was raised after two weeks of almost isolation. It is true, students were permitted to walk about on the college grounds, but in the course of time that became rather monotonous, and as the hour and minutes when they again would be declared at liberty could hardly be waited for. After doing a hard day's work studying and then not take a little outdoor exercise will probably not be noticed very much for one day but to be cut off the world for two whole weeks, work hard mentally and take no more exercise than a walk around the Northwestern university campus would soon be enough for any young man. 02 06
-- -- Class of, Otto Emil Plath, father of Sylvia Plath
01 25 Every possible effort is being made by the health authorities of the city to curb the small pox at the Northwestern University and confine it to the individual case, also to prevent its spread in the city. As The Leader announced yesterday, the university was quarantined yesterday morning and the students are not permitted to leave the buildings. Health Commissioner C. R. Feld is taking every precaution to prevent an epidemic and yesterday was in consultation with Dr. Harper of Madison, secretary of the state board of health. The health department of the city has ordered a vaccination of all the students at the school and yesterday afternoon about thirty of them were vaccinated, while in the evening doctors were at the university completing the task. Some of the students were opposed to the order and voiced their objections at a mass meeting of students yesterday afternoon, which lasted about an hour. It seems, however, that most of the students have yielded and are “taking their medicine.” There were but two periods (two hours) of recitations yesterday morning, the same having been abandoned the balance of the day.
03 20 The reference room in the new dormitory of Northwestern University has recently been equipped with a fine oak book shelf. During a recent visit to the Varsity; Rev. Machmueller noticed the dilapidated condition of the shelves and immediately acquainted the Ladies' Aid Society of his congregation with the facts on returning home. In a comparatively short time Alexander Sitz, president of the Senior class, received a check for thirty-five dollars from the treasurer of the society with the aid of which the improvement was made possible. The reference room now presents a neat and inviting appearance. However, there is still room for other societies to give proof of their interest in Northwestern as the many rows of empty shelves will testify. Dr. Ott for his part has contributed his share in placing all works of reference that could be spared in the library at the disposal of the boys.
03 27 Repairing the tennis courts
With the return of spring active work has again been begun in repairing the tennis courts of Northwestern. While tennis has been played at the 'varsity for many years it was not until last season that definite arrangements for the accommodation of every player of the club were made. A schedule of games for the entire season has been drawn up, the playing of which induced the keenest rivalry, and some remarkably skillful players were developed in consequence. . . . At the close of the season . . . officers were elected for the present year. . . . In these men the club has a corps of officers well able to prove themselves worthy of the confidence placed in them. Its president is determined to make tennis more than a mere secondary branch of athletics at Northwestern. . . . To accommodate the increased membership, which will probably number twenty-five or more, sod will be skinned for a fourth court. The old ones will be slightly elevated. WL
04 10 Senior class not obliged to complete the entire year
Recitations at the seminary came to a close on April 9 and will be continued on April 22. Owing to the fact that a number of congregations have been without pastors for many months, the senior class at the seminary, instead of being obliged to complete the entire year's work, will be graduated at the end of the second semester.
The examinations took place on April 9 and today the Mission Commission meets with the purpose of assigning parishes to the different candidates. As has been the case for years past, the demand for ministers again greatly exceeds the supply. Eleven congregations have sent in applications while only seven graduates are ready to enter the ministry immediately. Mr. Koehler, the eighth, intends to continue his studies, presumably at St. Louis. WL
05 13 Military company drilling daily in preparation for the sham battle WL
06 17 Seniors smoke the pipe of peace; end of seven years war at Northwestern WL
06 26 1908 Commencement / Farewell to the Senior of 1908!
Northwestern University celebrated its commencement at the university chapel yesterday forenoon, the exercises commencing at 10:00 o'clock. Many relatives and friends of the graduating class and of the institution were present, the chapel being filled to its capacity.
The decorations for the occasion were neat and appropriate and consisted of the college colors as the college colors, black and red, and of the graduating class colors, purple and gold, above the stage was placed the motto of the class reading “Poscimur '08.” The letters were in gold on a purple background.
