ebook  History of Watertown, Wisconsin


Sacred Heart College

University of Our Lady of Sacred Cross



Sacred Heart Military Academy


Maranatha Baptist Bible College



The 1889 Building



It was in the fall of 1871 that the authorities of the Congregation of Holy Cross at Notre Dame purchased the 65-acre site from Col. Henry Bertram who had purchased it from Patrick Rogen.  In addition to the land, the property consisted of a large two-story residence of white brick and other smaller buildings. That was the original school, and it later became a guest house.



One year later, on Sept. 9, 1872, the facility opened as the University of Our Lady of the Sacred Cross.  The first enrollment consisted of 27 students.  The first president of the school was the Rev. William Corby, C.S.C., one of the original founders.  The institution grew rapidly, and before the end of the first semester there were 66 students, five of whom were living on campus. To accommodate the increasing numbers the Provincial Council a year later approved construction of the central section of the main building.  Father Corby was a pretty busy man that year. At the same time he was leading this construction project, he was also pastor of St. Bernard's Catholic Church, and the huge structure now at the corner of Church and Main streets was being constructed.




The Rev. Father Corby has begun the construction of a new building on the college grounds.  It is situated on the beautiful ridge, in the Third ward, overlooking the city, and is intended to front eastward.  The dimensions are one hundred by fifty feet, and TWO stories.  This, with the old building facing on West Main Street, are designed to be but portions of an immense structure, to be hereafter erected, should the prosperity of the institution permit.  Yet the present building will be fitted up to serve all the purposes of a college for the time being.  The style of architecture will be very plain but neat, and the probable cost of the building, when completed, is calculated to be about seven-thousand dollars.


On Wednesday, June 16th, 1873, the corner stone was laid with the usual solemnity of the Catholic ceremonial.  At ten o'clock in the forenoon, the Rev. Father Corby assisted by several clergymen in sacerdotal robes, blessed the stone, and placed it at the northeast corner of the foundation.  One of the priests then addressed the assembly with some remarks suggested by the occasion, after which took place a ceremony called "striking the stone," — an observance which seemed to meet the full approbation of the steward.  Owing to some misunderstanding, the crowd was not near so considerable as was anticipated, but those who were on the grounds sustained their credit by very becoming donations.   WG




On May 25, 1874, the university was chartered by the state of Wisconsin, making the college a fully recognized institution with the privilege of conferring degrees in science arts and commerce.







Instruments of Richwood band sold to Sacred Heart College boys in about 1877 or 1878.   WG



St. Joseph’s, Ft. Atkinson, established as mission of Sacred Heart College.




One of the most notable improvements the city has ever witnessed will be the new or main college building to be erected in the coming season by the Sacred Heart College.  The building will be 72 by 120 feet, with three stories in the clear above the water table.  The work of excavation has already begun, and it is intended to put on [have on site] a large force with the opening [coming] of spring, and have it ready for occupancy for the fall term.  The architectural designs are said to be very fine, and our citizens may be prepared to see one of the most elegant college edifices in the state.




The College of Our Lady of the Sacred Heart of this city, an offspring of the celebrated Notre Dame University of Indiana, was dedicated with due ceremony on Sept. 4, and thus another institution of learning added to the numerous ones already established in Wisconsin.  The event called together a large number of visitors, embracing not only those of the religious faith of which the Sacred Heart College is a fitting exponent, but many of other denominations and beliefs, illustrating the true catholic spirit and liberal tendency of the present day.


At noon a bounteous collation was served in one of the large dining halls to the clergy from abroad and invited guests, and all done ample justice to the repast.


At 2:30 o’clock the dedication services were begun with Very Rev. Wm. Corby, C. S. C., provincial of Notre Dame, as celebrant, assisted by Rev. Fathers Condon and Coleman, of this city.  The ceremony occupied about half an hour, and meanwhile Gov. W. D. Hoard had arrived on the 2:50 train, via. the C.&N.W.R. R.  With a few well-chosen remarks, Gov. Hoard was introduced to the large audience assembled by Rev. Father Corby.


“Although not the earliest section, the three-story east wing built in 1889 function as the façade and main building of the cream brick complex”

- Intensive Survey Report: Architectural and Historical Survey Report, 1987, 356 pages



-- --         FIRE INSURANCE MAP




The gentle zephyrs have wafted to our sanctum a rumor pertaining to an entertainment to be given on the 22d Inst.  A grand athletic exhibition seems to be the idea, and the proceeds are to be devoted to the uniforming of our illustrious ball club.  That such an entertainment will be a success in every way goes without saying.  The praiseworthy object for which it is given cannot fail to receive the united support of every student.    WG



The Sacred Heart College has lately purchased a 2 ¾ acre tract belonging to the Kolinski estate, joining the college grounds on the east, and situated just west of the Northwestern railway track.  This makes a fine edition to the already spacious grounds of the institution.  


The enlargement of the Sacred Heart College comprises a chapel and refectory building, two stories high, 38x62 feet, and a smaller building 18x32 to be used also for a refectory.  The architecture of this addition corresponds to that of the main building and is a fine improvement to the Sacred Heart edifice.  An ice-house is also in course of erection.  The entire outlay for these improvements is about $10,000.    WR



07 13       GYMNASIUM

M. Franzen has secured the contract to build a new Sacred Heart College gymnasium.  The building will cost from $5000 to $7000.   WG



Last Wednesday afternoon the Sacred Heart College team defeated the Northwestern University boys at the city ball park by a score of 20 to 8.  The battery was Connors and Murphy for the former, and Kronitz, Weimar Frederick and Redlin for the latter.   Connors struck out ten men, and the three N.W.U. pitchers twelve.   WR


11 07       LETTER TO EDITOR

Letter to editor about the expulsion of students from Sacred Heart College.   WR



The first matched game of football between the Northwestern University and Sacred Heart College eleven was played yesterday afternoon on the former's campus.  Although the weather was extremely cold and a strong northwest wind prevailed, the teams put up a fairly good game and showed numerous strong points in the individual work of the players.  As the elevens came on the field it was seen that the Sacred Hearts averaged heavier by several pounds than their opponents . . . The features of the game were the sprinting of Farrell and Quinlen, the tackling of Stuehm, and the work of Krafft and Brand back of the line, although the latter was open to criticism for not better guarding his goal.  The time of each half of the game was cut from the customary thirty-five minutes to twenty minutes.  The Northwesterns play the Milwaukee Athletic Society eleven tomorrow at Milwaukee.   WR


11 30       RUGBY

An account of the football game between Northwestern and Sacred Heart.  Interesting statements like "it proves that rugby is a manly sport and when played by gentlemen is not so utterly bad after all."




