Charles E. Parks Home
506 S. Washington St
CHARLES E. PARKS was educated at the Glens Falls Academy and at the Fort Edward Collegiate Institute. He commenced life as a civil engineer, but, not liking the business, he taught school one year, then engaged as clerk in a dry goods house at Sandy Hill, N.Y., for a short time, when he again entered the schoolroom as assistant principal and teacher of mathematics for two years. He came West in 1872 and was elected superintendent of Garnet, Kan., public schools, where he remained two years. He then went to Golden, Colo., where he became superintendent of Golden public schools, serving one year. He next went to Denver as superintendent of the north side schools, but returned the following year to Golden, where he remained a year and resigned his position and returned East.
He finally came West again, making Watertown, Wis. his home. He married Lilla LEWIS, daughter of G. B. LEWIS. He has been engaged in the manufacturing business with G. B. LEWIS as partner for several years, and is now secretary and treasurer and half owner of the G. B. LEWIS Company at Watertown. He is the inventor of Parks' basket boxes and barrels and considerable amount of machinery.
He ran for public offices and has been twice defeated; first time, running for school commissioner, when, after an experience of ten years in the schoolroom, leaving same at a salary of $1,500 and being offered $1,800 a year to continue, he was defeated by a man who could little more than read and write. He was defeated a second time when running for alderman. He has three children: Lewis W., aged thirteen years; Olive, aged eleven years, and Clifton A., aged nine years.
From Memorial and Genealogical Record of Dodge and Jefferson Counties, Wisconsin, publ. 1894
The 36th annual meeting of the Watertown Arts Council was held at the Watertown Country Club Sunday. Sue Heninger provided classical piano music background for the showing of the 1999 art festival purchase awards. The 1999 House Beautiful award was presented to Brian and Julie Johnson, 506 S. Washington St. The picture of their home was created by Sandra Pirkel and framed courtesy of Chas. David's Sons and Evald Moulding Co. The Johnsons have spent seven years renovating the Charles E. Parks home which was built in approximately 1886. Parks was a co-founder of the G.B. Lewis Co. Watertown Daily Times, 03 04 2000
History of Watertown, Wisconsin