This file part of website


John E. Weissert

1847 - 1888

Watertown Gazette, 07 20 1888


Last Saturday morning, July 14, 1888, shortly after 2 o’clock, John E. Weissert died at his home in the fifth ward at the close of a brief illness.  For a great many years his hands were affected with Salt-Rheum, and a few months ago he succeeded in curing them, but the disease broke out in his mouth and finally took effect in his stomach and led to his death.  His wife and son survive him. 


Eczema and Salt Rheum:  Eczema is an inflammatory, acute or chronic, non contagious skin disease characterized at first by redness, little pimples, vesicles or pustules and is attended by more or less burning itching.  This process terminates either in the formation of crusts as the result of dried sticky serum, or else in the formation of fine scales.  No skin disease has such a variety of aspects nor such grades of inflammation.  There is generally more or less oozing of the blood serum, which dries and thickens, forming crusts.  There is usually more or less thickening of the skin, making it like leather; there is generally some considerable scaling.  Eczema may subside in a few weeks never to return, or, what is more probable, may lapse into a chronic state and continue for months and years, with bothersome symptoms, which are extremely annoying.  Salt Rheum is a chronic eczema of this last variety.


Deceased was born in Hamilton, Canada, January 15, 1847, and came to Watertown with his parents in 1850, where he has since resided, excepting two years he made his home at the Mendota Insane Asylum, where he was bookkeeper, and the time he served in the army during the rebellion.  When only 15 years of age he enlisted in Co. D 29th Wisconsin Regiment and served three years in the army until the close of the rebellion.


For nearly 20 years past he was bookkeeper in Woodard & Stone’s bakery and was held in the very highest esteem by his employers. 


He was one of nature’s noblemen, kind hearted, genial and generous.  If he had an enemy on earth we never heard of him.  He always had a smile for those he met, and a pleasant word for all with whom he conversed.  He was one of the most industrious of men and to do right was the sum of his religion.  His heaven here below was his fireside and the love and respect of kindred and friends. 


Sunday afternoon his remains were consigned to their last resting place in Oak Hill Cemetery under the auspices of the Masonic Lodge.  Funeral services were held at Saint Paul’s Church and the following societies of which he was an honored and most worthy member, were conspicuous by their regalia and uniforms in the large funeral procession: Masonic Lodge, Odd Fellows, O. D. Pease Post, G.A.R. and Watertown Fire Department, also the employees of Woodard & Stone’s bakery. 


May the earth lie lightly over him, may the flowers bloom over his head, made the winds sigh softly as they herald the coming night, and made peace and respect ever mingle with his memory.


Cross reference:

John E Weissert, Civil War veteran, GAR Personal War Sketch, 1890