The exercises consisted of three orations by members of the graduating class, selections by the band, orchestra, choir and quartette of the university, addresses by Prof. A. F. Ernst, prayer by Rev. O. Hoenecke of Milwaukee and the hymn, “A mighty fortress is our God,” sung by the assembly. All the numbers were listed to with intense interest by the audience and were a credit to the institution. Watertown Weekly Leader
08 14 Schlueter and Mouffa appointed professors. WG
10 16 Fourth artillery, US Army camped on campus WG
10 23 Northwestern University football team defeated Sacred Heart College WG
02 15 Lincoln Day Celebration, cadets and band take part in WG
04 02 Annual banquet of university paper, ''Black and Red" WG
05 07 Marchout at Lake Mills; band and military company WG
05 14 Interurban excursion to Watertown on Memorial Day, Milwaukee Northwestern University Club WG
05 28 Memorial Day observance, University Band, Cadets and Students WG
06 04 Students injured; explosion of powder while loading shells for a sham battle WG
07 02 Northwestern University to be renamed; purchase land for professors’ residences WG
08 20 Enrollment, number of alumni WG
09 24 President William H. Taft stops at depot and speaks; students on hand WG
02 11 New gymnasium, campaign to raise $25,000 for WG
02 25 Students celebrated Washington’s birthday; auspices of Lyceum and Philomathian societies WG
06 03 Decoration Day observance, band, cadets and students, Oak Hill Cemetery WG
06 03 Cadets and band marched to Juneau WG
06 24 Dr. John Henry Ott, 25 years of professional activity in educational fields
07 15 Prof. William Notz declines call WG
02 23 Recall Student Days. Former students of Northwestern College, Watertown, will hold their fifth annual reunion in the Republican House on Feb. 28. Invitations have been extended this year not alone [only] to the “grads” but also to those who attended the institution for a number of years only. The college faculty will be represented and the Northwestern Club of Chicago will also send a delegation. WG
03 02 Dr. F. W. Nott is 70. Dr. F. W. Notz, professor of Greek at Northwestern College, observed his 70th birthday anniversary Saturday. Receiving his degree of Doctor of Philosophy from the University of Tuebingen in 1863, he later accepted the chair of ancient languages with Pennsylvania College, and a few years thereafter with Muehlenberg College of the same state. He will have completed fifty years of work in pedagogical fields at the close of this year. Former students of Northwestern, now residing in Milwaukee, gave him a special reception at their annual reunion at the Republican House Milwaukee, on February 28. WG
05 04 The Bee-Dee Co. team opened the season with a victory by defeating the strong North Western College team on the college campus by the score of 6 to 3. George Richards did the twirling for the Bee-Dees and pitched first class ball while Miller did good work behind the bat. Berg, Masch and Mahnke were the batteries for the college boys. Unfortunately the stunt Creuz tried to perform and pick up the ball with his teeth turned out to be a fizzle and allowed the N.W.C. team their runs, who might have left the diamond with but one run to their credit had it not been for this incident.
06 22 Last Friday evening Prof. J. H. Ott very hospitably entertained the senior class of the Northwestern College at a 6 o'clock dinner. WG
05 16 Cadets March to Jefferson
Cadets March to Jefferson
The cadets and military band of Northwestern College, this city, marched to Jefferson Wednesday morning on their annual “hike'' where they were the guests of St. John's Lutheran Church congregation Wednesday and Thursday. Wednesday afternoon was devoted to outdoor exercises at the county fairgrounds. Following is the program for that afternoon.
1:30 ball game, Jefferson vs. Northwestern.
3:15 dress parade and drill, cadets.
3:45 sham battle, cadets.
Band concert afternoon and evening.