The Whitewater Register pays the Sacred Heart College football team the following compliment, in speaking of their recent game with the normal school:  "The Watertown players were all gentlemen and despite their overwhelming defeat, took it very gracefully.  They played a gritty, determined game, in spite of their inefficiency.  With proper training and practice, they will undoubtedly make a first-class team, and be able to put up more winning football.  They certainly have good material to work on."   WG



                ADRIAN JOSS

Adrian Joss played baseball for Watertown and Watertown’s Sacred Heart Team in 1899, along with his future major league catcher Red Kleinow.



Though a drizzling rain set in about 12:30 o'clock Sunday, the baseball cranks were not prevented a little bit from going to see the great game scheduled for the afternoon between the Jefferson Blues and the Sacred Heart college team at the new park in Jefferson.  A special train was run over the Northwestern Road and large crowds from all around this vicinity were aboard it.  The weather being rather cold, the spectators exerted themselves to keep warm and their continual moving about and yelling tended to arouse the enthusiasm to its highest pitch.  The game was called at 3 o'clock, with Jefferson at the bat.  Claude Elliott, the famous Portage twirler appeared on the slab for the Sacred Hearts, with Kleinow behind the bat.   WR



Out at Watertown they have a baseball team that bids fair to be shifted to Milwaukee before the season ends if the boys continue the early season’s pace.  It is the Sacred Heart college team, with an outside battery, and the way they are eating up all the amateur teams they are meeting is a caution to dyspepsia.  The citizens of Watertown don’t understand what can be the matter with their Madison cousins in giving up baseball in disgust.  The reason it is said there is no fever in the Philippines just now is because Watertown has gone out and gathered together all kinds of fever known to man and centered fire on baseball interests.  Wisconsin’s close second German city is becoming dissatisfied with its former quietude and bids fair to get wide awake this summer in the baseball business.  Nobody pretends to do any business out there these days when there is a baseball game on.  The residents can hardy finish their dinners in time to get out for the preliminary practice.  If anybody has an idea that Watertown has not a lot of solid business men and good red-hot sports, just let him take out his role the next time there is a game scheduled at that attractive city and commence to offer bets on the visiting team.


They can make fun of Watertown’s not having half a dozen American merchants in her city limits and all that sort of thing, but her boys know how to whack the everlasting glucose out of Spalding’s pig-skins.  The citizens will endeavor to keep the team after the college year closes and if they are successful will loan it to Mack at the end of the season to help him win the pennant."  Milwaukee Journal, May 20, 1899.    WG


05 30       Lewis Monument dedication participant.



The Sacred Heart College team made a most auspicious opening of the season of '99 in its game with St. John's Military Academy at Delafield last Saturday afternoon, winning by a score of 4 to 1.  The contest was a splendid exhibition of the popular national sport, and it was won and lost on its merits, the Sacred Heart playing the superior playing all around.  WR



There will be an interesting game of football at Washington park in this city next Saturday afternoon at 3 o'clock between the Sacred Hearts and the Madison Highs.  Both these teams are first-class ones, and a good game is promised.  The Sacred Hearts are under great expense in getting the Highs here, and it is hoped that they will be rewarded by a large attendance.   Admission to park is 25 cts.  Captain Disch, of the Sacred Hearts, says his team is in good shape, and will give a good account of themselves.   WG



Our football enthusiasts were treated to an exceptionally good game at Washington park Thursday afternoon, when the Sacred Hearts defeated the Stag Athletic Club of Milwaukee, in a close and exciting contest by a score of 11 to 5.  Both teams played hard, but the game dragged considerably owing to slight injuries sustained by the players.  On the whole the playing was unusually clean and there were no violations of the rules.  After the game the Stags spoke in high praise of their treatment here and said the Sacred Hearts were as gentlemanly a lot of players as they had ever met on the gridiron.




       Watertown’s Sacred Heart College, a branch of Notre Dame University



The team from St. John’s Military academy, Delafield, met the Sacred Hearts Saturday afternoon at Washington park.  The soldier boys were entirely outclassed sand were kept busy chasing the leather while their opponents fattened up their batting averages.  At the end of seven innings the visitors said they had had enough and quit, the score standings 29 to 0 against them.  The game was considerable of a farce.   WR



At Washington park next Saturday the Sacred Hearts, of this city, and the Physicians and Surgeons of Milwaukee, will play an interesting game of football.  The game will be called at 2:45 p.m.  Admission 25 cent.  Both clubs are in good trim and a good game may be looked for.  A picked eleven composed of first and second team men from Sacred Heart College defeated the Young American football team in a score of 29 to 0, last Sunday afternoon on the ground of the former.  The football game between Northwestern University eleven and the College on the grounds of the former last Saturday morning was won by the former team. Score 15 to 0.   WG


