websitewatertownhistory.org

††† ebookHistory of Watertown, Wisconsin

 

Planterís Hotel

101 E Main

Site of first saloon / tavern in city

 

1843

The Planters was the second hotel to open in Watertown and was built in 1843.††

 

1847

06 30†††††† "Mine host" of the Planterís served his boarders with green peas on Sunday - the first of the season in this section†† Watertown Chronicle

 

1851c

†††††††††††††† Mr. Turner, proprietor, mentioned

 

1854

02 04†††††† Planterís Hotel property for sale.Watertown Register

 

1857

 

1858

08 07 ††††† Cook is a capital fellow and keeps a capital house ††WD

 

1859

02 03††††††††† PLANTERSí HOTEL REMODELED BY A. F. CADY

The Plantersí Hotel has recently been overhauled from top to bottom and is now ready for the reception of visitors.It is under the management of its former popular and experienced landlord, Mr. A. F. Cady, who takes not only great pains in giving his old friends and customers a cordial welcome, but will spare no care to make an agreeable and comfortable home for all new ones.We hope ďMine HostĒ will always have a house full upon whom to bestow his attentions, for he knows how to fill those who place themselves under his care.†† WD

 

02 10††††††††† COMMON COUNCIL

Resolved, That the Marshal be and he is hereby directed to notify the occupant of the Planterís Hotel to remove the sign and post recently erected on the northwest corner of said premises, to remove the same within 24 hours after notice shall be given him, and in case of refusal so to do, the Marshal is hereby required to remove the same immediately thereafter.†† WD

 

07 28†††††† PLANTERSí HOTEL REMODELED

This is one of the oldest as well as largest public houses in this city.Our readers are aware that it has recently been fitted up and refurnished by Mr. A. F. Cady, its present attentive and gentlemanly landlord, and is now enjoying a good deal of public patronage.Travelers will always find the Planterís an agreeable place to stop while remaining in town and nothing wanting that can contribute to their pleasure or comfort.We are glad to observe the return of business and prosperity to a house which now, as in former years, well deserves success.When we shall be placed, as we soon will be, upon the most crowded line of travel in the state, we have no doubt that our public spirited hotelkeepers will be ready to meet the increased wants and demands of the people.†† WD

 

1860

05 31††††††††† N Pratt, landlord†† WD

 

1863

02 26†††††† SALE OF THE PLANTERíS HOTEL

Last week Mr. William H. Clark sold the Planterís Hotel, in this city, now kept by Mr. Nathan Pratt, to Mr. E. R. Robinson, for the sum of $4,000, the purchase money of which was paid down.This is the largest sale of real estate recently made here.The buyer is a gentleman of means and will take possession on the 1st of next April.We understand he intends to thoroughly overhaul, enlarge, repair and refurnish the house, making it a first class hotel, and conduct it himself.This will be a decided benefit to the city, bringing here, as it does, a gentleman of enterprise and capital, whose prosperity will be identified with that of the community and who will have an interest in opening and keeping a public house that will answer the wants of a growing city.We have good hotels here now Ė hotels both commodious and popular, such as in some respects are fully equal to the best in the country, but none so large as may be found in many much smaller places.An improvement in this particular has long been needed here.†† WD

 

03 26†††††† REMODELING OF PLANTERíS

Mr. Robinson, the new proprietor of the Planterís Hotel, is now engaged in overhauling the whole building.He will raise it about five feet, put on a new addition on the east end, and give it an altogether new and better appearance, besides increasing considerably his means of accommodating the traveling public.The changes he is making will greatly improve the corner on which the building stands.That property hereafter will be much more valuable and we hope he will find the investment of the money he is making profitable.†† WD

 

1869

FIRE AT THE PLANTERS HOTEL

The Planters Hotel was located on the southeast corner of Main and S. First St. and burned to the ground in 1869, at which time it was known as the Robinson House.It was directly across the street from the Rock River Hotel (later became the Exchange Hotel).

 

It is not the same as the Carlton .

 

2012††††† 101 E Main location, compared to 1857.

 

 

Cross References:

1853, Impression of, stage house, artesian well

Site of first tavern in city

Basford & Co's Brick Block, 1858, Mention of, next to Planter's Hotel

Basford & Co's Brick Block, 1859, Mention of

 

 

 

Table of Contents

History of Watertown, Wisconsin

Index