The Jones-Kreitzman Family Collection
Prints can be ordered
Scroll down to see descriptions
09 17 The Watertown Historical Society unveiled a recently acquired photo collection to the public on Monday night at its quarterly meeting held at St. Paul’s Episcopal Church. The photo collection, donated by Gerald and William Kreitzman, is a series of more than 160 glass plate negatives of scenes of Watertown taken between 1880 and 1920. The series of prints, made from the glass plate negatives, was well received by the small crowd attending the viewing. Many of the copies were purchased and others were ordered. WDT
The Watertown Historical Society has acquired an irreplaceable set of over 200 glass-plate negatives consisting of views of city businesses and events in Watertown between 1881 and 1915. Included are several never before seen images of the interior of the Octagon House.
This irreplaceable set of plates has been donated to the society by Gerald Kreitzman and his brother William of Madison. It is believed that these negatives were made by their grandfather, William Jones.
It is the goal of the society to have these priceless glass negatives digitized, have prints made so to document and share, and to properly archive and protect the original glass plates.
High resolution copies of prints will be available for purchase upon completion of this project, currently targeted for September of this year.
Links to five low resolution sample images from this collection of negatives follow, indicating the scope of the collection and underscoring the need to properly preserve, while also making possible the opportunity to share these incredible images.
The society is looking for donations of money to help get the photos printed. The estimated cost for doing so may be as high as $1,700. Donations to this project can be sent to the Watertown Historical Society, 919 Charles St., Watertown, WI 53094.
Queries regarding a donation of any amount can be sent to the website mailbox.
We are anxious to share our history with you, made possible by the Jones-Kreitzman Family Collection and solicited donations in any amount for the digitization and printing of these breathtaking glass plate negatives.
Historical Society Archives Enhanced
by Photo Collection
Editorial, Watertown Daily Times, 09 20 2003
The archives of the Watertown Historical Society have been dramatically enhanced through the donation of 160 glass plate negatives of Watertown scenes from the 1800s and early 1900s.
This donation was made by Gerald and William Kreitzman from their family collection. The negatives are in excellent condition and extremely detailed. The photos reproduced from them are incredibly sharp.
We're elated that this collection has come to the historical society where it can be used by the entire community as a special resource.
The public received its first viewing of the photos earlier this week at the historical society's quarterly meeting at St. Paul's Episcopal Church. The public was understandably impressed with the collection.
We want to express our appreciation to the Kreitzman family for making this precious collection available to the historical society and ultimately the citizens of Watertown.
We also believe the historical society made the right move by making the photos readily available by offering reprints.
Through this collection Watertown residents will have a better understanding of life in this community decades ago.
Prints can be ordered
Order form at end of this file
Image# KR001 - Henry W. Vogel’s Gent’s Furnishings and Merchant Tailor, located on the "north side of Main Street, west of Sixth Street, circa 1888. Note the cracked emulsion on this image.
Image# KR002 - J.W. Ganes Music Store, circa 1876-1880. This store was located on the south side of Main Street, between First and Second Streets. Today this is the site of Sandra D’s Bridal Boutique. Note the following details in this image: Dr. Albert Solliday’s dentist office on the upper floor, Chas. Lotz’s saloon on the corner of Second Street (today the Johnson-Hellekson Building), and C.W. Chappell’s watch store. This negative was originally broken in three places and pieced back together, hence the white lines and the small black triangle on the right side.
Image# KR003 - Watertown’s Famous Band. This was obviously a joke or comic band created during the Harvest Jubilee in Sept., 1899. This image was taken inside the office of the old Fuermann brewery on S. First and Jones Streets.
Image# KR004 - Trick photograph of William Jones, playing cards with himself. Circa 1899.
Image# KR005 - William Jones standing by his first prize-winning float in the Harvest Jubilee parade held in Sept., 1899. Taken on the front yard of his home on Western Ave.
Image# KR006 - William Jones leaning against his first prize-winning float in the Harvest Jubilee parade held in Sept., 1899.
Image# KR007 - William Jones and his prize-winning float in the Harvest Jubilee parade held in Sept., 1899. The float stands in front of 410 East Main Street, at this time the home of Crosby Bros., bicycle shop. Currently this is the office of Dr. Harold Magnan, optometrist.
