William Buchheit, Sr
1827 – 1911
William Buchheit Malting Co
American Malting Co.
Fleishmann Malting Co.
Old Elm Mills
William Buchheit, grain dealer; born in Bavaria, August 15, 1827; came to America in 1851; landed at New York City April 8, 1851; came to Milwaukee in May of the same year; came to Watertown and located in August 1852. “The History of Jefferson County, Wisconsin”, Chicago: Western Historical Company. 1879.
Engaged in the liquor business for a number of years; carried on a rectifying establishment and did a large wholesale business after doing a retail business for some years.
William Buchheit, tenant in Werner bldg on Main St Bridge, “bier halle.”
Plank Road Brewery
He also built and carried on a brewery for awhile. Corner of Dayton and W Main St. In 1852 William Buchheit and Charles Reidinger opened a small brewery on this site, called the Plank Road Brewery, near the Mud Tavern. In 1865 it was acquired by Friedrich Schwartz of Milwaukee who brewed “weiss beer” or wheat been in this plant and in 1867 it closed. Afterwards the buildings were used as a glue factory, before burning to the ground in 1871.
On July 30, 1857, he was married in Watertown to Helena Weis, a native of Prussia; they have ten children living - Anna, Helena, Mena, Amelia, Josephina (Mrs. William Sproesser), William Jr., Alexander, Henry, Gustav and Albert.
1860 In 1860, he commenced business as a commission and produce merchant.
1865 In 1865, he commenced buying grain and is now one of the largest and most prosperous grain dealers in the West.
1871 CASHBOOK, William Buchheit
1888 William Buchheit Malting Co. began in 1888. Later known as the American Malting Co., the Fleishmann Malting Co. and eventually simply as Old Elm Mills.
01 18 950,000 BUSHELS OF MALT
Over 950,000 bushels of malt were made here last year, of which the Wm. Buchheit Malting Co.made about 700,000 bushels , and Hartig & Manz and the A. Feurmann Brewing Co. made about 250, 000 bushels. This would indicate that Watertown is an excellent barley market. WG
10 02 TO BUILD A PRIVATE SEWER
The William Buchheit Malting company has been granted permission by the common council to build a private sewer on Ninth street, leading from his malt-house to the Clyman Street sewer, for the purpose of disposing of the steeped water which accumulates from malting. This water now flows over ground through the Seventh ward, and as it becomes stagnant is of course offensive and is injurious to health. Seventh ward residents complained of this state of things and the board of health ordered a remedy. The private sewer is a result. It will be laid under the direction of the city engineer and is to be of 8-inch pipe. WR
-- DISTANT VIEW
09 21 TWO TRAMPS NAMED BRADLEY AND WOODFORD . . .
. . . were sentenced by Justice Henze Monday to the county jail for ten days on a charge of vagrancy. They were arrested Saturday night in a car loaded with grain near the Bucheit malthouse. They had broken the seal of the car and also admitted having removed three switch lights, both of which offences were serious. The railroad officials may take action against the tramps for their misdemeanor. WR
04 26 A small blaze in the rear of the residence of Wm. Buchheit called out the fire department Friday evening, a section of the fence having taken fire from burning refuse. The fire was easily extinguished, and no damage of any account resulted. WR
05 30 Three persons have agreed to back the baseball team this year. They are Gustav Buchheit, Albert Fredrich and Reinhold Schott. A lease has been granted for Washington park and everything will be done in the proper way. The season will open about June 2 and it is hoped that only success awaits the undertaking. WR
WILLIAM BUCHHEIT HOME, 605 S. Fourth Street
1919, William Buchheit home purchased; site for Trinity Lutheran Church
1910 Wireless Message to the Times
08 26 The first wireless message ever received by a daily newspaper in Watertown was received by the Daily Times on Saturday afternoon, but too late for publication. It was sent by Alex Buchheit, who with his father, William Buchheit, are returning home from a visit to Germany. The sending of the message was prearranged and was given to the wireless operator when on board ship 1000 miles from New York. It was transmitted to the Postal Telegraph Company and sent by phone to the Times from the postal station in Madison. The message reads as follows:
"Steamer Grosse Kurfuest, 1000 miles from New York. Arrive Tuesday. Are in rough sea and passing Icebergs." Buchheit.
They are expected home on Thursday – [Watertown Daily Times] WG
1911 DEATH OF WILLIAM BUCHHEIT / One of Watertown's Oldest, Best-Known and Most Progressive Business Men
05 25 His Death is Sincerely Mourned by the Citizens of Watertown
Sunday morning, May 21, 1911, Wm. Buchheit died at the family home, 605 Fourth Street [present location of Trinity Lutheran Church], this city, at the close of an illness of about two weeks, which confined him to his home. His final ending was peaceful and he passed from earth surrounded by the members of his family, whom he had always so well and generously provided for.
