Otto Biefeld Company
200-206 N Water
Frederich Misegades built the brick shop at 200-206 North Water Street for wagon making.
1893 PARTNERSHIP BETWEEN OTTO AND RICHARD BIEFELD
07 14 CEMENT TESTING MACHINE
A cement testing machine has recently been added to the outfits in the civil engineer's office in the city hall. It is "loaded" with very fine bird-shot, a fact the city treasurer Began and Otto Biefeld have found to their sorrow. In investigating the mysterious-looking machine, they pressed the button, and the machine did the rest – thousands of shot being scattered all over the office floor. Both gentlemen have been diligently at work for the last week gathering up the fragments, and if they have good luck, expect to have the task completed in time to take part in the carnival next September. WG
05 18 FIRE ENGINE UNDER DIRECTION OF OTTO BIEFELD
A trial of old fire engine No. 1 was made yesterday afternoon, the scene being on the river bank back of the old brewery. The trial was under the direction of Otto Biefeld, former Watertown Fire Department Chief, and was for the purpose of instructing the new engineer of fire engines, August Schmidt with the duties of the position to which he was recently elected by the council, which was formerly held by Mr. Biefeld. Despite the fact that the engine has been in service in Watertown for a period of thirty years this summer, the former chief declares that it does just as good work as ever and that during the trial yesterday, it threw a stream across the river. It is said Mr. Schmidt takes hold of the work with much credit to himself. The first engineer was Ferdinand Bursinger and the first chief William Schuette.
08 14 WELLS SHOE CO. CONTRACT
07 02 BETHESDA CONTRACT
Bethesda Lutheran Home, contract for plumbing WG
07 09 SILVER WEDDING ANNIVERSARY
Silver wedding, celebrated, Otto Biefeld and wife WG
02 18 LINCOLN SCHOOL CONTRACT
New Lincoln School, heating and plumbing contract; Lincoln day design by Mrs. Otto Biefeld. WG
Contract for addition to the Lutheran Home for Feeble-Minded
1914 Otto Biefeld & Co. Will Build New Shop
05 07 On May 13th Otto Biefeld & Co. will break ground for a new $10,000 machine shop on North Water Street. It will be 60 x 104 feet, 36 feet high, with a basement under part of it and will front on O'Connell Street. It will be of concrete and brick construction, and will be fitted out with everything up-to-date, including shower baths for use by workmen, a complete medicine chest for use in case of accidents, and up-to-date toilet rooms. New machines will be installed and the shop will contain everything first-class for carrying on the extensive business of this popular and enterprising firm. WG
05 21 Biefeld Bids Let.
The mason work for the new Biefeld machine shop has been let to Guetzlaff and McLaughlin. August Strasburg secured the carpenter work and Lehman Bros. will do the excavating. WG
07 23 Foot Injured.
Otto Biefeld had one of his feet badly injured last Thursday evening while assisting at placing I-beams in the new Lutheran school building [must be the new St. Mark’s Lutheran School]. The injury will lay him up for some time. WG
10 15 Hip and Arm Injured / William Martch
William Martch, while doing carpenter work, fell last Saturday from the new Biefeld building on North Water Street and was severely injured in his hip and arm. Dr. Joseph O’Connell attended him and says he will be all right in a short time. WG
10 04 MAX BIEFELD BECOMES SECRETARY-TREASURER
Max E. Biefeld, Watertown, Wis., has resigned as assistant manager of the American Malting Co. to become secretary-treasurer of the Otto Biefeld Co., Watertown, boiler and structural works, succeeding the late Richard Biefeld. The Iron Age, 10 04, 1917.
1926 DEATH OF OTTO BIEFELD, Sr. 1861-1926
03 25 Another of Watertown's esteemed and popular businessmen has gone to his final reward in the person of Otto Biefeld, Sr., who passed away last Sunday night at his home, 206 O'Connell Street. Six weeks previous to his death he went to Hot Springs, Arkansas, in hopes of getting cured of his ailments, and had returned only a few days previous to his death in a worse condition than when he left for Hot Springs.
July 26, 1861, Mr. Biefeld was born in Saxony, Germany, where he learned the heating, plumbing and locksmith trade and in 1888, he came to Watertown, locating here on June 13. He secured employment with the Kunert Bros. Machine Co., and was employed by that firm till 1893, when he and his brother Richard formed a partnership in the building now occupied by the Jansky Printing Co., and conducted a machine, heating, locksmith and general repair work business, and then business developed so fast that they finally located and extended their business from time to time in the building now occupied by the firm in North Water Street.