Image# KR008 - Picnic at Albrecht's Woods, circa 1899; or, possibly, picnic held by the Sinissippi Band, circa 1899.
Image# KR009 - Picnic held by the Sinissippi Band, circa 1899. Image slightly out of focus.
Image# KR010 - Interior of the William C. Radtke saloon, located at 113 West Main Street, circa 1902. Today this building is part of the Watertown Daily Times office. Those seated at the table playing cards are, from left to right, William Jones, unknown, H. Krueger, unknown waiter, William Radtke. The photo is marked "W. P. Matsch, photographer 401 Montgomery Street, Watertown. Wis.," which leads one to think that many of these negatives came from other photographers in the city, besides the family photos.
Image# KR011 - The Straw and Murphy Co., interior decorators, 118 W. Main Street, circa 1895.
Image# KR012 - Mrs. Henry Bertram’s Boarding and Lodging House. Note Bertram’s shoe store on the far right. This business, located on the "east side of Second Street, 4 houses north of Market Street," was run by Mrs. Helena Bertram, widow of the late General Henry Bertram, a former mayor of the city and hero of the Civil War. This image was taken circa 1888.
Image# KR013 - Octagon House, built in 1854 by John Richards, pioneer settler of Watertown. This image, made from a damaged negative, dates to circa 1899. There is a white blemish on the right side of image.
Image# KR014 - Unidentified children. Circa 1905.
Image# KR015 - Portrait of unidentified young girl, circa 1905.
Image# KR016 -Unknown delivery wagon, circa 1900.
Image# KR017 - Brooks Brothers, dry goods and groceries, located at 220 West Main Street, founded by Thomas Brooks. The brothers in question were James, Thomas and John. Today this is the site of Paul’s Antiques. This image was taken circa 1888.
Image# KR018 - "The Fair," W.F. Gruetzmacher, proprietor, circa 1892. This store sold fancy goods, crockery and notions. Today this is the site of the Watertown Insurance Company.
Image# KR019 - Unidentified merchant tailoring establishment. It is unknown if this is Watertown, WI.
Image# KR020 - John Dowling and Michael Burke’s meat market, circa 1887. Today this is the site of Edward Jones Investments, 215 West Main Street.
Image# KR021 - John E. Mawson and Company, dry goods and groceries. The "company" was Alvin E. Calhoun. The business was located on the "south side of Main Street, 3 buildings west of West Water Street". Today this is part of the Watertown Daily Times office. Circa 1888.
Image# KR022 - The Max E. Gritzner barber shop, located at 1 Main Street, in the basement of the Salick Jewelry Store building. Today this is part of the courtyard of the River Walk-way. Image taken circa 1895.
Image# KR023 - Tennis court at Washington Park, circa 1904.
Image# KR024 - The Watertown High School, located on the north side of Main Street between Seventh and Eighth Streets; today the site of the Econo-Lodge Hotel. Note the Wesley Methodist Church on the far left. This image dates to about 1895. The high school was located here until 1917, when it moved to South Eighth Street. It moved from that location in 1994.
Image# KR025 - William F. Trachte and C. Albert Trayser, dry goods store. It was located on the northwest corner of Third and Main Streets, today part of the Brown Shoe Company. Image taken circa 1890.
Image# KR026 - Believed to be the Herman Grube home on the corner of S. Fourth and Wisconsin Streets, circa 1890. This home was later razed and the present brick home built in its place. The Grube family later moved to the corner of S. Fifth and Wisconsin Streets and built a grand home known at one time as Marcella Manor. Mr. Grube was a former mayor of the city.
Image# KR027 - The Ernst Kunert Manufacturing Co., located at the foot of South First Street. This company made bridges and had a machine shop and foundry. The brick building on the far right was the very first brick hotel built in Watertown in 1847 by William Anson.
Image# KR028 - The Philip Heinrichs Company, located at 310-314 South First Street, circa 1895. The Heinrichs company made bedsteads, cane seat chairs, sash, doors, blinds and hard and soft lumber.