Mr. Buchheit had enjoyed unusually good health for a man of his advanced age and for many years past took yearly trips to his old home in Europe, which seemed to put new life and vigor into him. Two months ago he began to fail, suffering no particular ailment aside from general debility.
Mr. Buchheit was born in Zweibruecken, Bavaria, August 15, 1827, and came to America in 1851, landing in New York City April 8 of that year; the following May he came west as far as Milwaukee, and for a time was traveling solicitor for The Wisconsin Banner, a German newspaper and from there came to Watertown in August, 1852, and engaged in the liquor business and later did a large business in rectifying and wholesaling liquor; he built one of the first breweries in the state, but it was destroyed by fire before it was put in operation.
In 1860 he started a commission and produce business, which developed into one of the largest in the northwest, it being necessary to have warehouses in various places to accommodate his trade. He added grain buying to his business in 1865 and interested the farmers in this section of the state to engage in the growing of barley.
In 1866 he started the Buchheit block in Third Street and as his business increased he added to it in 1874 and again in 1878, making it one of the largest business blocks in the city.
He incorporated the Wm. Buchheit Malting Co. in 1888, and conducted a large malting business in Watertown for many years, finally selling out to the American Malting Co., and then identifying himself with other interests here.
In 1883 he was elected president of the Bank of Watertown, a position he held up to the time of his death. From the time he first engaged in the commission business till the time of his death every interest he identified himself with flourished and grew in importance. He was a farseeing, conservative, yet very progressive business man, and contributed generously of his means to every public enterprise, and encouraged by both word and deed everything that tended to advance the interests of Watertown.
In a business way his judgment was always the best, and many a citizen profited by his good advice and sound judgment. He also possessed a genial, sunshiny disposition and never failed to greet his friends and neighbors with a pleasant smile and a kind word, usually having some little joke to relate when he stopped a moment for a pleasant chat. In his death our city loses a business man who has done a great deal not only for Watertown but for the surrounding country, and his family a husband and father who always provided well for their wants and comforts.
Mr. Buchheit was married July 30, 1857, to Helena Weis of this city, who survives him with ten children, who are as follows: Mrs. Carl E. Emmerling, Watertown; Mrs. Fred Vullmahn, Chicago; Mrs. M. F. Blumenfeld, Watertown; Mrs. John Mithen, Omaha; Mrs. William Sproesser, Watertown; William Mithen, New York City; Henry Buchheit, Buffalo, N. Y.; Alex Buchheit, Attorney Gustav Buchheit, Watertown; Dr. Albert Buchheit, Park Ridge, Ill. Fourteen grandchildren also survive him.
This afternoon his funeral took place from his late home to Oak Hill Cemetery. In respect to Mr. Buchheit's memory the Bank of Watertown was closed all day on Thursday and the Merchants National and Wisconsin National Banks closed at 1 o'clock. WG
10 04 MAX BIEFELD, ASST. MGR., RESIGNATION
Max E. Biefeld, Watertown, Wis., has resigned as assistant manager of the American Malting Co. to become secretary-treasurer of the Otto Biefeld Co., Watertown, boiler and structural works, succeeding the late Richard Biefeld. The Iron Age, 10 04, 1917.
09 15 FIRE DESTROYED ELEVATOR PORTION
A September 15th fire destroyed the elevator portion of the American Grain and Malting Company complex east of the C. M. & St. Paul Railroad depot. The fire started in the roof of the elevator, presumably from sparks of a passing locomotive. High winds prevailed and the department had difficulty in combating the flames. Despite the efforts of Chief John Glaser and the men under his command, the elevator was a total loss. At the time it was said to have been the worst fire since the Masonic Temple fire four years earlier.
When the fire hose was attached to the hydrant it was discovered that the city pressure was “very feeble” and both the auto truck engine and the 1876 Ahrens steamer were brought into service.
The Liggett-Meyers Co. had a large amount of stemming tobacco stored in the building at the time, all of which was lost.
The Daily Times reported that “resident owners were quick to invoke the law of self-defense and put their garden hose in operation. The roofs were manned and the wooden surfaces of the buildings kept drenched until the danger period was passed.”
The elevator had been erected more than 60 years earlier and was considered one of the largest in the state. The first owners were Jonas and Silas Sleeper, who conducted it for many years, being among the pioneer grain buyers in the area. Subsequent owners were William Buchheit, the American Malting Company and the Fleischmann Malting Company.