Thursday, Ascension Day, the young men attended services at St John's Lutheran Church in a body and will arrive home this evening. WG
05 30 Watertown Cadets in Jefferson. The cadets and the military band of the Northwestern College at Watertown were the guests of the local Lutheran congregation last Wednesday and Thursday. With very few exceptions they all started on the march from Watertown at about five o'clock in the morning and arrived here shortly after ten o'clock. The cadets numbered 64, the band 31 members, and besides these there were also some ball players here, all told over 100 guests from Watertown, who found a royal welcome at the homes of the members of St. John's congregation . . . WG
05 30 Memorial Day / New Gymnasium
The laying of the corner stone of the new gymnasium at Northwestern College took place today, and hundreds of visitors are in the city for the celebration. The program opened at 10 a.m. with speeches, chorus singing and music by the college band and the laying of the corner stone. Luncheon was served in the college refectory.
In the afternoon the military company gave a parade, drill and sham battle at 1:15. Following this a double header baseball game, the first one between Northwestern College and St. Mark's young men of Milwaukee and the second one between Northwestern and Watertown. The ball games were followed by a series of athletic events. WG
07 18 Appointments at N. W. C.
Prof. Edmund Bliefernicht of the Lutheran seminary of New Ulm, Minn., and formerly of this city, has been appointed to fill the vacancy left by Dr. F. W. A. Notz, retired, at the Northwestern College. The Rev. Hermam Gieschen of Wauwatosa has received the call to fill the vacancy left by Prof. M. Sprengling, who will go to Harvard University as an instructor. They will teach the ancient languages. The above appointments were made at a meeting of the board of regents held in Milwaukee Tuesday, of which William Gorder, Sr., Fred Gamm and John Schlueter of this city are members. WG
08 15 Business Education [paid advertisement]
Why go to a different city for a business education when you can get it in your home town for less money?
The Commercial Department of the Northwestern College offers a thorough and up-to-date business education. Thorough courses in Shorthand (Gregg System), Touch Typewriting, Bookkeeping, Penmanship, Arithmetic, Spelling, Geography, Banking, Business Law, Political Economy and Civics.
Students in the Commercial Department may also take courses in such branches as Mathematics, Natural Sciences, History, German, French and English.
FIRST TERM BEGINS AUGUST 27TH
This school is open to young men and young women
Catalogues will be sent on application by
PROF. A. F. ERNST
519 College Ave., Watertown, Wis. WG
08 15 Gymnasium – A gymnasium which is being erected at a cost of $30,000 will be finished Sept. 1st WG
12 07 Splendid New Gymnasium
Northwestern College is to be congratulated on the splendid new gymnasium presented by the Milwaukee alumni. The handsome building pictured and described in the current issue of Black and Red, the college periodical, cannot but add to the attractions of the college, and what means far more, to its usefulness, to its equipment for meeting all the needs of the young men who go there to fit themselves for the work they will have to do. So universal is the recognition today of the need of real physical training and development that one does not have to argue for athletics in college. The function of the college today is to develop every side of a man that it is able to reach, and only as it does this will it earn its right to appeal as a place that fits men for life. WG
1913 Rev. Christians attended Northwestern, graduating in 1913.
Northwestern College Band in 1913. Irvin Gamm is standing fourth from the right in the second row from back.
06 11 Grand Commencement Concert - Will Outclass All Previous Presentations
Prof. H. B. Duetzmann on Program for Violin Solo.
The boys at Northwestern College, being well aware of their success in their last annual concert and their prestige among the musicians of Watertown, have decided to give them another treat on the evening of the 18th of June. This concert will be one of the great features of commencement day and for this very reason the boys have entered the work with extraordinary zeal; they feel assured of success in every respect. The band, orchestra and chorus have now had a full year of systematic practice and training and are now in an ideal condition for a concert. Their selections are something entirely new, something that will “take” with all music lovers. The quartette and Girls’ Glee club will also appear again with “snap and catch” to cheer the audience and give the right flavor to the evening’s program. The main feature of the program, however, will be a violin solo by the director, Prof. Duetzmann. He will give you a real treat in violin music, and all who were fortunate in hearing him at the last concert will surely come again. Miss Eichrodt of Milwaukee, a professional pianist, will accompany him. Judging from the enthusiasm awakened at their last concert, there will, no doubt, be a very large audience present. Tickets will therefore be on sale at Gamm’s Corner Drug Store. WG
06 26 Northwestern’s Fiftieth Anniversary Golden Jubilee, six thousand at services.
