ebook History of Watertown, Wisconsin
Watertown in 1915
Many Fine Improvements in Watertown
Watertown Gazette, 10 28 1915
Building operations in Watertown have shown marked activity during the last year. Many new residences have been erected, as well as a number of business buildings. The chief pride of Watertown is the new building of the Bank of Watertown, which institution is the oldest of its kind in Jefferson county. Its new home, which will be ready for occupancy about Nov. 1st, stands at the northwest corner of First and Main streets. The ground floor is equipped with the most modern of bank fixtures, while the upper floors will house several commodious office suites which will be occupied by such firms as the individuals as the Old Line Life Insurance Company, Attorney Wm. H. Woodard, F. J. Prentiss [T. & J. Prentiss] and W. C. Stone; while the president of the bank, Mr. F. E. Woodard, will also have private offices above the bank.
The city is soon to have a new high school building, which will be as fine as any building of its kind in any city the size of Watertown in the United States. An appropriation of approximately $100,000 for the erection of the new high school was recently approved by the city council.
Announcements by the Wisconsin Telephone Company of plans to expand in the neighborhood of $15,000 to extend its facilities is an indication of the confidence the Bell Telephone System has in the future of Watertown. And the fact that this big system considers it worthwhile to increase its investment here speaks well for the city’s past and present development, as well as its future.
In the present instance, the commercial engineers for the telephone company, who made an examination into local conditions, report that the city’s prospects are excellent. While there has been nothing of the spectacular in the progress of Watertown, its industrial, commercial and social development has been steady and consistent and there has been a corresponding development in the local business of the telephone company.
In this connection, attention might be called to other local activities. Street improvements, for instance, have been quite an item during the last year. The city paved Eighth Street between Main and Western Avenue with reinforced concrete, at a cost of more than $8,000; also North Second Street, between Jones Street and the Rock river. The latter improvement cost more than $12,000; and an additional $5,000 was expended in macadamizing Milford Road for three quarters of a mile. Other municipal improvements have included the construction of new storm sewers in the Sixth ward, new sanitary sewers in the Seventh ward and the expenditures of $3,000 for water mains.
The Watertown Gas and Electric Co. has made several improvements in their plant, including the remodeling of their outside equipment and replacing old and worn-out poles and wires. The installation by this company of new and modern street lamps has greatly improved the appearance of the streets.
Watertown has a right to be proud of her public and private enterprise, for it is based on a solid foundation, and everything indicates that the improvements made this year are but the forerunners of great things to come.
History of Watertown, Wisconsin