100 E Cady
Office, Bottling Department, Wash House, Shipping Room, Cold Storage,
Malt House, Elevators, Boiler House, Fermentation, Stables.
OCCUPANTS OF THIS SITE:
Manz-Hartig Brewery 1884 - 1896
Hartig Brewery 1896 - 1947
National Tea Grocery 1954 - 1977
Tom's United Foods 1977 - 2007
Breselow's Family Market 2007 -
1884 – 1896: MANZ-HARTIG BREWERY
The brewery was started in 1884 by cousins William Hartig and Carl Manz, both of Milwaukee. William Hartig had come from Slinger where he had been in the brewery business with Charles Storck.
Charles or Carl (Karl) Manz was the nephew of the late August Krug, founder of the Schlitz Brewery in Milwaukee. Charles was the son of Anna Krug, August's sister, and may have been a beneficiary to his late Uncle Krug's estate.
In 1896 Hartig bought out Manz and the brewery became known as the William Hartig Brewery and operated until Prohibition. William Hartig died in 1923 and is buried in Oak Hill Cemetery in Watertown.
His family re-opened the brewery in 1933 and ran it with modest success until the early 1940s when they sold it to out of town investors. The quality began to suffer and it shut down in 1946 and declared bankruptcy in 1947. The buildings were torn down in 1953 and a supermarket was built on the site in 1954.
William Hartig Family Genealogy & Brewery History [Compiled, Edited & Written by Mike Reilly]
HARTIG & MANZ EMPLOYEES WITH WORK TOOLS
Banners: “Hartig & Manz Maltsters, Watertown, Wis” and “Hartig & Manz Celebrated Watertown Lager Beer”
HARTIG & MANZ EMPLOYEES
01 22 ICE HARVEST COMMENCED
Yesterday S.M. Eaton & Son commenced cutting ice for the brewery of Hartig & Manz, which is the beginning of the ice harvest here for this season. The ice is about 7 1/2 inches thick and of a clear, good quality. Last year ice cutting began Jan. 28, one week later than this winter. An abundant ice crop is assured on the river here, notwithstanding the great scare among ice men only a little while ago. WR
02 12 HARVESTING DAY AND NIGHT
For some days past the work of storing ice has been rushed through with rapidity, men being at work on the river day and night. Monday the work of filling the ice house of S. M. Eaton & Son was completed, 3,500 tons being stored for summer's use by this enterprising firm. The breweries of A. Fuermann Co. and Hartig & Manz will be supplied with all the ice they want by the close of this week. The former stores about 8,000 tons and the latter about 3,500. S.M. Eaton & Son shipped several carloads of ice to Aurora this week. WR
11 19 HARTIG HOME
The residence of William Hartig, of the firm of Hartig & Manz, in the Fourth ward, is one of the handsomest and best finished dwellings erected here during the present season.
11 21 NEW MALT HOUSE
Article on the Hartig & Manz’s new malt house, one of the largest malt houses in America. WR
HARTIG & MANZ BREWERY EMPLOYEES
12 04 STORAGE VATS ADDED
Hartig & Manz are placing in their brewery a dozen storage vats, holding 150 barrels each. WR
HARTIG & MANZ SIGNAGE OUTSIDE S. MOLZAHN SALOON
01 18 950,000 BUSHELS OF MALT
Over 950,000 bushels of malt were made here last year, of which the Wm. Buchheit Malting Co. made about 700,000 bushels, and Hartig & Manz and the A. Feurmann Brewing Co. made about 250,000 bushels. This would indicate that Watertown is an excellent barley market. WG
06 05 CHARLES TIMM, EMPLOYEE
Another freak of nature is reported from the Sixth ward – it is a four-legged duckling, hatched last Thursday, the owner being Charles Timm, an employee of Hartig & Manz. The duckling is healthy and thriving. WR
c.1897 HARTIG BREWERY ICE HOUSE BECAME HABHEGGER COLD STORAGE
Ice house behind the Hartig Brewery. Later the Habhegger Cold Storage plant.
Is one of the most complete and the quality of Beer that is turned out cannot be excelled. The plant covers an area of 80 x 300 feet and is complete in every detail. The annual product is about 20,000 barrels of Beer and 200,000 bushels of Malt. Bottled Beer for Family Use.