11 09       [more on Physicians and Surgeons]  An interesting football game was played at Washington Park this city last Saturday afternoon between the Sacred Heart eleven and the Physicians and Surgeons of Milwaukee.  The game was hard fought throughout and only in the last half minute of the game Meagher's superb drop kick from the 45-yard line decided the contest.  Both teams played a brilliant game, but the collegians proved too strong before the men from Milwaukee at pivotal moments.  Almost twice had the Physician and Surgeon men the ball within ten yards of a Sacred Heart goal, but on such occasion they were forced to hand over the ball, failing to make the necessary 5 yards.  For Sacred Heart Meagher made to splendid punts, each measuring some 70 yards . . . Score -- Sacred Heart, 5; Physicians and Surgeons,0.   At Washington park next Saturday the Sacred Hearts, of this city, and the Physicians and Surgeons of Milwaukee, will play an interesting game of football.  The game will be called at 2:45 p.m.  Admission 25 cent.  Both clubs are in good trim and a good game may be looked for.  A picked eleven composed of first and second team men from Sacred Heart College defeated the Young American football team in a score of 29 to 0, last Sunday afternoon on the ground of the former.  The football game between Northwestern University eleven and the College on the grounds of the former last Saturday morning was won by the former team. Score 15 to 0.   WG



This is as near as they can get at it in Milwaukee, unless they are shipping goods or daily papers to us here in Watertown.


Under the caption, “Sacred Hearts Win at Walestein,” the Sunday Sentinel publishes the following extremely comprehensive item:


“Walestown, Wis., Dec. 15. — The Sacred Hearts defeated the Athletics 36 to 13 tonight.  The teamwork of the college boys was perfect.


As often as the semi-annual cyclone occurs Watertown might appear on the map if the Milwaukee Sentinel did not disguise the name, or put in Watertown items under Waterloo, Whitewater and Jefferson headlines.  However, we feel inclined to note that if asked if the circulation of the Sentinel in our city was dropping off, or subscribers in our midst were growing less each year, they might contend that their list here was growing larger every year, notwithstanding the late report of not as many inhabitants here as in former years.  The more they lash us — well, club/a dog and he is apt to come nearer to you.   WG







William J. Lee / 1899-1900 Watertown City Dir



The bazaar held at Cleveland hall, Richwood, last Wednesday, by the congregation of St. Joseph’s Catholic Church, of which Rev. Father Thillman, of the Sacred Heart college is pastor, was a very successful affair. The attendance was large, a variety of articles were disposed of, and a neat profit realized by the congregation. An enjoyable musical and literary program was given as a means of entertaining the guests . . .    WG



Next Saturday afternoon at 2 o'clock the Sacred Heart football eleven and the Milwaukee Medics will play a game at Washington park.  This will be the best football game of the season and large crowd should be on hand to witness it.  The same teams were slated for last Saturday but the game was cancelled by the Medics.  It will come off without fail next Saturday.  Don’t fail to attend it if you want to see a great game.  A week ago the Medics held the Chicago University eleven down to 13-0 and the Sacred Hearts this year are in the best of trim.  Admission to game 25 cents.   WG




At 8 o'clock next Saturday evening at Turner opera house the Sacred Heart College basketball team and the basket ball team of Co. M., 1st Regiment, Oconomowoc, will play a game of basket-ball.  It will be the first game of the season for the college boys, but they promise to do some good work.  Capt. Brew has had the men out practicing for seven weeks and says he is going to give everyone a surprise.  The following men are out practicing hard: Capt. Brew, Vanderboom, Porterfield, Krueger, McDermit, John Schmutzler and Madden.  Capt. M's. team has been playing games for the last six weeks and are making a fine record for themselves.  They are a very gentlemanly team and have received praises for their work everywhere they have played.  It is reported that a large crowd of hooters will come down with the Oconomowoc.  The college boys play a return game at Oconomowoc the following game.   WG



08 24       Remodeling, improvements at Sacred Heart







10 23       Northwestern University football team defeated Sacred Heart College   WG


11 13       Students gave dramatic entertainment for ladies of St. Joseph’s Catholic Church, Richwood    WG


11 27       Students gave a select reading and a one-act comedy at St. Joseph's bazaar and festival    WG



03 19       St. Patrick's Day; St. Patrick’s Dramatic Club of Sacred Heart presentation   WG


04 30       Faculty members entertain, Prof. S. S. Mullen and Prof. Moldenhauer   WG


06 11       Thomas Irving and Joseph Burke ordained   WG


06 18       Commencement; Stone Gold Medal for General History, donated by William C. Stone   WG


07 16       Rev. D. P. O’Leary, president, reassigned, Rev. D. O’Malley new president   WG


07 30       Father O’Neil, associate editor, The Ave Maria, guest   WG


08 20       Sacred Heart College is conducted by the Congregation of Holy Cross, a congregation with a world-wide reputation for rational progressiveness in educational methods.  Unwedded to any one of the older systems of instruction, it has adopted the best in the various systems and has discarded what numerous expounders of the older established systems would gladly discard were it not fettered by tradition.


The result is an educational system unrivaled by any, whether it be religious or secular.  Moreover it is an axiom with this teaching body that those qualities of mind and heart which inspire youth with noble ideals shall be entrusted with their care.


At Sacred Heart the curriculum is complete in the classical, English, scientific and business courses.  A thorough mastery of English is considered of first importance.  The most important modern languages receive due attention.  The scientific course is outlined to meet an ever-growing need.  The laboratories have been remodeled and newly equipped.


Students in the commercial courses follow a fixed program of studies and receive a complete business training.


True to the best traditions, Sacred Heart also recognizes the great value of the classical languages in the development of the mind, and a special effort is made to have men at the head of this department who are capable not only of dispelling the odium which usually attends the study of the classics, but also of inspiring a real liking for them.