Image# KR029 - Men standing in front of the Fuermann Brewery office on Jones Street, presumably the members of the "Old Dutch Band," circa 1895.
KR030 - Print from a damaged negative showing Jesse Stone’s funeral procession,
Image# KR031 - Dredging of the mill race behind the Globe Mill on S. Water Street. Taken from the west bank of the river looking east, Koenig Mill, today the Watertown Senior and Community Center, can be seen in the background. This image dates to 1903.
Image# KR032 - A new floor being added to the G.B. Lewis plant located along S. Water Street, 1903. Wide shot, showing street.
Image# KR033 - A new floor being added to the G.B. Lewis plant located along S. Water Street, 1903. Close up image.
Image# KR034 - Horse barn, circa 1909, believed to have been located at one time in the old Bohemian section of Watertown, along Oconomowoc Ave. Print from a damaged negative. Silver in the negative has tarnished.
Image# KR035 - Home located along S. Concord Ave., just below the Octagon House, circa 1909. This print is from a damaged negative.
Image# KR036 - House, believed to have been located along Oconomowoc Ave., circa 1909. Print from a damaged negative.
Image# KR037 - Jesse Stone funeral, 1902. Damaged negative--fuzzy and spotted. This image shows the Knights of Columbus parading east near the intersection of Main and Fourth Streets.
Image# KR038 - Dredging out the mill race behind the Globe Mill on South Water Street in 1903.
Image# KR039 - Arial view along S. Concord Ave., circa 1909. The Kreitzman home can be seen near the right, the old water tower along Western Ave. can be seen just beyond it. This print is from a damaged negative.
KR040 - Intersection of Main and First Streets showing the procession during
the funeral of Lt. Gov. Jesse Stone,
KR041 - Funeral procession on Main Street for Jesse Stone,
Image# KR042 - No. 1 Main Street, the Joseph Salick Jewelry Store, Joseph Salick can be seen on the far right. Today this is the court yard of the River Walk-way. Note the following details: The famous Salick Clock can be seen in the window behind Mr. Salick (today this is in the Octagon House Museum), and Dr. F.C. Werner’s office in the upper story on the left.
Image# KR043 - East Main Street bridge, circa 1899.
Image# KR044 - The intersection of Main and Washington Streets, looking east, circa 1905. The Lewis Indian fountain stands in the intersection. This fountain was erected in 1896 and destroyed in 1923. A reproduction of the statue presently stands on the grounds of the Octagon House Museum. It was ordered by the city in 1923 and placed in Union Park, where it stood until 1964.
KR045 - Funeral procession for Jesse Stone,
KR046 - Jesse Stone funeral,
Image# KR047 - Mrs. John (Eliza Forbes) Richards, owner of the Octagon House, sitting in her conservatory circa 1900, and facing the camera.
Image# KR048 - The Richards family, in the conservatory of the Octagon House, circa 1900. Pictured here are, (standing left to right) William Thomas, grandson, Mary Alice (Richards) Green; (seated left to right) Anna (Richards) Thomas, Eliza (Forbes) Richards.
KR049 - Another image of Jesse Stone’s funeral,
Image# KR050 - Mrs. John (Eliza Forbes) Richards, owner of the Octagon House, sitting in her conservatory circa 1900, sitting in profile.
Image# KR051 - Unknown family seated in front of their home. Is this Watertown? Thought to be Mrs. Flueter’s home located between Church and Washington Streets.
Image# KR052 - Oconomowoc Ave. bridge, taken from the east bank of the Rock River, looking south at the bridge, circa 1909.
Image# KR053 - Arial view looking east showing the new Rough and Ready Dam along S. Concord Ave., under construction in 1909.
Image# KR054 - Print showing North Third Street taken from the barbershop, 117 N. Third Street, looking north, circa 1902. The street is being paved at this time, hence the pile of bricks to the left of the lady. The lady is unknown.
Image # KR055 - Main and Fifth Streets, looking to the east, circa 1905. On the right is the Wisconsin House Hotel, which was torn down in 1938 to make way for a Pure Oil gas station. Presently a coffee shop is on this site. The people are unidentified.