06 29 A meeting of the board of trustees of Northwestern College will be held in Watertown on Wednesday when the matter of selecting a successor to Prof. Martin Eichman will be considered. At this meeting it is proposed to devise a scheme whereby the duties of inspector will be lessened and it is with the probabilities that the former onerous duties will be divided. WDT
Campus map, 1915
1919 Prof. E. E. Kowalke appointed president of the college.
1922 W H Graebner, Northwestern College Board of Trustees, 26 years
Gen. Carlos P. Romulo, ambassador from the Philippines, spoke at College during the darkest days of World War II WDT
12 01 The Northwestern College Cagers put on their running shoes Friday night and galloped to a 104-86 victory over the Thiensville Seminary in a game played on the college court here. The 104 points set a new record for the school gym and was also a new high total for a Northwestern team. The NWC 1953-54 team hit 103 points against Aurora in a game at Aurora and a 99 point mark set two years ago was the high for the gym here. The game was close only to the opening minutes when the Sem, paced by Rich Winter, George Rothe and Dan Habeck, all former NWC cagers, stayed with the collegians in the chase for the bucket. However, Northwestern began to pull away as the half wore on and the collegians were out in front at the intermission, 55 to 41.
Watertown Daily Times, 08 10 1955
Northwestern College will begin razing two buildings on its campus Monday to make room for scheduled further expansion of the college. The two buildings to be removed are the old classroom building and the residence at 1300 Western Avenue, which many persons identify as the "old Dr. John H. Ott residence." The late Dr. Ott was for many years a member of the college faculty. The home has not been occupied for some time. The two buildings will provide the site for a new classroom and chapel building. Plans for this project were announced some time ago, but no starting date has been set. However, the site is being cleared and it is hoped work on the new structure can be started perhaps before the end of this year
Watertown Daily Times, 11 28 1955
Northwestern College, now in the midst of its biggest building project since the college was founded, is making plans for the formal dedication of its three newest buildings sometime next summer or early autumn. Excavation work on the latest of the three new units was completed some time ago. It is the new classroom-chapel building. Footing for the classroom hall has been poured and form setting for the walls was started recently.
Watertown Daily Times, 11 30 1955
The new classroom-chapel building to be erected on the Campus of Northwestern College will cost an estimated $360,000. Work on the new building has started and it is to be completed in August of 1956 at which time dedicatory services are being planned for the unit, together with that of two other new buildings constructed on the campus, the refectory and the dormitory. In addition to the permit for the classroom-chapel building, college authorities have been granted a building permit for a new $16,000 residence for faculty use. Construction of the new classroom-chapel building will bring the Northwestern College new building outlay on its campus to well over one million dollars.
Watertown Daily Times, 03 02 1956
The cornerstone for the new chapel and classroom building now under construction at Northwestern College will be laid at a ceremony to be held at the college gym next Sunday afternoon, March 11, at . Construction of the building got underway last fall after the old building which stood on the site was razed. It will be erected at a cost of $360,486.46, exclusive of furnishings and is scheduled to be completed in August of this year.
Watertown Daily Times, 05 08 1956
the Wisconsin Synod of the Lutheran Church meets in Watertown Aug. 21 to 23 for
a recessed convention session a final decision on the long and controversial
issue of breaking ties with the Lutheran Church-Missouri Synod is due to be
taken, according to press dispatches from Milwaukee today. The sessions here
will be at Northwestern College Gymnasium and the program as now prepared will
include the dedication of new college buildings including the refectory,
dormitory, class building and chapel. The Wisconsin Synod has been marking time
since it passed its resolution at Saginaw
02 18 Prof. E. E. Kowalke resigned his office as president of the college effective next July 1. President since 1919 WDT
02 20 Prof. Carleton A. Toppe expected to accept the call to become president of the college WDT
08 25 1959-60 term began; Prof. Carleton Toppe, new president WDT
Rev. Paul Kuehl joins faculty; taught Greek in the college department and Latin in the prep department.