A gymnasium, two large play halls, and a bowling alley afford opportunity for healthful exercise.  The athletic field contains thirty acres of ground.  With these advantages may be mentioned the beauty of its situation, the healthfulness of its water supply, and that illness among students is practically unknown.  All in all, Sacred Heart of Watertown should not be overlooked by parents who desire to see their boys placed in a suitable school.   WG




Corby Hall at Sacred Heart College was crowded with people last Thursday morning to witness the 37th annual commencement of that famous educational institution.  The program was a very interesting one, each young gentleman participating doing credit to himself as well as to Sacred Heart College and its efficient faculty.  [Among the graduates were the following Watertown residents:]  Peter Brooks, Henry Brusenbach and Thomas O’Connell . . . The Stone Gold Medal for General History, donated by William C. Stone, Watertown, was awarded to Herbert Weidner of Chicago . . .    WG


09 24       President William H. Taft stops at depot and speaks, students on hand   WG



06 17       38th annual commencement   WG



Re-appointed Pastor and President:  At the chapter of the Congregation of the Holy Cross recently held at Notre Dame, Ind., Rev. Father Hennessey was re-appointed pastor of St. Bernard's Church for the ensuing year, and Rev Father O'Malley was re-appointed president of Sacred Heart College, with most of the old faculty of the college, which has been one of the best in the history of the college   WG




The Provincial Chapter of the Congregation of Holy Cross, recently in session at Notre Dame, Indiana, decided to transfer Sacred Heart College of this city to the control of the Brothers of the Order.


The Brothers will immediately open the institution as a postulate for candidates aspiring to the Brotherhood.  Arrangements are now under way with the parents of the students of last year for their transfer to the University of Notre Dame on the opening of the fall term.


The new superior, Brother Bernard, C.S.C., late of the Central Catholic High School, Fort Wayne, Ind., and Brothers Paul and Alban of Notre Dame, Indiana, and Brother Jerome of Portland, Oregon, are now on the grounds and will be followed in a few days by the Brothers who are to form the new facility.


The postulants of the Brotherhood, now at Dujarie Institute, Notre, Dame, are to be brought here at once and will be the nucleus of the student body of the college for the coming year.  No boys other than those who intend to fit themselves for entering into the community will be accepted at Sacred Heart College.  Those who enter will follow a regular course here until fitted to begin their Novitiate at Notre Dame.  After completing their term of probation at the Novitiate they will be sent to Dujarie Institute at Notre Dame and take up a four to six year course in higher studies, on the completion of which they will be given diplomas by the University of Notre Dame and assigned to one or other of the colleges or high schools conducted by the Brothers in different sections of the country.


Boys or young men aspiring to become religious teachers are to be given every advantage at Sacred Heart College and it is the hope of the Brothers that the applicants will be numerous enough to fill the halls of the local institution within a short time.


The members of the late faculty of Sacred Heart College have been assigned as follows . . .   WG






03 18       THE BOYS’ CHOIR

The Boys’ choir of Sacred Heart College sang the Vesper and Benediction service at St. Bernard’s church last Sunday evening.  Their singing was excellent and several of the voices are of a pure soprano tone, which led many to believe who heard them that they were ladies voices.  A large congregation was present to hear them.   WG



Sixthly. I give and bequeath to Sacred Heart College, Watertown, Wis., $10,000 to be used for repairing and for permanent improvements of buildings.


11 04       St. BERNARD'S LOSES

For the first time St Bernard’s soccer team went down to defeat to the sturdy juniors of Sacred Heart College.  During the first half the advantage lay entirely with St. Bernard’s, but the stubborn defense of the college boys saved their goal time and again.  In the second half the gold and blue fought fiercely against the stiff breeze.  But the wind and the weight of their opponents finally forced the ball between the goal posts.  Another goal was registered just as the last whistle blew.  Score:  St. Bernard’s 0; College juniors 2.  For the college, McCarthy, Kob and Gerend played a fine game.  Manning and Usher excelled for St. Bernard’s.   WG



   1922  Sacred Heart College taken by James Marion Forys


   1922  Sacred Heart College; taken by James Marion Forys















     1936 Watertown Centennial Celebration  

  Image Portfolio        


The setting for the field mass was one of great beauty and solemnity.  The altar used was the first one erected in St. Bernard's church and was taken to the field for the occasion . . . The choir of Sacred Heart postulate, directed by Brother Arnold, C. S. C., sang during the mass and the 105th Cavalry band also participated at the service.





St Mary’s Hospital’s new $132,000 addition was dedicated at appropriate ceremonies at the hospital chapel, located in the new addition.  His Excellency, the Most Rev. Samuel A. Stritch, archbishop of the Milwaukee archdiocese, officiated at the dedication, assisted by a large number of clergymen. . . . Assisting Archbishop Stritch were the archbishop’s assistant, the Rev. Roman Atkielski; Rev. Francis Xavier Schwinn, of St. Henry’s parish here; Rev. Fr. Hess of Waterloo; Rev. Patrick Haggerty, C. S. C., of St. Bernard’s parish here; Rev. John Devers, C. S. C., of Sacred Heart College here; Rev. Alfred Wiemer of St. Henry’s parish here; Rev. Edward Malloy, C. S. S. R., rector of the Redemptorist Seminary of Oconomowoc; Rev. Ray Miller, C. S. S. R.; Rev. Fr. Zingen of Jefferson and Rev. Edward Hertel of Waterford.




  The Feast of Christ the King saw Brothers of the Holy Cross and postulants attending Forty Hours devotions in the chapel of the Sacred Heart Juniorate [a course of study for candidates for the priesthood, brotherhood, or sisterhood; specifically: one preparatory to the course in philosophy].  This year their petitions were for the restoration to men and nations of peace, right order and justice.  




Several brothers of Sacred Heart Academy assisted physicians in conducting a first aid course for newly formed county U.S. Civil Defense Corps [auxiliary police].




On the other side of our fair city stands another institution of learning which is known to us as Sacred Heart College.  We, the students of Northwestern College know very little about it, and whenever it is mentioned it is spoken of as something almost mysterious.  I would like to throw a little light on the subject of Sacred Heart, to give the students up here a better understanding of it.  My comments in this article are all personal observations and are correct so far as I know.  I made no attempt to dig down into the Catholic doctrines, but only observed what they do without asking for explanations.


