Jesse Stone Home
300 South Washington Street
Watertown Daily Times, 06 12 1976
A fine example of what was an early elaborate residence is the one known for many years as the Jesse Stone house, 300 South Washington, the original small house built in 1869, with additions seven years later. In 1876 side wings containing double library and den were added, as well as other additions.
Former Lt. Gov. Jesse Stone was born in England in 1836. In Watertown he was a partner in the firm of Woodard and Stone Bakery, at first a crackers and confectionery store.
Philip A. Olson was the home owner in 1976. He purchased the home in 1975 from the Walter Hertel estate. Through Olson and David Hertel, nephew of the previous owner, many very unusual features of this large brick home were related.
The property contains not only the home with its Mansard style roof, but a matching two story carriage or coach house. Both of these structures have the original built-in water tank, one on the third floor of the house and one on the second floor of the coach house.
The home contains large, high ceiling rooms, many double rooms, like the library and living rooms. There are three fireplaces in the home, five elaborate bay windows, seven stained glass windows.
One of these windows, the full size of a door, is at the end of the large central hall. This is designed with stained glass apple blossoms, blue birds and the sun.
The property is surrounded by the original iron picket fence.
06 22 The new residence [actually an addition to the original 1869 home] in process of erection on Washington Street, in the Third ward by Mr. Jesse Stone is well advanced. The structure is built upon the same site occupied by the old one, and judging from its present appearance, it looks as though it was going to rank, when completed, among the finest residences in the city, and in point of design, taste and convenience, it will not be surpassed by any. The style of the architecture is novel here, but in other cities it is quite popular, so much so in fact that a French roof is an indispensable ornament to an elegantly finished house. The water-tables, sills and caps are cut out of Cleveland limestone, and are already mounted in their places. On the take(?) an upright position in the rood(?), and below these the heavy cornice is support by about twenty-eight neatly carved brackets. The structure is yet unfinished, but under the practical supervision of its designer and builder, Mr. Joseph L. Kern, the building will be ready for occupancy by the first of September next. WD
09 26 The beautiful residence owned by Mr. Jesse Stone, situated on Washington Street, in the 3d. Word, is now finished, and will be occupied in the course of a week. The builder, Mr. Joseph L Kern, has succeeded in carrying out the design and details of the structure in admirable style, and we would say that the building in outward appearance, and for the elegant order of the work and graining was done by Mr. James B. Murphy, who always performs his work with genuine artistic taste. WD
Young man on velocipede
Oct The Jesse Stone House Bed and Breakfast was formerly dedicated with a ribbon-cutting ceremony.
Full length ornate mirror in the Thauer home is from the Jesse Stone home.
Jesse Stone built home at 501 S. Washington for his son, William C. Stone
History of Watertown, Wisconsin