Mr. Biefeld was one of Watertown’s most public-spirited citizens, his purse and time always aiding generously every public enterprise. His death is a great loss to our city. He was a member of the Reformed church, of the Plattdeutscher Verein, of the Watertown Business Men's Association, the Watertown Council of United Commercial Travelers, of the National Heating and Piping Contractors of New York City, and the Master Plumbers Association.
His wife survives him. After being a year in this country, he sent for her to [in] Saxony, her maiden name being Lydia Schreiber, and they were married in this city July 5, 1884.
Twelve children were born to them one son George, dying in infancy. The surviving children are Martha, June, Kermit, Carl and Lena at home, Otto Biefeld, Jr., Ernest Biefeld, Mrs. L. R. Stoll, Mrs. Clarence Kunitz of this city, Mrs. W. D. Marpell and Mrs. Harry Holmes, Milwaukee. There are also twenty grandchildren and five sisters, Mrs. John Kneubuehler of this city, Mrs. C. E. Heyn, of Geneva, Ill., Mrs. Alvin Hunger of Milwaukee, Mrs. Ida Maschke and Mrs. Minnie Borchardt of Saxony, Germany.
His only brother Richard died several years ago. His funeral was held today with services at the home at 1:30 o'clock followed by services at the Reformed church at 1:30 o'clock, the Rev. F. W. Lemke officiating. The interment was in Oak Hill cemetery.
10 16 HELP BUILD MAIN ST. BRIDGE
The bridge was constructed by Cunningham Bros, of Beloit. The Otto Biefeld Co. provided the steel, George H. Lehmann did the concrete work and Ed. L. Bartlett furnished the cement, while the Hutson-Braun Lumber Co., the West Side Lumber Co., and the Gateway Lumber Co., provided other materials. Arthur Ruesch was in charge of the electrical wiring.
1933 NOTE REGARDING JOHN DORNFELD
John Dornfeld became associated with the Otto Biefeld Company. Since that association, which began in October, 1933, he built a number of plants, one for the Fleischman Malting Company at Chicago, one for the Hamm Brewing company at St. Paul, Minn., and another for the National Malting Company at Paterson, N. J., and many other smaller installations. Since his association with the Biefeld Company, he spent part of his time in Watertown. He spent two months here last summer. His work in the malting field will now be carried on by the Otto Biefeld Company here.
11 06 LAYOUT OF S. FIRST ST. FACILITY
Note regarding Shop No. 5: The railroad track went into shop No. 5 at one time when there was only a canopy over that area. A train car was on the spur and the breaks let loose and the car rolled into the shop. Later the shop area was enclosed.
BIEFELD HI-SPRAY CHEMICAL SPRAYER
-- -- 812 S. SECOND ST. FACILITY
In 1938 Otto Biefeld Corp took over the plant of what was formerly the Dornfeld-Kunert Co. and later known as the Monarch Tractor plant. In 1960 the Otto Biefeld Corp completed a 10,000-square-foot addition at its plant between S. Second and S. First streets.
1954 CENTENNIAL CELEBRATION, CITY OF WATERTOWN
BROTHERS OF THE BUSH
Biefeld sponsored group, 1954 Centennial Celebration
PARADE: Unit in centennial parade
10 13 KUENZI NAMED TO WISCONSIN MANUFACTURERS ASSN
Arthur Kuenzi, president of the Otto Biefeld Co., has been named to the legislative committee of the Wisconsin Manufacturers Association. His appointment is for the 1958-59 term. The appointment was made by C.F. Van Pelt of the Fred Rueping Leather Co., Fond du Lac, president of the association. WDT
07 01 SALE OF OTTO BIEFELD COMPANY
Arthur Kuenzi, president of the Otto Biefeld Company and Roy O. Henszey, president of the Henszey Company, announced the sale of the respective companies. Pieter W. Schipper, president of the newly formed Henszey Company, Inc. and Otto Biefeld Corporation, confirmed the acquisitions. He stated that he had great confidence in the future of both enterprises and that he anticipated their continued growth in present and allied fields based on their past history, resulting in increased opportunities for the employees. Both concerns will continue their operations in Watertown and no major changes are contemplated at this time. WDT
03 03 Ralph Ebert opens consulting engineering service; was engineer for Otto Biefeld Co.