1946 THE MILL BURNED IN 1946 AND AGAIN IN 1959.
1957 City Dir ad
04 29 OLD ELM MILL FIRE
The old Elm Mills plant fire resulted in a loss of $250,000.
The sub-headline in the Watertown Daily Times said it all: “Holocaust Destroys Huge Plant in City”
^ Click to link to portfolio of images
The heaviest concentration of the fire fighting equipment used in the city since the 1946 Fleischmann Malting Company fire was thrown into operation the morning of April 29, 1957, to battle a quarter-million dollar blaze which again destroyed the plant, this time operated under the name of Old Elm Mills.
The plant, which sprawled over an entire block between South Eighth and South Ninth Streets, and Station Street and the Milwaukee Road Railroad tracks, was doomed within an hour after the fire was discovered. The Old Elm Mills office across the street was untouched.
The Watertown Fire Department sent all of its equipment to the scene within moments after the alarm came in and was joined later by departments from out of town, including Oconomowoc, Juneau, Ixonia, Jefferson, Johnson Creek and Lebanon.
The fire produced intense heat. Cars jammed the area for blocks and thousands of per-sons visited the scene and watched the fire, there being a steady coming and going during the day. Many school children who "skipped" classes were in the crowds that surged about the place. Police kept the crowds at safe distances.
Firemen fought the blaze at many points, concentrating their efforts to prevent damage or destruction to nearby homes and buildings. At least two homes were wetted down by owners to prevent fires destroying or damaging them. One of the businesses whose property was in danger for a time from the raging fire is that of the Sinclair Refining, which has a bulk plant at 1108 South Eighth Street. Firemen maintained a steady watch on the progress of the fire and prevented it from spreading to the oil installations.
One of the city's large industrial plants, the Mid-States Shoe Company, had some of its men on its roof with water and wet bags to prevent fire from starting on their property.
Captain Paul Buchholz suffered a foot injury when he was struck by a piece of metal when a cupola broke from its moorings and tumbled to the ground.
Only the lower floor of the huge brick building was used for storage. The big metal build-ing part of the plant was used for storage of grain and the grain bins, built of wood, and was quickly consumed by the flames.
Old Elm Mills came to Watertown in 1949 from Elm Grove. The Old Elm Mills plant, formerly the Fleischmann Malting property, was the scene of a previous disastrous fire. That was on March 1, 1946, when one half of the structure was destroyed. Before the Fleischmann Malting acquired and operated the property it was known as the William Buchheit Malting Company.
The "Old Malt House," had long been regarded as a potential fire hazard by neighbors and other citizens regarded the structure as a source of danger if a fire got started in it. It had been erected and added to over many years and was built at a time when there were few houses nearby.
CROSS REFERENCE: The mill was the site of a previous fire, that of the Fleischmann Malt House, in 1946. Mill burned in 1946 and again in 1959. Only part of the structure remains today and it is now the location of Y’s Way Carpeting.
11 27 CONSTRUCTION OF NEW OLD ELM MILLS PLANT
Construction of the new plant of the Old Elm Mills is well along. With the construction method employed, about seven full days of work is required to erect the building, which will be 105 feet high by 36 feet by 52 feet. The plant will be of poured concrete, slip form construction. It will replace the building destroyed by fire on April 29 of last year. Construction work is in charge of the Mid-States Construction of Omaha, Neb. The ready-mix concrete is being provided by the Tri-County Redi-Mix of this city. Cost of the plant and rebuilt warehouses will be approximately $140,000. WDT
06 11 CONSTRUCTION COMPLETED OF NEW OLD ELM MILLS
Officials of Old Elm Mills today announced completion of their new and modern feed plant and said it is now in full operation. The old plant was destroyed by fire two years ago in what was one of the major fires in the history of Watertown. The new plant is more compact and its operation is modern in every respect. It operates with push-button controls. The new all concrete plant is one of the most modern and well equipped feed plants in the country and is designed for efficiency of operation and accuracy in the production of modern feed rations. WDT
Y’s WAY CARPETING OCCUPIES FORMER OLD ELM MILL
Y’s Way Flooring founded in 1985. Everything from flooring to carpet cleaning to installation and supplies. 809 Station St.
Y’s WAY MOVE TO 500 MILFORD ST. WDTimes article
Ignatz Mallachowitz, employee, barley buyer
Ellis Mendenhall [1840-1920] “The 1st well I drilled in Watertown was for Mr. Buchheit — 406 feet with my light drill”
History of Watertown, Wisconsin