09 19 Molding football teams out of players who often have only the slightest idea of what the game is about has been the lot of Coach Len Umnus for a full 24 seasons at Northwestern College. The veteran mentor will be sending his 25th into combat Saturday in a nonconference opener at Elmhurst, Ill., and any intelligent bettor would wager that the Trojans will win. He’d have solid backing from history. Over the 24 years Umnus has been at the helm “up on the hill” the Trojans (formerly the Goslings) have won 115 games, tied 7 and lost only 36. Records hardly come any better than that. WDT
10 26 Northwestern College, an original member of the Badger-Gopher Conference which was formed in 1957 with eight teams from Wisconsin and Minnesota, is leaving that league to join a new 12 team circuit that includes colleges in Wisconsin and Illinois. Dropping out of conference competition will be Northland of Ashland, Wis., Bethel of St. Paul and Northwestern of Minneapolis. WDT
1962 Uncertain Future
01 25 A new pipe organ for the chapel was delivered by truck from Buffalo, New York. Technicians from the factory of the builders of the instrument will begin the installation immediately. The organ is a two-manual and pedal pipe organ of twenty-one ranks containing a total of 1,152 pipes. Its acquisition has been made possible through the gifts and bequests received from friends of the college over a period of years. WDT
03 05 Arnold O. Lehmann, a professor at Northwestern College, has been awarded an Aid Association for Lutherans Faculty Fellowship to do additional graduate work during the 1963-64 school year. He will also study during the 1963 summer session. Prof. Lehmann will study for his doctor of philosophy degree at Western Reserve University, Cleveland. WDT
03 09 Northwestern College at a special service held last night in the college chapel dedicated its newly installed organ. The rite of dedication was pronounced by Prof. Hilton C. Oswald, who also served as liturgist. The sermon was delivered by Prof. Carleton Toppe, president of the college, and Prof. Arnold O. Lehman was at the organ. The two-manual organ which was recently installed consists of 19 stops, and 20 ranks of pipe. It was designed as an instrument to accompany hymns and play worship service music. WDT
03 14 Coach Leonard J. Umnus was named an award winner recently by the Sports Trail Century Club, an organization maintained by the Kendall Company, to recognize the contributions of dedicated coaches throughout the nation. Coach Umnus was made a member of the Sports Trail Century Club for his record of 143 victories in football. WDT
1966 Kowalke Ending 53 Years of Teaching at N. W.C.
Closes Career as Instructor; Still President Emeritus.
08 24 Although he’ll remain a popular figure on the campus, Prof. E. E. Kowalke, for many years president of Northwestern College and now president emeritus, will not be teaching when the institution begins its new term next month. Prof. Kowalke, who taught Hebrew has given up teaching but will remain as president emeritus.
In 1963 Prof. Kowalke completed a half century of classroom teaching at the college. In his time he has taught five languages, English, German, Latin, Greek and Hebrew.
His more than half century of teaching began in 1913 with the reopening of the college year following the annual Christmas recess that year. It continued without interruption until the close of the 1965-66 college year last June.
Hebrew classes have claimed place on his teaching schedule ever since his arrival 53 years ago. Throughout most of these years he also taught a class in English literature.
As a practitioner of j the art of teaching, Prof. Kowalke clearly demonstrated his ability to impart subject matter effectively to his classes. At the same time he considered it his obligation to place all of his teaching into the context of Christian faith and life. Aside from communicating to his students the facts and skills his courses called for, he also sought to give them a Christian philosophy of life.
During forty of the past 53 years he also served as president of Northwestern College. He retired from his administration responsibilities in 1959.
After 53 years in the classroom Professor Kowalke still retains such vigor of mind and body that those who know him feel he will continue to be a campus figure for years to come, spending his golden years amid the familiar surroundings where the greatest share of his life has been spent and where he helped guide and influence the lives of thousands of young people who studied under him.