10 12 KUENZI RETIREMENT
Arthur Kuenzi, for many years president of the Otto Biefeld Co, makes official announcement of his retirement. He severed his connections with the firm on May 1. The middle of last year the firm was sold, and is now known as the Otto Biefeld Corporation. WDT
12 21 ADDITION TO PLANT BETWEEN S. SECOND AND S. FIRST STREETS
The Otto Biefeld Corporation has completed and is now occupying a 10,000 square foot addition at its plant between South Second and South First streets. The new unit is most helpful in the expanding operations of the business. Employment, including production and office and executive help, now numbers 167 - approximately double the figure of a year and a half ago. A partial second shift has been added. Sale of the Otto Biefeld Company to the Otto Biefeld Corporation was announced on July 1, 1959. At the same time sale of the Henszey Company to Henszey Company, Inc., was announced. Pieter W. Schipper is president of both firms. WDT
12 28 KUENZI OPPOSES POLICE-FIRE STATION AT EIGHTH AND MADISON
Three members who served on a committee named by Attorney Charles E. Kading, while he was serving as acting city manager here, to study city hall expansion needs today issued a statement opposing the proposed construction of a new police and fire station at the corner of North Eighth and Madison streets and suggested that maybe “it is time to hold another referendum” on the matter. The three are Arthur Kuenzi, a registered professional engineer who was president of the old Otto Biefeld Co., now the Otto Biefeld Corp.; Albert W. Maas, general contractor and head of the Maas Bros. Construction Company and a former city councilman; and O. E. Carlson, for many years a building materials supplier here. WDT
03 18 NO PLANS TO LEAVE WATERTOWN
“The recession is a thing of the past.” That was the statement of Pieter Schipper, president of the Otto Biefeld Corp. and the Henszey Company, Inc. of Watertown, last night at the regular weekly meeting of the Watertown Kiwanis Club. Mr. Schipper said that the so-called recession had been very much over-rated and was a normal par of the leveling out process which is inevitable in our economy. He stated that the two companies which he heads have no plans to leave Watertown, but rather, plan to stay here and expand facilities and take on additional employees as quickly and as fast as expansion permits, according to present plans. WDT
02 23 PRESSURE VESSELS MANUFACTURE DISCONTINUED
The Atwater-General Corporation, formerly the Otto Biefeld Corporation, is discontinuing the manufacture of pressure vessels, it was announced today by Pieter W. Schipper, president. When the manufacture of pressure vessels now in production is completed, this phase of the Atwater-General operation will end. Work is expected to be completed about April. Pressure vessels are the principal product manufactured by Atwater-General, and accounts for most of the firm’s production. After April the firm will be making only humidifiers, Schipper said today. Approximately 25 persons are employed by the concern. Atwater-General Corporation came into being on January 1, 1964. WDT
09 04 BUILDING RESTORATION
The restoration of one of the city’s early examples of 19th century industrial development continued this morning as paint was applied to the Italianate style exterior. The historic landmark at 200 N. Water St. was built in 1850 and has housed a variety of businesses including the Fredrick Misegades Wagon Works, the Otto Biefeld & Co. Machine Shop, the Kottwitz Electric Motors Co. and most recently the Kriewaldt Electric Motor Co. Present owner Chad Haase is in the process of completely renovating the building and restoring the exterior to original appearance. New windows and electrical, plumbing, heating systems are being installed to the structure which will eventually house three commercial businesses on the lower level and three apartments on the second. WDT
Biefeld Brothers, Otto and Richard, Started Steel Fabricating Company, WDTimes, 06 26 1954
The Otto Biefeld Co. passed its 60th anniversary in 1953. The company has a notable record in the field of manufacturing and service in this community. It was in 1893 that the late Otto Biefeld, Sr., founded the business that still bears his name.
In June, 1883 two brothers, Otto and Richard Biefeld, left their homeland and came to America to seek their fortune. On Oct. 24, 1893, they opened a machine and repair shop on the corner of South Second and Market Streets. Their first customers were D. & F. Kusel. From its humble beginning the firm of Otto Biefeld & Company grew to what it is today. But it was not luck alone which brought about this good fortune, rather untiring efforts and hard work. As business increased, the firm bought the old Misegades property on North Water Street in May, 1899. New machinery was purchased and a plumbing and heating department was added. This formed the nucleus of the present plant of the Otto Biefeld Co.