Image# KR056 - Party of observers viewing the new Rough & Ready Dam and power house along S. Concord Ave., in 1909. Taken from the east bank of Rock rive, looking west. The Octagon House can be seen in the distance.
Image# KR057 - Men standing in front of the skeleton of the newly constructed Rough & Ready Dam, located along S. Concord Ave., in 1909.
Image# KR058 - Unidentified man standing on top of the newly erected power house on S. Concord Ave. This power house was erected in conjunction with the re-construction of the Rough & Ready Dam in 1909. The Oconomowoc Ave. bridge can be seen in the background.
Image# KR059 - Print made from a damaged negative showing the Rough and Ready Dam along S. Concord Ave. The dam was built by John Richards, Luther Cole and Heber Smith in the mid 1840s. The mill race in the foreground is very visible, though the accompanying mill was destroyed by fire in 1888. This image dates to 1909.
Image# KR060 - Another view of the construction of the Rough & Ready Dam along S. Concord Ave. in 1909. The old dam can be seen on the right, and the new one on the left.
Image# KR061 - Dam, south of Main Street bridge. The dam washed out due to ice in March, 1904. This image shows the damage, looking north from Milwaukee Street.
Image# KR062 - Taken in the conservatory of the Octagon House, circa 1905, are the ghostly images of Mr. and Mrs. C. W. Jones.
Image# KR063 - View of the Octagon House, circa 1900. Print from a damaged negative. Dark image.
Image# KR064 - Taken in the conservatory of the Octagon House, circa 1905, are some of the grandchildren of John and Eliza Richards. They are, left to right, Jessie Weber Dunlop and Maude Green.
Image# KR065 - Dam, south of Main Street bridge, under re-construction. The frame-work of the new dam can be seen, as well as piles of broken concrete from the former dam. This image dates to 1904.
Image# KR066 - Railroad bridge below Milwaukee Street, looking east from the south side of the bridge. This image was taken on the west bank of the Rock River in 1904.
KR067 - William Jones, at left, and an unknown friend standing on an ice flow,
Image# KR068 - Eliza Richards, on the right, sitting in the conservatory of the Octagon House, circa 1900, along with her sister, Mrs. Maria (Forbes) Lull.
Image# KR069 - Eliza Richards, on the right, sitting in the conservatory of the Octagon House, circa 1900, along with her sister, Mrs. Maria (Forbes) Lull.
Image# KR070 - Jones-Kreitzman home located along Western Ave., circa 1900. Moses Richards, the eldest male child of John and Eliza Richards, stands in front of the home. The old "stand pipe" water tower can be seen rising above the home.
Image# KR071 - Taken in the conservatory of the Octagon House, circa 1905, are the following: (standing left to right) Mrs. C.W. Jones, William Thomas; children: Maude Green and Jessie Weber Dunlop; (seated) Anna (Richards) Thomas.
Image# KR072 - Taken in the conservatory of the Octagon House, circa 1905, are the following: (standing left to right) William Thomas and Mrs. C.W. Jones; children: Jessie Weber Dunlop, Maude Green; (seated) Anna Thomas.
Image# KR073 - Anna (Richards) Thomas, seated in the conservatory of the Octagon House, circa 1905.
KR074 - The funeral of Jesse Stone,
Image# KR075 - Taken in the conservatory of the Octagon House, circa 1905, are some of the grandchildren of John and Eliza Richards. They are, left to right, Jessie Weber Dunlop and Maude Green, facing the camera.
Image# KR076 - Men standing on the Rough and Ready Dam located along S. Concord Ave. This image, circa 1909, shows the dam under re-construction.
Image# KR077 - View of the interior of the Arthur Goeldner saloon, 311 Main Street, with men standing at the bar and ladies standing in the rear, in 1899.
KR078 - Stone funeral,
Image# KR079 - Constructing the new Rough & Ready Dam along S. Concord Ave. This image shows the pilings and the dredging. Tivoli Island can been seen in the distance at the top of the picture. Image taken summer, 1909.
Image# KR080 - Construction on the Rough & Ready Dam along S. Concord Ave. , in 1909. This image was taken on the west bank of the river, looking eastward. This image shows the beginning of the new construction, with men standing near the old wooden sluices.