Prof Kowalke, a native of Kaukauna, Wis., attended and graduated from Northwestern College. He is a member of the class of 1908. After completing theological studies he was ordained to: the ministry and served as pastor at Tomahawk, Wis., and a number of other places.
In 1913: he accepted a call here to become associated with the college and taught there since January of that year.
In 1919 he succeeded the late Prof. A. F. Ernst as president of the institution and had held that office until his resignation when he was succeeded in the presidency by Prof. Carleton Toppe on July 1, 1959.
In its more than one hundred years, North Western College has had only four presidents. The first to hold the office was Adam Martin. He was succeeded by Prof. A. F. Ernst, with Prof. Kowalke the third to hold the position.
When Prof. Kowalke resigned as president he was named president emeritus, thus the present head of the college, Prof. Toppe is the fourth man to hold the office, certainly a record for an institution of learning that goes back more than a century.
During the many years he has been associated with the college, Prof. Kowalke has observed and supervised its growth. During his presidency a vast building and expansion program was carried out on the campus.
Among the new buildings constructed in recent years during his administration have been the library and office building, the refectory and dormitory and a new chapel.
The college gymnasium, which dates back to 1912, was con¬structed the year before he became a faculty member of the college.
Prof. Kowalke has earned the respect of the students who have passed their college years here while his associates, friends and acquaintances have shared a mutual esteem and regard for him as an individual, friend and educator.
Replacing Prof. Kowalke on the college faculty as instructor in Hebrew will be Paul E. Eickmann, son of Prof. and Mrs. Paul G. Eickmann. The elder Eickmann has long been a faculty member as instructor in science.
06 03 Rev. Prof. Walter Schumann Retires
The Rev. Prof. Walter Schumann, a longtime member of the Northwestern College faculty, has closed his career as a college instructor, with the end of the college year.
Prof. Schumann is 75. He was born in Watertown, attended Northwestern College, studied at the Lutheran Seminary, which was then located in Wauwatosa. In addition to his teaching, he has held several pastorates. One of the three Schumann children is pastor of Trinity Lutheran Church in Watertown. He is the Rev. Walter A. Schumann. There is another son, the Rev. Robert Schumann of Kenosha and the third child is the wife of a pastor, the Rev. Norman Barenz of Zion, Ill.
Prof. Schumann has devoted 37 years to the classroom and 14 years to pastorates. His devotion and service to both has been proverbial.
May he enjoy many more years of happiness, contentment and useful service in whatever he undertakes in his years of retirement.
Athletic Director Lloyd Thompson hired WDT
Franklin Frederick Zabell accepted the call to teach music and direct choir, 1972-1995.
03 30 Northwestern
Professor Edgar Pieper has announced his retirement after 21 years of coaching
and classroom work. Pieper was called to NWC in 1960 primarily to share the
coaching load with Professor Emeritus Leonard Umnus,
who at that time had sole responsibility for both the college and prep athletic
programs. Since then, Pieper's schedule has included coaching college baseball
for 21 years, college basketball for 10 years, college wrestling for 11 years,
prep football for 15 years and serving as assistant college football coach
since 1974. He has taught mathematics on both the college and prep levels as
well as geography at the prep school. Pieper was born near Juneau
02 09 Winter Carnival Activities A pops concert at 2:30 p.m. Sunday will highlight Northwestern College’s Winter Carnival activities. The concert will be held in the music auditorium. It will be open to the public and a freewill offering will be taken to defray expenses. Carnival activities included broom hockey games and tug-o-wars this week. A brunch is planned for 8:30 to 11:30 a.m. Saturday a dress up banquet and talent show are set for Saturday evening. Students will be allowed to bring guests to the events. The prep school and college each will build a snow sculpture. Usually there is a sculpture competition, but unfavorable conditions early in the week put a damper on that activity. WDT
08 25 120th year opening service; new faculty announced WDT
10 28 Professors honored; Gerhard Franzmann, Paul Kuehl and Richard Strobel WDT