11 30 WEIS BEER BREWERY
Albert Fuermann is making arrangements for establishing a Weis beer brewery here. The plant will be located in a portion of the old Fuermann brewery, now owned by William Hartig, and it is expected that operation will begin the middle of December. WR
12 21 FILLING THE ICE HOUSE
Ohm Bros, began their ice harvest last week, and has been engaged in filling the large ice house in the Sixth ward formerly owned by the A. Fuermann company and which they recently purchased from William Hartig. WR
01 18 ICE MACHINE INSTALLATION TO IMPACT ICE HARVESTING BUSINESS
William Hartig is having placed in his brewery an ice machine, or in other words, a new process for cooling beer. Lager beer, to be kept in prime condition, should have an even temperature, and this is almost impossible to secure under the old system. This comparatively new process gives the desired result regardless of the extremes of weather. The new outfit consists of a Corliss engine and ammonia compressor, and between 5,000 and 6,000 feet of piping. This piping is carried all through the cellars, overhanging the large beer cask, and is continually covered by a uniform coating of ice. The expense of the new outfit will exceed $5,000.
This change will be regretted by a large number of men who find the labor of cutting and storing ice very profitable work during an otherwise dull season, but brewers find the old system not only very cumbersome but not thoroughly reliable. This brewery produces an excellent quality of beer, and Mr. Hartig will not stop at any expense to maintain its already high standard. WR
05 23 FENCE AROUND WASHINGTON PARK
The members of the baseball association are very thankful for the donation of Wm. Hartig, the brewer. He was asked to subscribe to the fund, and forthwith agreed to erect the necessary fence around Washington park. WR
Sept HARVEST FESTIVAL, 1899, HARTIG FLOAT
William Hartig Brewing Co. float as entered in the Harvest Carnival, Sept. 1899. The man on the far left wearing a hat is thought to be William Hartig. This image was taken at the intersection of Jones and North First Streets. The Fuermann Brewery office can be seen on the far left.
09 22 HARTIG FLOAT CATCHES ON FIRE
Watertown s first attempt in the carnival line last week was a great success, a success as regards attendance, entertainment and a good time for the thousands of visitors. The weather was delightful throughout, and a larger or better-pleased crowd was never attracted to any interior city of the state, and the visitors were provided for in a manner that speaks well for our citizens. One pleasant feature of the carnival was that it was not necessary to make a single arrest for unruly conduct, and the immense crowds of people behaved themselves admirably well . . . The float of Wm. Hartig Brewing Co. in the latter part of the parade took fire as it reached Main Street from red fire sticks carried by attendants. The alarm of fire was sounded, the float was drawn to First Street when the department put the fire out. This was the only accident during the entire carnival.
Many persons have speculated as to whether all that was seen here during carnival week was the product of Watertown genius, some professing to believe it to be impossible. To all those we desire to assure them that no outside help was sought or accepted, and that what was seen in our parades or otherwise was not in the least taken with borrowed plumage. WG
11 28 RAILROAD SIDETRACK FOR HARTIG BREWERY
It is rumored that a side-track from the Northwestern railway to the William Hartig brewery is a probability of the not distant future. This facility is needed to assist in the transportation of the brewery’s product, which now has to be hauled by team to the railway stations, entailing a considerable item of expense. It is said that the right-of-way has been secured through certain property in the Fifth ward and that the side-track will be laid from a point north of the James Hall crossing east to the river and thence along the west shore of the river to Rock Street. From the foot Rock Street a trestle bridge is eventually to be built across the river to the brewery. WR
Cross Reference: See chapter on railroad spur
12 07 RAILROAD SIDETRACK
The opposition to the building of the sidetrack of the C. N. W. Ry. in the fifth ward asked for by Wm. Hartig, is gradually dying out, as it should. Mr. Hartig's business is one of the greatest in the city, and is of much benefit to our people, and everything so reasonable asked for by him should be granted. This side track would also be of great benefit to S. M. Eaton & Son, the Woodard-Stone Co., the Watertown Cold Storage Co., and other large shippers here. We hope to see the side track a reality in a short time. WG
06 21 TEAMSTER EDWARD RIMESTEAD INJURED
Fell from hook and ladder truck
During the noon hour last Monday a fire in an outhouse in the rear of Herman Dobbratz’s brought out the fire department. It was promptly extinguished. Edward Rimestead, while trying to board the hook and ladder truck at the corner of Main and First streets, fell and narrowly escaped death, being flung against the wheel of the truck with terrific force. He was taken to Dr. Werner’s office and medical attention given him at once. He was badly shaken up and bruised, and his injuries will lay him up for several days. He is employed as a teamster by Wm. Hartig.
