Joseph Herro Discontinues
Golden Pheasant Tavern
1903 First Movies in Watertown were shown at the Palace Theater by Joseph E. Herro of 109 Jones Street in 1903. Mr. Herro and his two brothers, George Herro, of Fort Atkinson, and Charles Herro, opened the first movie house here. It was the Palace Theatre and was located at 206 Main Street.
Mr. Herro conceived the idea of a movie house after seeing his first motion picture in Chicago. The new medium was considered more or less a toy at first but it quickly caught on and became one of the world's major entertainment industries.
08 02 GOLDEN PHEASANT TO CLOSE
The Golden Pheasant, popular Main Street tavern operated by Joseph Herro, will close its doors. In the days when the city permitted dancing in taverns it was a popular gathering place for many people from out of-town. The interior resembled a huge Arabian tent, an idea Mr. Herro carried out after he returned from a trip to the Orient two years ago. The building has been leased to a chain shoe concern. Mr. Herro will retain his license for another tavern he operates in Madison Street, one block from Main Street. WD
06 26 A BIT OF A PROFILE
Mr. Herro has been a resident of Watertown since 1901. He is still somewhat of a movie fan, but not a rabid one and sees a film only occasionally. He also opened the first billiard parlor in Watertown in 1904, located on South Second Street, and in 1905 opened the first street popcorn stand here, at Third and Main Streets. Later he had a popcorn wagon which he drove around the city at night, led by a horse, selling popcorn to all comers. In his business career here he was also engaged in the fruit store and ice cream business and the tavern and restaurant business. Now he is taking things easy and planning another trip abroad with his wife. They plan to go next year, making the trip by plane.
01 03 PLANS TO DEMOLISH FOR PARKING LOT
The Common Council has approved acquisition of 109 Jones Street. This home (Herro home; today Patrick A. Arpin Law Office), along with the adjacent at 113 Jones, will eventually be demolished to a municipal parking lot.
Herro Joseph E. (1 4 1879-11 22 1959) Buried in St. Henry’s cemetery
History of Watertown, Wisconsin