Image# KR081 - Smiling family in a carriage on Main Street, looking west from intersection of Main and Third Streets, circa 1895.
Image# KR082 - Panoramic view of Main Street between Fourth and Sixth Streets, circa 1905, taken from the roof of Turner Hall.
Image# KR083 - North Third Street looking north, taken in front of the Henry Fendt Saloon, 109 N. Third Street, today the site of the Zwisky Law Offices. Note the row of bricks standing in front of the building. This was when N. Third Street was being paved, circa 1902.
Image# KR084 - Panoramic view of Main Street between First and Third Streets, circa 1905, taken from the roof of Turner Hall.
Image# KR085 - Print from a heavily damaged negative showing North Third Street, circa 1902. The street is undergoing paving in this image.
Image# KR086 - Men watching the dredging in front of the Rough & Ready Dam, preparatory to re-building the dam and creating the power-house. Image dates to summer, 1909. Located along S. Concord Ave.
Image# KR087 - Dam below Main Street bridge, circa 1904, showing the G. B. Lewis plant and beyond that St. Bernard’s Catholic Church.
Image# KR088 - Fuermann Brewery looking south along east bank of the Rock River. The Fuermann home, known as the Annex, can be seen on the right, below the brewery building. Today this is the site of the Watertown Fire Department and North First Street Parking Lot. This image circa 1899.
Image# KR089 - The interior of the Arthur Goeldner saloon showing men at tables. Circa 1899.
Image # KR090 - Print made from a damaged negative showing the intersection of Main and Third Streets, looking west, circa 1905. Note the Deutsches Dorf Saloon. Today this is the Brown Shoe Co.
Image# KR091 - Young boy about to throw a ball or something in the field just north of the Octagon House, which can be seen on the right of this image. Damaged negative. Circa 1900.
KR092 - View from the east bank of the Rock River looking to the west on
KR093 - Image dated
Image# KR094 - View of North Third Street, circa 1905.
Image# KR095 - Harvest Carnival floral entry, showing three girls in white along an unknown street, Sept., 1899.
Image# KR096 - West end of Milwaukee Street bridge, looking east. Circa 1900.
Image# KR097 - This image shows Michael Daniel Conley’s saloon, located at 121 West Main Street, today part of the Watertown Daily Times. This negative was broken. Circa 1890.
Image# KR098 - Unknown lady standing on the west side of S. Water Street. This image is looking north. The intersection of S. Water and Lafayette Streets can be seen just behind the woman. On the right side of the image is the Globe Mill and the G.B. Lewis Co. Circa 1900.
Image# KR099 - River view looking northwest from the vicinity of what is presently 7-Up Bottling. Main Street bridge can be seen, as can the Wiggenhorn Cigar Factory, the Bridge Barber Shop, and the buildings along S. Water Street on the far left of the image. Circa 1900.
Image# KR100 - William Hartig Brewing Co. float as entered in the Harvest Carnival, Sept. 1899. The man on the far left wearing a hat is thought to be William Hartig. This image was taken at the intersection of Jones and North First Streets. The Fuermann Brewery office can be seen on the far left.
Image# KR101 - Members of the "Old Dutch Band" rehearsing in the office of the old Fuermann Brewery, circa 1895. Those in the picture include, (from left to right) William Grossert, Don Harbeck, H. Riemstead, and William Sergel, the director. The spectators were (from left to right) Theodore Koerner and William Goecke.
Image# KR102 - Unknown building under construction, circa 1900. Is this Watertown? Damaged glass plate.
Image# KR103 - Harvest Carnival, Sept., 1899. The floral entry for Dr. Albert Solliday and his family can be seen here. This image is taken on S. Church Street, in front of the Solliday home. St. Bernard’s Catholic Church can be seen at the right.
Image# KR104 - Schott Bros. Saloon, 121 West Main Street, circa 1900. This location later became that of the Streamline Bar and the Feed Bag, is today part of the Watertown Daily Times. This structure was replaced in 1933 when the J. E. Herro building was constructed.