Destroyed in 1914 tornado
Cross Reference: Image Portfolio on tornado
05 20 TOUR OF THE HARTIG BREWERY
ONE OF WATERTOWN’S BEST ENTERPRISES
The Watertown Brewery, Owned and Operated by Wm. Hartig,
One of the Old Standbys of the City
Employs Thirty Men.
It is said that the inhabitants of the United States are a beer drinking people. Be that as it may, the fact cannot be denied that the manufacture of beer is one of the great industries of the country and the source of a vast amount of revenue to the government. In the front ranks of this great industry is the state of Wisconsin with its countless lines of manufactories.
The citizens of Watertown who relish the amber fluid need not go out of their own city to secure a brand of the highest quality. Occupying a leading position among our prosperous industries is the old established brewery owned and operated by Wm. Hartig.
Undoubtedly a large number of our own citizens fail to realize the importance and magnitude of this industry in their midst and the important part it plays in the prosperity of the community. This establishment has been conducted under the management of Mr. Hartig for the past 19 years, with a constant increase in trade. The manufacture of the cooling beverage is now conducted in a brick building 90 by 300 feet, three stories in height. In addition, there is a neat brick office where the gentlemanly manager, Mr. Tanck, waits on the numerous customers.
A large malt house, where thousands of pounds are stored, occupies an extensive space. Much of the malt in this building is consumed at home and a vast amount also shipped out of the city. North of the office is a commodious wash house where the emptys are cleaned on their return to the plant. Two blocks north of the main building is another large structure used as the bottling house, where the different brands of bottled beer are put up in the cases.
On making so much of a survey, the reporter could not resist the temptation to inspect the interior of the brewery proper and learn somewhat of the process gone through with in the manufacture of this popular beverage. Consequently Mr. Hartig, Jr., was hunted up and the enjoyable tour of inspection commenced through the building, the courteous guide making brief explanations as each point of interest was reached. This particular journey was commenced in the engine room where the large boilers and 30 horse power engine furnish the energy which drives the machinery throughout the plant.
From the engine room the way led into the room where the ice machines, propelled by a 50 horse power engine, supply the artificial frost to the large storage rooms above.
A number of rooms were gone through, which will be described in their order in regard to the brewing process.
The barley is taken to a number of mammoth bins holding from 500 to 4000 bushels. This place is known as the elevator tower. In starting on its journey the barley first goes through the oat cleaning and barley separator. Later it is spread in six large vaults in the basement where the sprouting process takes place. Following this is an intricate series of processes and machinery to travel through. The grinding machine, masher, malt cleaner and polisher, pneumatic drums for malting purposes, the air from which is drawn up by large fans, the steeping vat, a large copper kettle of 80 barrels capacity, then to the hop barrel, whence it issues a pure malt and hop product.
This is followed by numerous processes of fermenting and cooling — all done in large vats in cold rooms—running through the filter which is supplied with coke from a large tower. Then comes the trip cellar, after which it is carried up to the top where the ice machines keep the air near the freezing point.
In the top story are also located the enormous storing vats. From the cooling it comes back to the racking room where it is either placed in kegs and barrels or put through the final process for bottling at the works two blocks north.
In the upper story are two tiers of drying rooms where the malt is dried and downstairs several vaults where the barley is dried after sprouting. This is by no means a description of the process of beer making but simply the swiftly passing picture as presented to a visitor making a rapid survey of the plant. The brewery is supplied with a dynamo which furnishes the electric lights. Thirty men are employed by this establishment throughout the year. The capacity is 16,000 barrels and the consumption of barley about 200,000 bushels.
It is an interesting visit to anyone interested in manufactories of any kind and the neophyte in the beer business has an opportunity to learn of the vast amount of work required in producing a drink which so many of the people enjoy. Watertown Republican, 05 20 1904
FLOOD OF 1905
04 20 OLD ICE HOUSE REMOVED
William Hartig, the enterprising and progressive brewer, has equipped his institution with a large new boiler, reshingled his barn and removed the old ice house north of the brewery and cleaned things up generally and is making everything about the establishment as neat as a new pin.
CORNER OF N. SECOND AND CADY. Jacob Hoeffner home
11 20 JOHN KEHR, OFFICE MANAGER
John Kehr, office manager for the Hartig Brewery, and the late Anton von Heiden made an election bet. Von Heiden lost and as a result had to give Mr. Kehr a ride in a wheelbarrow along Main Street. Hundreds turned out to cheer.