The first thing I noticed was that there are few students at S. H. C.  At the time of my last visit there were less than thirty.  The students ranged in age from about 14 to 21.  They stay at Sacred Heart only six months, before they transfer to another school in Indiana, after which they transfer either to Notre Dame or Texas.  In other words, two different groups of students come to Sacred Heart each year.  They come from all parts of the country, from New York to Hollywood.


None of the students at Sacred Heart are studying for the priesthood, but rather will become brothers, the duties of which are not clearly known to me.  I suppose one might compare them to our parochial school teachers.


Studies are not stressed nearly so much at Sacred Heart as they are here at Northwestern.  There is a short study period in the evening (shorter than ours by half).  There are no free afternoons such as those we have here.  The day is divided up and scheduled in such a way as to keep the student busy from morning till night.  I believe in this way a genuine interest is developed in the student's work, making his life truly peaceful and free from worry.  No one may leave the grounds except on very special occasions.  There is no thought of going out at night; rather the students retire already at 9:30, since they must arise about 5:00 a.m.  To a Lutheran's eye there appears to be much self-denial, and yet one must admire a person who can give so many things up; no smoking is allowed.  As far as I know no letters are written or received.  At least such was the case during Lent.


I spoke especially to a young fellow from Michigan.  His high school days had been much the same as those of any average American boy's as far as smoking, drinking, girls, dates, and dancing were concerned.  He said it did not seem hard at all to give up these things, because he was kept busy enough and was truly interested in his life and work at Sacred Heart.


Each student has a special duty assigned to him, which is his obedience.  Some work in the barn, others have other jobs.  The students have quite a number of cattle and chickens, which must be cared for, and they also raise a large amount of their own garden food.  They have a cook but nevertheless help out in the kitchen themselves.


Much of the space is not used at Sacred Heart, and it is not at all crowded as it is here.   


The students make beads and statues of Christ and the Saints as sort of a hobby or pastime.  They have a recreation room, but they cannot listen to the radio just any time they want to, nor are they allowed to read any newspapers.


They have a chapel which is more beautiful than ours with its statues and stained glass.


At every door they have a little container with holy water, in which the students and teachers dip their fingers and then cross themselves, which gives them an indulgence of a certain number of days in purgatory.


Any student who is interested I am sure would be welcome to visit Sacred H. C. on some Sunday afternoon where he could get an inside view of the school and its activities; my visits to this school were very interesting, and I know there are many more things to learn.


WERE                  (The Black and Red, April, 1954)



Sacred Heart College campus on Sunday afternoon will be the scene of a revival of the Corpus Christi procession and services.  The last such solemn procession held there was on June 10, 1944.  Because of the annual retreat the traditional ceremony was not held in 1945 and this year’s procession renews an old tradition after a lapse of ten years, according to Brother Francis Borgia, C.S.C., superior of the college.  The program will begin at 4 p.m. and the speaker will be the Rev. Jerome Hastritch, chancellor of the Diocese of Madison.




Watertown Daily Times, 07 14 1955




Initial enrollment at new school to be limited to about 50


Sacred Heart Military Academy here in Watertown will open its doors on Tuesday, Sept. 6, according to announcement made today by Brother Dominic Elder, C.S.C. Ph. D., the headmaster who has arrived in the city to complete plans for the opening and assume his duties as head of the new school.


Brother Dominic has just completed six years as master of novices at St. Joseph’s Novitiate at Rolling Prairie, Ind.  He is a native of Paducah, Ky., graduated from Notre Dame University in 1936, received his master’s degree in 1941 and his doctor of philosophy degree in political science in 1951.  He was at one time stationed at Sacred Heart College here and Watertown is not a stranger to him.


Sitting in his office at the academy today, Brother Dominic spoke of the plans and hopes for the institution.  First announcement of the new school was made months ago, last year, when work was first begun on a vast building and alteration program to convert the old college into new and required quarters for it new purposes.  Work has been underway for months and is still not completed.  It is likely the work will continue right up to the day of the opening, since there is much to be done, although a tremendous amount of work has already been completed.


Junior Boarding School


Sacred Heart Military Academy will be operated by the Brothers of Holy Cross as a junior boarding school.  Its opening in September will mark the fulfillment of a need in the Midwest which the Order felt for a resident grade school of limited enrollment.


Brother Dominic said that for the first year of operation the enrollment will be limited to some 50 boys in the age group of fifth to eighth grade pupils.  He said that all indications point to a full enrollment and that some may have to be turned away.  The reason for limitation at the 50 or so mark is that for the present the old college will continue to be used in part for a postulate.  It is planned to move the postulate to some other area at a later date.  When that is done the facilities here will provide for an enrollment of 150 or more.


In addition to boarding students, the academy will accept day students, Brother Dominic said.  He said that already somewhere in the neighborhood of 150 inquiries have been received regarding enrollments and, he added, anyone else interested may arrange for an interview by calling his office.  Registering cadets for the term starting Sept. 6 is now underway.


All of the new construction and the alterations at the college have been carried out to meet all Wisconsin fire code and building requirements, Brother Dominic said.


Christian Education


Christian education will be the dominant theme of the academy.  It will strive to harmoniously develop “the whole-man-his physical, intellectual and religious powers”.


The general purpose of education at Sacred Heart Military Academy is to train boys to become, under the inspiration of divine grace and the orderly pursuit of intellectual and moral truth, true Christian gentlemen,  and the means of accomplishing this will be found in a well-balanced program which has been laid out for the new academy and in its small classes which will permit individual attention, close supervision and guidance, and above all, in its experienced and understanding staff of faculty members.


The Brother of the Holy Cross were the first teaching brotherhood to make a permanent foundation in the United States and for more than a century they have been conducting grammar schools, high schools, preparatory schools and colleges, both boarding and day, not only in the United States but in other countries as well.