Image# KR105 - Harvest Carnival, Sept., 1899. The Jesse Stone family in their floral carriage. The family carriage house can be seen on the left side of the image. The Stone home was located at 300 S. Washington Street.
Image# KR106 - Photo of the lithograph of a train coming into Watertown over the Milwaukee Street railroad bridge in 1860. This image was probably copied in 1905.
Image# KR107 - Flowered carriage in the Harvest Carnival, Sept., 1899. This is the entry for "Miss Racek and friends".
Image# KR108 - Tivoli Island fountain and pavilion, circa 1895.
Image# KR110 - Copy of the 1867 Bird’s Eye View of the City of Watertown; copy taken probably about 1905.
Image# KR111 -Flowered carriage in the Harvest Carnival, held in Sept., 1899. Mayor Herman Grube and daughter, Zayda (in dark dress), Jennie Kusel and Jennie Evans. Taken along N. Montgomery Street.
Image# KR112 - Van Camp Packaging Company under construction along S. Montgomery and West Streets, circa 1895.
Image# KR113 - Panoramic shot of Watertown believed to have been taken from the roof of the Wiggenhorn Cigar Factory, circa 1899, showing the north-east section of the city from North First Street to Cady Street. Note the Fuermann and Hartig Breweries.
Image# KR114 - High water, circa 1904, along South Concord Ave. The tail race of Tivoli Island is under water in this image and the old Rough and Ready Dam can be seen in the distance.
Image# KR115 - Harvest Carnival flowered carriage, Sept., 1899. This was the entry for Mrs. W. D. Sproesser, who can be seen holding the umbrella. The other ladies are Mrs. Dr. Carl Feld and Mrs. Frank Woodard.
Image# KR116 - Harvest Carnival, Sept., 1899. Floral carriage entry showing a man driving an open carriage with three ladies. Unknown street and riders.
Image# KR117 - Unknown family in small, dark flowered carriage in the Harvest Carnival, Sept., 1899, taken along N. Montgomery Street.
Image# KR118 - Harvest Carnival parade, Sept., 1899. This image shows the intersection of Main and First Streets, looking south. Agnes Chapman, queen of the carnival, can be seen at the lower left foreground. Note also the employees of the Watertown Daily Times office, now River Park Properties, in the background. Similar to but not the same as other Chapman/Carnival images, WHS_005_605 and WHS_008_187
Image# KR119 - Floral entry in the Harvest Carnival, Sept., 1899. Unknown street and entry.
Image# KR120 - Harvest Carnival, Sept., 1899. The float for Woelffer and Kresensky, taken at the intersection of Jones and S. First Streets. This float seems to be advertising some sort of carriage or possibly an early auto manufactured in Chicago.
Image# KR121 - Mrs. W.D. Sproesser’s entry into the Harvest Carnival, Sept., 1899, showing Mrs. Sproesser holding the umbrella, Mrs. Dr. Carl Feld and Mrs. Frank Woodard. The woman standing is unknown. Very, very similar to KR115, with unknown woman present in this one.
Image# KR122 - Mrs. Anna (Richards) Thomas standing in the conservatory of the Octagon House, circa 1905.
Image# KR123 - Mrs. Anna (Richards) Thomas sitting in the conservatory of the Octagon House, circa 1905.
Image# KR124 - Damaged and double exposed negative of the dedication services of the new Masonic Temple in June, 1906. Later Fischer’s Department Store.
Image# KR125 - Free Masons marching on
to the dedication services of the new Masonic Temple? (1905
Inter-County Fair?), Sept., 1905. A
film negative, not a glass plate.
Image# KR126 - Knights of Columbus
marching on Main Street
to the dedication of the new Masonic Temple? (1905 Inter-County Fair?), Sept., 1905. A film negative, not a glass plate.
Image# KR127 - Rough and Ready Dam, taken from the east side of the Rock River, looking west. The Octagon House can be seen in the center background. Circa 1900. Scratched negative.
Image# KR128 - "Old Club House--S. Concord Ave." The Octagon House can be seen on the far right. The house on the left of the image still stands. The building at the center is believed to have been the former Richards’ school, built by John Richards in the late 1840s.