07 03 HAVE NEW RAMBLERS. Edward L. Schempf and William Hartig have recently purchased two of the latest model Ramblers. WG
HARTIG BOTTLING DESTROYED IN 1914 TORNADO
06 23 Chapter on 1914 tornado
12 10 FIRE AT CLYMAN / Hartig [assumed] Saloon and Hotel Building
Fire destroyed about $20,000 worth of property at Clyman. This city was called on for assistance to help fight the fire, which threatened to destroy all the business portion of Clyman. A number of our firemen and one of our fire engines and hose carts were sent to the scene of the fire on the C.&N.W. Ry. and Juneau also sent their fire apparatus. The engines were not unloaded at Clyman, owing to there being no water available. The hose, however, was attached to a standpipe reservoir there and put into service as long as the water lasted. The firemen, however, with the assistance of residents of Clyman, controlled the fire in a short time and confined it to the vicinity where it originated. The double store building owned by Mrs. G. Coler and occupied by H. Lekachman Mercantile Co. was totally destroyed, with contents, and the saloon and hotel building adjoining, owned by Wm. Hartwig [Hartig assumed] of this city, and occupied by Emil Kressine, was also badly damaged. The fire is said to have originated by the explosion of the gasoline lighting system in the Lekachman store while the proprietor was lighting it. He was badly burned about the face and neck. WG
HARTIG BREWERY OFFICE
DOG COMMITS SUICIDE (article headline)
“Muhnka,” an Airedale pup belonging to John L. Kehr (office manager for the Hartig Brewery), committed suicide early this morning by jumping from the roof of Hartig’s Brewery. Death was instantaneous. The pup has always been an avowed enemy of cats and it was because of this hatred that he met his death. Having chased a cat through the brewery, he reached the roof through a skylight. In the chase he came to the edge of the roof and jumped to a lower roof. Landing on his head, he was stunned and fell from there to the ground. When found he was dead. The dog was a familiar figure to citizens and will be greatly missed. Persons who knew the dog say he had been grieving over the Volstead Act and the world series. – Watertown Times. Reprinted in The Representative (Fox Lake, WI), 10 27 1921, pg 3
1923 WILLIAM HARTIG DIED, buried in Oak Hill cemetery.
1930 TASTING ROOM, Hartig Brewery
Donated to the city in 1930 by Mrs. Carry Mowder Hill in memory of the Mowder and Hill families and installed in Memorial Park. View is to the north and the building in the background was the tasting room of the Hartig brewery. Statue moved to Octagon Museum grounds in 1970.
1936 FLOAT IN CENTENNIAL PARADE
Hartig’s Beer and Ice Cream, parade portfolio
11 01 BEER IS ORDERED DESTROYED
MADISON — The U. S. district attorney's office announced today that 1,703 cases of beer were destroyed at the Hartig Co. in Watertown yesterday on order of the federal distinct court in Madison. The beer was condemned in court proceedings after Harold F. McEvoy, president of the Hartig Co., had declined to contest charges of food and drug law administrators that the beer was adulterated by a type of acid resulting from the use of molasses in brewing. The government's charges specified that the adulteration was not harmful. AP story
THREE IMAGE SET
BREWERY BUILDINGS WERE TORN DOWN
The Hartig brewery buildings were torn down in 1952-53 for a National Tea Store. Later the site for Tom’s Grocery (United Foods), still later Breselow's Family Market
05 14 DEATH OF ED KAERCHER
Edward F. Kaercher, 85. Was born Jan. 16, 1866, a son of Mr. and Mrs. John Kaercher and lived all of his life in Watertown. He had worked at the Hartig Co. plant for 40 years, retiring at the age of 77.
RELIC OF A HAPPIER ERA
which many older residents of Watertown will view as a sentimental relic of a
happier era was taken from Rock River here the other day by Bruce Kaesermann,
aged 11, son of Mr. and Mrs. Ronald Kaesermann,
keg still has on it a brass plate bearing the name of the Hartig Brewing Co.
whose plant was located in the block which now houses the National Food Store
The brewery was the largest single building in Watertown. It was but one of several breweries here, but it was the last to survive, having gone through the Prohibition era when it converted to making “near beer” and ice cream. When Prohibition ended it converted back to making beer. Along, with most smaller breweries in the state, it finally faded from the scene, leaving the field to the major breweries and monopolies which now turn out beer that does not even approach the fine brew which Hartig’s and other smaller breweries produced years and years ago.
Philip Hartig, obit, president of Hartig Co after father’s (William) death and up until business was sold to outside interests in 1947.
History of Watertown, Wisconsin