The Holy Cross Brothers have a definite philosophy of life, education, and youth direction.  Their methods are tried and proved, best exemplified by their long association with the University of Notre Dame since its founding in 1842 by a priest and six Brothers of the Congregation.


The course of studies, the religious training, the rules of discipline, athletic and social activities – all these are designed to develop the soul and body, heart and mind of students so that they may fulfill the purpose of their existence in this world and the next.


Approved Curriculum


The curriculum which is to be followed at the academy is designed along the lines in elementary schools of the Diocese of Madison of which the Rt. Rev. William P. O’Connor is bishop, and which has been approved by the State Department of Education for Wisconsin for school grades five to eight.


The military training will consist of the regular U. S. Infantry drill and will be required of all students.  Specially designed military uniforms will be worn by the students.


The academy will provide a physical education and sports program and all students will participate in the formal physical education classes as well as in the year-around intramural program of games.


Activities, according to Brother Dominic, will be numerous and varied.  Declamation and dramatics are to be correlated with the regular classroom work.  Art, crafts, nature study, typing, choral and instrumental music are elected subjects for students with these particular interests.  Billiards, pool, ping-pong, chess and other indoor games will be available at all recreation periods.  Hobbies of every sort will be encouraged and developed to promote a vigorous but voluntary form of healthful recreation and worthy employment of leisure time, Brother Dominic said.


Visiting Periods


Part of each Sunday will be devoted to visiting hours for parents and others.  These hours will be from 1 to 4:45 p.m. on Sundays.


Brother Dominic said that he will be happy to provide any additional information anyone may wish to have.  He will provide an illustrated leaflet giving detailed information, enrollment fees, general expenses, etc. to anyone who applies.  He may be reached by telephone or may be addressed by mail by sending a letter of inquiry to The Headmaster, Sacred Heart Military Academy, Watertown, Wis.


He said that additional details concerning the coming term, such as faculty members, etc. will be given in the Times before the school formally opens in September.




Plans for opening the new Sacred Heart Military Academy here on Sept. 6 are progressing under the direction of Brother Dominic Elder, C.S.C., recently assigned here as headmaster.  To be conducted by the Brothers of Holy Cross who have conducted a juniorate here for many years, the academy will be operated as a boarding school with an enrollment of about 50.  Day students will also be accepted, said Brother Dominic, and the present old college will continue to be used in part as a postulate.  The military training will consist of the regular U.S. Infantry drill and will be required of all students, who will wear specially designed uniforms.  There will be a physical education and sports program with elective courses in declamation, dramatics, crafts, nature study, typing, choral and instrumental music.   WDT



Fifty young cadets arrived today at Sacred Heart Military Academy for opening day ceremonies and the beginning of the school year at Watertown's latest institution of learning. Muster of the cadet corps on the parade ground at 5 p.m., followed by roll call and the march to the assembly room for initial instruction by the Headmaster, marked the official inauguration of the school term.  As they arrived at the academy with their parents, the cadets were registered and measured for their dress and school uniforms.  Afterwards, members of the faculty met the parents and students and assigned the latter their places in classrooms, dormitories, chapel, and dining room.  When routine procedures were completed, parents and boys toured the school buildings and grounds of the academy until bugle call summoned the young students to the parade grounds for the first assembly.   WDT




Brother Dominic Elder, C.S.C., headmaster of Sacred Heart Military Academy which opened in Watertown last September, was the speaker at Monday’s noon luncheon meeting of the Watertown Rotary Club in the Elks Club.  He spoke on the institution, its aims and its training program and also discussed at length the Congregation of the Holy Cross which operates the academy and which also operated the old Sacred Heart College and later the novitiate.


The academy here is about the first venture of its kind the Order has undertaken.  It was opened with a limit of 50 cadets last fall and has had to turn away additional applicants, because of the present limited facilities.  Since the Brotherhood will vacate its part of the school shortly, it is hoped to step up the enrollment to 84 next fall and more eventually.  He said there is no question about getting additional enrollments. 


09 06       56 CADETS

School has begun for 56 cadets at Sacred Heart Military Academy, the boarding school opened last year in Watertown by the Brothers of Holy Cross for boys from fifth through eighth grades.  Yesterday, labeled opening day at the school, Cadets and their parents arrived for registration and other routine procedures, followed by a meeting and refreshments for parents, and in the evening, a movie and party for the newly arrived Cadets.  The second cadet corps in the history of the academy comes, like the first, mostly from the Chicago, Milwaukee and Twin Cities area, with several boys from various towns in Wisconsin, and one each from Whiting, Indiana, Michigan, Indiana, Detroit, Michigan, Owensboro, Kentucky, and Cleveland, Ohio.   WDT



12 13       THE CAMACHO BOYS

   Sacred Heart Cadets assumed




For the first time since it opened its doors in September, 1955, Sacred Heart Military Academy here has a capacity enrollment of 100 boys, according to announcement made public today by the headmaster, Brother Dominic Elder, C.S.C. The academy is conducted by the Brothers of the Holy Cross in what was for many years Sacred Heart College. At the present time the academy has a waiting list, the headmaster said  WDT


09 07       $65,000 CHAPEL IS NEARLY READY <> 103 ENROLLED

One hundred and three boys have been registered at Sacred Heart Military Academy for the 1960-61 school term.


At the present time, with the facilities the academy now has, the administration feels that 100 boys is the maximum capacity, although it usually takes a few extra boys in case there may be some cancellations.


Boys registered at Sacred Heart come from many states, and a few from Central and South American countries.  The great majority of boys, however, are from Chicago and the Milwaukee area.  Currently 40 cadets are registered from the Chicago area and 26 from the Milwaukee area.  From other cities in Wisconsin the school has eight boys, five from Indiana, four from the Cleveland area, and four from Detroit and other cities in Michigan.


From Foreign Places


Four boys are from Mexico City two from Guatemala City, Centra America, one from Venezuela and one from Canada.  There are two from Rochester, Minn., and two from Minneapolis, Minn.  From South Dakota there are three, and one each from Omaha, Neb. and Dubuque, Ia., and Philadelphia.