Image# KR131 – Saloon and Billiard Hall on Main Street. It is believed that this building stood on the north side of Main, next to the former Kusel Hardware Store. . Cheryl Hennings insurance would have stood next to this building. Today on this site is the Lebanon State Bank. Circa 1890. Addendum: Address would be 112 W. Main St. Is same building seen in image WHS_006_647, next to Kusels at the time (possibly Gates and Martin, 1887 city dir), became part of Kusels later.
Image# KR132 - Jacob Ditschler Saloon, located on the south west corner of Main and Second streets [117 E Main Street], circa 1885. This building was constructed by Charles Noak in 1868. Originally on this site was the very first store in Watertown, opened in 1841 by John and Luther Cole. Opening to the right has steps leading up to C. W. Rundlett’s photo studio and also to F. B. Tuttle’s law office. On the far right side of the image can be seen a portion of the Heismann Grocery Store. In 2015 this corner building housed the office of Edward Jones Financial Services (James J Gehring).
Image# KR133 - Unknown boarding house, possibly once located on Market Street, circa 1895. Possibly Herman Dobbratz, saloon and boarding house, 201 Market St, residence the same [1897 Watertown City Directory]
Image# KR134 - The Herman J. Strauss boot and shoe shop and office of the Watertown Republican, circa 1890. This building was located on the north side of Main Street, next to the Exchange Hotel (to the west) and Keck’s Furniture (to the east). In 2015 this is part of Keck’s Furniture. This glass plate negative was damaged.
Image# KR136 - William Cruez saloon, 206 First Street. circa 1895, presently the site of the American Legion, Post #189. Is this correct?
Image# KR137 - Charles Wegemann’s East Side Market, located at 605 East Main Street, circa 1885. This building was moved from this site in May, 2001, by Carol Bohlman and is today located along S. First Street.
Image# KR138 - The intersection of Main and
First Streets looking east. This image
Image# KR140 - Henry Daub’s saloon and Hotel Garni. The man standing on the left is Henry Daub, a nephew of Watertown brewer August Fuermann. This building stood on the north side of Main Street, just west of the Bank of Watertown building. Became part of Fischer’s Dept. Store. Image dates to circa 1895.
Image# KR141 - The W. J. Lee Bathing Salon, located just east of the Main Street bridge, on the north side of Main Street. Today this is Fischer’s Dept. Store. Note also the photo board and door-way leading to John B. May’s photographic studio. This image dates to about 1890.
Image# KR142 - Platz and Brandt General Store, circa 1895. This is today Froggy’s Bar, located at 301 East Main Street.
Image# KR143 - C. Krueger [Albert C.] and Son, marble and stone works, 211 Market Street. Today site of the Market St. Inn. Image dates to about 1890.
Image# KR145 - William Krebs grocery store and saloon, 517 East Main Street, west of Chamber of Commerce building (at 519 East Main, sw corner of Sixth and Main), circa 1890. Today this is the site of the parking lot for the Chamber.
Image# KR146 - Stereo view of J. W. Ganes Music House, circa 1880. This is presently the site of Sandra D’s Bridal Boutique, located on the south side of Main Street between First and Second Streets.
Image# KR147 - This image shows 300 East Main Street, circa 1890. This was formerly the Farmers & Citizens Bank, later Mallach’s Book Store.
Image# KR148 - Duplicate print of "The Fair". Dry goods store owned by W. F. Gruetzmacher located at 313 Main Street, circa 1890.
Image# KR149 - Print from a damaged negative showing a view of North First Street, looking south. Old City Hall can be seen on the right side of the image, as well as the Bank of Watertown. Circa 1895.
Image# KR150 - Germania House, circa 1890. C. T. Lotz. This was the first hotel built in Watertown in 1840, the Exchange Hotel. It was located on the corner of N. First and Main Streets and in 1891 it was moved to its present location, on the corner of S. First and Milwaukee Streets. Today this is the M & M Bar, the oldest building in the city.
Image# KR152 - Stereo view of the March, 1881, snowstorm showing Main Street after the big snow. This photo, somewhat damaged, shows men in the street in front of what became C.D. Beck’s Restaurant.