12 04 Athletic Director Lloyd Thompson retires WDT
03 01 Basketball: 62-45 victory over University School of Milwaukee WDT
1986 Carleton Toppe Resigns
07 11 The sign attached to the door in the administration office proclaims, “Northwestern College President — Carleton Toppe.” Since 1959, the words between those quotation marks have been linked together. But at the conclusion of the 1986-87 school year, those words will be severed. An era will end when Toppe resigns in 1986. The American society has changed exponentially since 1959, and Northwestern College has also changed. But with Toppe at the helm, Northwestern’s changes have been implemented at a “controlled pace.” Toppe has been affiliated with Northwestern in one way or another since he enrolled in its prep school in 1926. After four years in the prep school, he attended the college, graduating in 1934. He attended the Wisconsin Lutheran Seminary in Mequon from 1934-37, before beginning a pastoral career in 1939. He eventually accepted a call to join the faculty at Northwestern in 1948. As a teacher, he mainly instructed courses in Latin, Greek, English and religion, before beginning his tenure as president of the college. WDT
10 29 Pastor Robert J. Voss will succeed Prof. Carleton Toppe as the president of Northwestern College. Voss, who currently serves as the executive secretary of the Board for Worker Training, will assume duties at Northwestern on July 1, 1987. Toppe has been president of the college since 1959. Voss graduated from Northwestern College in 1947. He graduated from the Wisconsin Lutheran Seminary in Mequon in 1950. After graduating from the seminary, Voss taught history and Latin at Northwestern for one year before entering the parish ministry at Faith, Fond du Lac. He accepted a call to Siloah, Milwaukee in 1955, and became president of Wisconsin Lutheran College in 1963. Wisconsin Lutheran College was merged with Dr. Martin Luther College in 1970, when Voss was called to become executive secretary of the Board for Worker Training. Voss completed his doctorate work at Marquette University WDT
1987 Rev. Luther Voss
10 09 Robert J. Voss can’t help but wink and smile when he speaks about his father. “My dad was what I guess you would call a ‘man’s man.’ But inside, he was so soft that it was funny,” Voss said of his elder, the late Rev. Luther Voss. Robert Voss and his father share a lot of the same qualities, including vocations. Voss will be installed as the new president of Northwestern College at a service Tuesday night. At the age of 61, he will become only the fourth Northwestern president in the past 116 years. WDT
1989 Rev. Mark Schroeder New President
10 29 When the Rev. Mark Schroeder takes over as president at Watertown Northwestern Preparatory School, he’ll be younger than any of the school’s faculty members. Schroeder has accepted the call to be president of the school, which is operated by the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod. The Schroeders are no strangers to Watertown. Mark’s parents, Erwin and Selma, still reside in the city, as do Andrea’s parents, Donald and Dorothy Kuester. The son of a former Northwestern College professor, Schroeder graduated from Northwestern Prep in 1972. He graduated from Northwestern College in 1977 and from the Wisconsin Lutheran Seminary in 1981. WDT
10 22 Plans for the merger of Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod schools are moving ahead at a rapid pace. The synod voted earlier this year to consolidate Northwestern College of Watertown and Dr. Martin Luther College in New Ulm, MN, into one college at the New Ulm campus and to consolidate Northwestern Prep School of Watertown and Dr. Martin Luther Prep School of Prairie du Chien into one high school at the Watertown campus. WDT
10 22 Accreditation continued for 10 years WDT
1995 Luther Preparatory School
08 19 Students flocked to their first day of classes at Luther Preparatory School this morning, marking a new era at the campus. Rev. Mark Schroeder is president of the school. Once the home of Northwestern College and Preparatory School, Luther Prep now serves high school-age students. The transition to the preparatory school was finalized during a ceremony in the school's gymnasium which included the school's opening service, dedication of the expanded facility, installation of the staff and ordination of several staff members. WDT
1997 Vacation of Streets Near School