Soon the fame of the firm spread and it again became necessary to enlarge the plant. In 1914 Arthur Kuenzi, formerly chief engineer of the Dornfeld-Kunert Company, joined the organization and a large construction shop was erected in North Water Street across from the old quarters. After that was completed other key men from Dornfeld-Kunert Company, such as A. F. Schumacher, accountant, William Kleineschay, engineer and Herman Gerth, manager of production, joined the firm, and the services rendered started to spread from local and neighborhood business to state and neighboring states. These added facilities soon increased employment from 8 in 1914 to about 50 in 1918. In 1918 a boiler shop was added to the plant and in 1929 another addition was made.
Death in 1917
Following the death of Richard Biefeld in 1917, the plant was incorporated with Otto Biefeld as president; Otto Biefeld, Jr., vice-president; and Max Biefeld, secretary treasurer.
Otto Biefeld’s life came to a close in 1923, but his ideals live on. He left behind a thriving business as a monument to his industry and achievement. His had been a notable achievement and at the time of his death, he was held in high regard for his civic interests, leadership and business ability. His ideals have been carried on through his sons and old and faithful employees.
Mr. Biefeld was survived by his widow, who in spite of advancing years maintained an active interest in the firm and its employees. She was familiarly referred to by young and old as “Grandma Biefeld.”
The plant management again changed following Mr. Biefeld’s death. On Aug. 17, 1926, Ernest Biefeld became president; Otto Biefeld, Jr., vice-president; Kermit Biefeld, secretary; and A. F. Schumacher, treasurer.
Due to transfers in ownership of stock, the management changed on March, 1930. Officers elected were: Arthur Kuenzi, president; R. O. Henszey, vice-president; and A. F. Schumacher, secretary-treasurer. These officers remain the same today.
In step with the ever changing and progressing times, the Otto Biefeld Co. also widened its scope in products and markets. In 1938 it took over the plant of what was formerly Dornfeld-Kunert Company and later known as the Monarch Tractor Plant. New departments were added to fill the needs of its growing list of customers. The firm became the manufacturers of a diversified line of products fabricated from steel and iron, such as boilers, stacks, tanks etc., structural steel for buildings and bridges, flag poles, coal conveyors, special machinery and the “Wisconsin Special” snow plow, which is now used in many parts of the United States. Through its dairy equipment division which is fabricated from stainless steels, it has become well known in all parts of the country. Homogenizers, viscolizers, large stainless steel tanks and milk evaporators have been shipped to all parts of the world, including such places as Africa, South America, Mexico, Canada and Hawaii. Besides these production departments, the firm also maintains a used equipment department.
Aided National Defense
On Dec. 7, 1941, great changes took place in the nation and the Otto Biefeld Co. No more steel construction jobs were allowed without high priorities, no steel was available for the manufacture of certain commodities, new plumbing and heating installations were frozen. But the Otto Biefeld Co. did not admit defeat and close its doors. In peace they had helped to make America the prosperous and leading country it was; now in war they were determined to do their part to keep the American way of life. Nor did they shirk their duties. The plant was almost 100 per cent on defense work. They carried out sub-contract work for the fabrication of the actual parts of ships for Walter Butler Shipbuilders, Inc., Kewaunee Shipbuilding Co. and the Leathern D. Smith Shipbuilding Company to whom these parts and sections were shipped and brought into the large unit. During this period they were also awarded the largest single contract in the history of the business amounting to $369,810.99 which covered fabricated equipment for the 42 hemp mills that the government built. Navy distilling units in connection with a contract acquired by the Henszey Company of this city, was another large project. Employment rose to over 200 and in between contracts and in any spare moments, the plant was indirectly on defense work maintaining equipment for dairy industries, farms and canning companies who were engaged in government work.
Not only did the Biefeld Co. turn over its available buildings equipment and crews to the war effort, but its honor roll boasted 24 names of employees, both office and shop, who were given to all branches of the Armed Forces.
As the war came to a close it meant that concerted effort must be made to get back into fabrication of its regular products, which was quickly accomplished by its officers, heads of departments and loyal employees, and production was increased over former years with constant employment to a total of 150 to 160 employees.
History of Watertown, Wisconsin