Image# KR154 - Stereo view of the intersection of Main and First Streets looking east. Note the dirt roads and the pine arches on Main Street. This image was taken during the Saengerfest in 1875. Slight damage to negative.
Image# KR155 - Stereo view of the March, 1881, snowstorm, taken from the upper story of the present Bismark’s, located on the south side of Main Street, looking west. The intersection of Main and First streets can be seen.
Image# KR156 - Demolition of the old Methodist Church located on the corner of Fifth and Main Streets in 1908. This was razed to make way for the "new" Methodist Church, a brick edifice, which stood on this site until the late 1970s, when it was razed to build a bank, Bank One.
Image# KR157 - August Fuermann Brewery employees, circa 1890. They are, reading from left to right, bottom row: Albert Stuhlmacher, Mr. Behnke, William Luther, Gerhard Fuermann, Ferdinand Grossert, Charles Fuermann, Julius Doerr and Henry Rutz. Second row--Fritz Lange, Mr. Fleuter, August Kleck Jr., Theodore Wiese, Fritz Prey, William Buchholz, Mr. Forncrook (veterinarian); top row--August Erdmann, Herman Stuhlmacher, Albert Neitzel, August Kleck Sr., Pat Tietz and Mr. Lattamer.
Image# KR158 - Employees of the Hartig and Manz Brewery, circa 1890. Seated in the front are William Hartig on the left, and Charles Manz (with beard, wearing cap) on the right.
Image# KR159 - The August Fuermann Brewery headquarters building at 100 E Madison Street, circa 1890. Today (2016) this building is that of Rock River Pizza. Not the same as the Fuermann office building that was one block to the north on Jones Street.
Image# KR160 - The Richards family at dinner in the Octagon House, circa 1901. Seated left to right: Mrs. George Bott (?), William Thomas, Emma (Bott) Thomas, Mary Alice (Richards) Green, Anna (Richards) Thomas, Mrs. Moses Richards, Eliza Richards, Sadie Jones.
Image# KR161 - Unknown woman sitting on the east side of the city dam, located below Main Street bridge, circa 1904.
Image# KR251 - Kreitzman home, Watertown
Image# KR317 Scandinavia, WI, Silver Lake, Academy in background, c1917
Image# KR318 Scandinavia, WI, Scandinavia Academy, c1917
Image# KR319 Scandinavia, WI, View from the west, c1917
Image# KR321 Scandinavia, WI, Public school, c1917
Image# KR322 Scandinavia, WI, Mill pond, c1917
Image# KR331 Masonic Temple fire, 02 18 1916, same as WHS_PC_210
Image# KR349 - Baseball
Image# KR364 - Sinnissippi Band, 1914
Image# KR365 - Sinnissippi Band, 1914
Image# KR366 - Sinnissippi Band, 1914
Image# KR367 - Sinnissippi Band, 1914
Image# KR368 - Sinnissippi Band, 1914
Image# KR369 - Sinnissippi Band, 1914
Image# KR370 - Sinnissippi Band, 1914
Image# KR371 - Unknown
Image# KR372 - Sinnissippi Band
As for the band pictured, Bill Jones was a member of the 101st Cavalry Band, and also, I believe, the Turner Hall band, as well as the Sinissippi Band. There is a large photo of the Sinnissippi Band in the box marked music in the vault. I suspect this image shows members of the Cavalry Band, though where this image was taken is unknown.
Writing on the negative wrapper seems to read "Sinppi Band" which would mean this was the Sinnissippi Band.
Order form for 8 x 10 prints of above images
Cost is $10 each, + $5 shipping/handling per order
Date of order ___________________
Listing of prints ordered:
KR # ___________________ __________ ($25 each)
KR # ___________________ __________
KR # ___________________ __________
KR # ___________________ __________
KR # ___________________ __________
Donation for preservation of negatives __________
Shipping and handling __________ ($5 per order)
TOTAL ___________ Make checks payable to
Watertown Historical Society
Your mailing address:
City ____________________ State ______ Zip ___________________
Only use of email address will be to contact you, if necessary, regarding your order.
Watertown Historical Society
Thank you for your order.
History of Watertown, Wisconsin