05 31 The proposed vacation of streets near Luther Preparatory School was recommended by the Watertown Planning Commission. The vacation of College Circle, the public alley east of 417-433 College Avenue and a portion of Campus Street, was sent to the Watertown Common Council for final approval. The school is seeking vacation of the streets to provide an area for athletic facilities, including a soccer field and track. Planning commission members said the vacation, if approved, will not authorize the expansion of athletic facilities on the campus. An existing conditional use permit will need to be modified by the commission to allow additional uses on the property. WDT
03 06 Professor Ron Hahm, Latin instructor, also for Watertown High School WDT
2003 Luther Preparatory School
03 08 A local teacher will be trading in her school books for a uniform to proudly serve her country. Hedy Gnewuch, 26, a teacher at Luther Prep in Watertown, is also a member of the 1158th Transportation Company of the Army National Guard in Black River Falls which has been called to active duty. She has been ordered to report to Fort McCoy in Black River Falls on March 15. After spending a week receiving shots and new uniforms, her unit will be deployed but the destination of the deployment is classified information. “We won’t know until the plane lands. So as far as leaving my family and friends in the dark, they will be for awhile,” Gnewuch said, adding she could be gone a minimum of one year to a maximum of two years. WDT
2004 German American Partnership Program
10 29 Fifteen students and two teachers from Goeppingen, Germany, arrived in Watertown Oct. 14 and will be staying with families of Luther Preparatory School students until Nov. 4. The students are 11th-graders from Moerike Gymnasium, a college-bound high school. This is the first year Luther Preparatory School is participating in the German American Partnership Program, which pairs the German students with American students. The Germans are living with families in the city and attend class every day. WDT
08 09&17 Luther Prep football facility is upgraded [WHS_005_553] A new press box, concession and rest room facility is the centerpiece of an ongoing upgrade to the athletic facilities at Luther Preparatory School. On September 17 Luther Prep dedicated the football complex. WDT
03 26 Professor/Rev. Cyril Spaude, 1930-2008. He served as professor of Greek and Hebrew at Northwestern College from 1966 to 1995. Upon retirement from NWC served in WELS ministries including St. Mark's WDT
10 01 Homecoming game played on a Friday night and under the lights, for the first time WDT
Daniel M. Deutschlander: The Theology of the Cross: Reflections on His Cross and Ours
02 20 Luther Prep String Ensemble participated in St. Mark’s dedication of new school, music center WDT
08 24 2009-10 school year registration; total of 353 students in the 9th through 12th grade college preparatory high school WDT
10 31 Ron Hahm to be inducted into hall of fame; former Northwestern Prep and Luther Prep head football coach WDT
04 10 Meinhardt Raabe, famous munchkin, NWC grad, dead at 94 WDT
07 22 WELS Biennial Convention held on campus; 400 delegates attended WDT
10 12 Show to honor Luther Prep auditorium
Milwaukee-native Fricke, the cousin of Trinity-St. Luke’s Principal Jim Moeller and the late Watertown Rev. Jim Fricke, will lead the performance, which features show tunes from productions that graced the Luther Prep auditorium stage. The performance will happen on Sunday, Oct. 21, 100 years and one day after the Luther Prep auditorium was dedicated. WDTimes article
08 24 Professor Nathan Scharf is a professor at Luther Preparatory School. Scharf serves as recruitment director at Luther Prep. He is a West Allis native but attended Luther Prep as a high school student to study for the ministry before attending Martin Luther College and Wisconsin Lutheran Seminary. He and his wife, Hannah, live in Watertown with their three children. Scharf’s family has a deep heritage in the city of Watertown. He and his father, Ralph, worked at the Watertown pool before entering the ministry. His grandfather, Erwin, taught at Northwestern College and Prep until his retirement. His grandmother, Irene, worked at Bethesda Lutheran Homes for many years before her retirement. WDT
Click upon to enlarge
Schoenike home at 423 College Ave torn down during expansion (WHS00003)
Max Gaebler, one of the first three students to enter Northwestern College
Weltbuerger Printing Co. printed the Northwestern College monthly magazine, The Black and Red, as well as the college high school paper.