ebook  History of Watertown, Wisconsin


Fred (Fridolin) Ruesch

1824 - 1891


Fred Ruesch died of stomach troubles at his home in the 4th ward at 3:25 o’clock, on Monday morning, May 4th, 1891, in his 67th year.


The news of his death was learned with much sorrow by our people, he being one of Watertown’s best and most esteemed citizens.


He resided here for nearly 44 years, and during that time formed an extensive acquaintance in Watertown and vicinity, all of whom held him in the very highest esteem. In every walk of life he was a model man - as a husband and father, he was affectionate and kind, and ever mindful of the comforts and needs of his family, always attending to their wants in a manner that was truly commendable; and as a citizen, he fulfilled his duties to perfection.


Mr. Ruesch was born in Inslingen, Baden, on July 20, 1824, and came to America over 45 years ago, locating for a time in Milwaukee, from which place he removed to Watertown in 1847, where he has ever since been engaged in the boot and shoe business [Ruesch F. & Son (Fridolon and Leo), boots, shoes and saloon, NE corner O’Connell and Water (1887 City Directory) (203 N Water St) ].


His wife, one son and six daughters survive him.  His son, Leo, and his daughters, Mrs. Clara Weis, Mrs. William Weber, Lizzie, Katie and Mollie are all residents of Watertown, and Mrs. Peter Scholler, a resident of Tomah, Wis.


His funeral was held from St. Henri’s Church and his remains were followed to their last resting place in St. Henry’s Cemetery by a large number of sorrowing friends, the large attendance testifying to the high esteem in which his friends held him.


St. Henri’s Benevolent Society and the Arbeits Verein (labor society) attended in a body wearing the regalia of their societies.


1955, 11 08


The Ruesch Shoe Store, one of Watertown's oldest business establishments, now well in its second century of operation, will move to a new location at 305 E Main Street shortly after Dec. 1, it was announced today. The business has been operated in its present location at 210 West Main Street for 54 years and before that it was located in other places in the city, having had its start in a little shoe repair shop. The business is now in its fourth generation of the Ruesch family. The new store building is being completely remodeled. Moving to the new site is solely for the convenience of the greatest number of customers, John (Jack) Ruesch told the Times.



[ 1 ]  A cobbler's bench from the first shoe factory of Fridolin Ruesch, and operated by that family for several generations, is to be found on the grounds of Watertown’s Octagon House. 




Table of Contents 

History of Watertown, Wisconsin