For the first time at Sacred Heart Military Academy, Spanish will be taught in each of the four grades.  For the past two years, during the second semester, the school has taught Latin and algebra to the eighth grade students.


There have been many improvements of the facilities at Sacred Heart this year.  The chapel has been the big project.  Work has been progressing steadily during the past several months.  The completed chapel will cost between $60,000 and $65,000.


The Maas Brothers Construction Co. of Watertown is the general contractor.  Although most of the work on the chapel will be completed in two more weeks, all the furnishings and the stained glass windows will not be completed until about Nov. 1, according to Brother Dominic Elder, C.S.C. headmaster of the academy.



A major building project listed in Watertown for September is a $25,000 remodeling program at Sacred Heart Military Academy.  WDT




A picture containing indoor, decorated, table, altar

Description automatically generated  

Final preparations were being made at Sacred Heart Military Academy for the visit on Thursday of the Rt. Rev. William P. O’Connor, bishop of Madison, when he comes to the city to officiate at ceremonies marking the blessing of the newly renovated Sacred Heart Military Chapel.  The newly renovated chapel is a project that has been underway for three years.  The actual work was started on June 6, 1960.  The architect for the project is Ingram & Ingram of Louisville, Ky., who is associated with Brust & Brust in Milwaukee.  The general contractor was the Maas Brothers Construction Co. of Watertown.  All the interior decorating was executed by Josten & Co., Milwaukee.    WDT


08 15       For many years the Brothers of Holy Cross have used the property here, known as Sacred Heart College, as a house of initial training for young men aspiring to become Brothers.  In fact from 1912 to 1955, the brothers conducted a high school for young men along with the orientation course they received for the religious life.  These young men who enter to become religious, are referred to as aspirants.  Since the Brothers of Holy Cross are a teaching community, aspirants receive training at the college level.  The present group at the juniorate has young men from both near and far.  They come from as near as Fond du Lac and as far as San Diego, Calif.  Thirteen states are represented: California having 17; Ohio, 12; Michigan, 5; Indiana, 4; Illinois, Louisiana, Texas and Wisconsin, each 3; Kansas, 2; Florida, Kentucky, Missouri and North Dakota, each one.   WDT




Sacred Heart Military Academy, conducted by the Brothers of Holy Cross as a junior military academy, opened its eighth session today.  The academy, which has an enrollment capacity of 110 cadets, begins the school year with 102 since some of the foreign cadets arrive late in order to finish grading periods in Mexico.  Most of the cadets are from the Chicago-Milwaukee area but other states represented are Michigan, Ohio, Nebraska, Indiana and Illinois.   WDT




A group of 13 aspirants to the Brothers of Holy Cross today completed their introductory training program at Sacred Heart Juniorate, operated in Watertown at Sacred Heart Military Academy.  The 13 left today for St. Joseph’s Novitiate at Rolling Prairie, Ind.  After a retreat of eight days, the young men will be invested with the religious habit of the Brothers of Holy Cross.  This ceremony will take place on Sunday, Aug. 15 and a high mass will be celebrated in connection with the reception ceremonies.   WDT




A group of 13 aspirants to the Brothers of Holy Cross today completed their introductory training program at Sacred Heart Juniorate, operated in Watertown at Sacred Heart Military Academy.  The 13 left today for St. Joseph’s Novitiate at Rolling Prairie, Ind.  After a retreat of eight days, the young men will be invested with the religious habit of the Brothers of Holy Cross.  This ceremony will take place on Sunday, Aug. 15 and a high mass will be celebrated in connection with the reception ceremonies.   WDT







The graduating class of Sacred Heart Military Academy will receive diplomas on Sunday afternoon, May 26.  The 35 graduates are the last group to complete studies here before the school relocates to Rolling Prairie, Ind., under the name of Le Mans Academy.  The Congregation of Holy Cross opened the College of Our Lady of the Sacred Heart in the year 1872.  Seventeen brothers and one priest of the Congregation of Holy Cross are on the faculty of the academy.  The academy property here, at 745 West Main Street, covers 62.5 acres. It is for sale and there have been several inquiries to date.  WDT



Almost 50 Watertown businessmen and city officials paid tribute to the Brothers of Sacred Heart military Academy at a luncheon gathering held at the academy on Friday noon.  In addition to the businessmen and officials, 13 Brothers, including Brother Carl Englert, C.S.C., headmaster, were present.  The academy is being transferred to a new location —Rolling Prairie, Ind.  The last class was graduated on Sunday. T he fall term will open in the new location.  Operation of the military academy began here in 1955.  Previously, the facilities were used for the operation of Sacred Heart College.  The college was established in 1872 — 96 years ago.



The new Maranatha Baptist Bible College in Watertown, a co-educational college, will begin its first semester of operation as a four year college, granting the bachelor of arts degree, on Tuesday, Sept. 10, according to its president, the Rev. Dr. Blaine Myron Cedarholm.  The board of trustees of the college, nationally known pastors, evangelists, church leaders and educators from across the nation, have purchased the beautiful 62.5 acre campus formerly occupied by the Sacred Heart Military Academy.  Local numbers of the board of trustees are Pastor Charles R. Sanders, Calvary Baptist Church, Watertown; Pastor Gale Schafer, Calvary Baptist Church, Jefferson; and John McLario, attorney, Menomonee Falls.






   Watertown Daily Times, 02 03 2001


Sacred Heart and now Maranatha Baptist Bible College have a long history and a close relationship with Watertown.


It was in the fall of 1871 that the authorities of the Congregation of Holy Cross at Notre Dame purchased the 65-acre site from Col. Henry Bertram who had purchased it from Patrick Rogen. In addition to the land, the property consisted of a large two-story residence of white brick and other smaller buildings. That was the original school, and it later became a guest house.


One year later, on Sept. 9, 1872, the facility opened as the University of Our Lady of Sacred Cross. The first enrollment consisted of 27 students. The first president of the school was the Rev. William Corby, C.S.C., one of the original founders.


The institution grew rapidly, and before the end of the first semester there were 66 students, five of whom were living on campus. To accommodate the increasing numbers the Provincial Council a year later approved construction of the central section of the main building.


Father Corby was a pretty busy man that year. At the same time he was leading this construction project, he was also pastor of St. Bernard's Catholic Church, and the huge structure now at the corner of Church and Main streets was being constructed.


On May 25, 1874, the university was chartered by the state of Wisconsin, making the college a fully recognized institution with the privilege of conferring degrees in science arts and commerce.


Back at that time the board of trustees of the university consisted of the Rev. William Corby, president; the Rev. Patrick J. Colovin, vice president; the Rev. John O'Connell, secretary; Bernard Smith, chancellor; and John Crowley, treasurer.


Sacred Heart College continued until 1886 when it was closed as a university by a decree of the General Chapter of the Congregation of Holy Cross. At that time it was converted to a normal school for the brothers as well as a preparatory school for young men who aspired to become brothers.


This new concept was short-lived, and in 1888 it was abandoned with 30 men planning to become brothers transferred to the newly created St. Joseph Novitiate in Notre Dame, Ind. At that point the school returned to being a university.


During the next five years there was an ambitious building program. The entire east wing was constructed in 1889. The northwest addition, which included the refectory and chapel, was completed in 1891, and the southwest wing, which housed the gymnasium and two bowling lanes, was constructed in 1894.


Cross Reference:  They were located in the lower level of the main building.  The lanes there were removed long ago.  Bowling pins at had to be set up one at a time.  There wasn't even a semi-automatic machine to assist with that work.  [Watertown Daily Times article, 04 19 2008]


From 1888 to 1912 the school operated as a university, but it was closed that year and once again it returned to the status of a normal school for young men who planned to become brothers.


From 1928 to 1955 the school also operated a regular high school course of study which was recognized by the University of Notre Dame. The graduates of that normal school could then easily be accepted to Notre Dame to complete their training as brothers.


The school was operated just as the name indicates - as a military academy. The young boys were taught strict discipline in addition to their academic and religious studies. We can remember them dressed in military uniforms performing various close order drills. They always looked pretty sharp as they went through their drills on the campus.


These young men came from all over the country and even some foreign countries. When they completed their education here, they were well educated through the eighth grade, well disciplined and well versed on the Bible.


Sacred Heart continued with this mission until 1955 when it opened as a military academy. It continued in that mission until 1968 when the Notre Dame officials decided to move the school to Indiana and the buildings were put up for sale.


The final class to graduate from Sacred Heart Military Academy consisted of 35 eighth-grade men. It was the 13th graduating class. The graduation took place on Sunday afternoon, May 26, 1968, with over 700 well-wishers looking on. There was a Mass at 10:45 a.m., a dinner for all of the guests at 11:30 a.m. and a military review at 1:30 p.m.


That review consisted of the honor drill platoon, drum corps and a competition drill among the four platoons of the company. Declamation winners gave their presentations, academic and citizenship awards were presented and diplomas were issued to the 35 eighth-graders.


And by the end of the day, the 17-member faculty, including the school's priest, had completed their work, and the planned move to Indiana became the main order of business.


It didn't take long before Dr. B. Myron Cedarholm visited the site with a vision of turning it into a Baptist Bible college, and by later that year the deal had been consummated and Maranatha Baptist Bible College was born. Maranatha has a rich history since that time. The list of improvements and new facilities on the campus has been staggering since that time, and there is much more to come.


It's kind of ironic that the brothers decided back in 1967 that the campus simply needed too much money to make the facilities acceptable for the purpose intended, but the Maranatha team a year later saw great opportunities when they purchased the facility for what surely appeared as a bargain price of $150,000.


Since that time Maranatha has expanded academically and is now an accredited college offering bachelor's and master's degrees in a number of disciplines. It also operates a child care and preschool and has plans for further expansions on the site and on some recently acquired property just north of Main Street. Maranatha also offers a full high school curriculum on the campus and has enjoyed rising enrollments at both the high school and college levels. In addition, the college has a close affiliation with Calvary Baptist Church which operates a Christian elementary school. As a result, children can be educated in the Baptist philosophy from preschool all the way through a master's degree.




A new dining commons building on the campus of Maranatha Baptist Bible College, 745 W. Main St., was the largest building permit issued in the month of August, according to the city’s building safety office.  The project, with an estimated cost of $4,550,000, is being constructed by Maas Bros. Construction of Watertown.     WDT




Luther Preparatory School will be allowed to use lighting to illuminate its football field, the Watertown Plan Commission unanimously decided Monday.  The lighting topic was brought in front of the Plan Commission because some residents feel that Luther Prep is violating a conditional use permit that was issued to the school in 1997.  At the time Luther Prep requested the conditional use permit in order to vacate College Circle and the alley adjacent to the tennis courts on the campus to create a soccer field and track area.  City Engineer Joe Radocay, City Building Inspector Joe Heimsch and City Planner Mike Slavney attended the Plan Commission meeting in 1997 and they said they believed that at the time the lighting restrictions only pertained to the soccer field area.    WDT





Image Portfolio






Weltburger, 07 13 1889


1925  Postulate, Brothers of Holy Cross

Uncertain date


James Marion Forys (Foryst) at Sacred Heart c1918

1922  Sacred Heart Church, Christmas

1923  Two  Sacred Heart brothers in photo

1918  Sacred Heart College

1922  Sacred Heart, Brother and Boy in the field

1924  Thought to be all brothers of Holy Cross at Sacred Heart College 

1922  Sacred Heart; for some next is the Univ ND . . and you know they loved football

1924  Sacred Heart College






Table of Contents 

History of Watertown, Wisconsin