ebook  History of Watertown, Wisconsin


Junction Hotel



09 18       Friday night parties broke into the lunch room at the Junction house and carried off a quantity of canned goods and other provisions. The marauders were not apprehended, although Mr. Buthorn, the proprietor, had strong suspicions of the guilty ones.   WR



02 15       A goodly company had their inner appetites splendidly satisfied last Sunday at the fourth annual game dinner given by William Buthorn, "mine host" of the Junction Hotel.  The guests were seated at prettily set tables, amid the fragrance of carnations, narcissus and other flowers.  The elaborate menu embraced several representatives of the finny and feathery tribes for which the true sportsman's appetite frequently yearns, all prepared and served in a manner that left nothing to be desired.  There were nine courses, the completion of which left the general impression that the genial landlord had reason to be proud of his undertaking.   WR


1900      SAFE ROBBED

05 11       Last Sunday afternoon young man about 25 years of age entered the office at the Junction Hotel, and finding no one therein, he attempted to rob the safe of its valuables. The safe door was closed but the combination was not turned on, and the cash drawers were broken open by the fellow with a stove poker. He took $160 in cash and two gold watches. Mrs. Buthom was upstairs at the time and hearing the noise in the office rushed downstairs and found the man at the safe. He rushed out the door and Mrs. Buthorn after him. She noticed Engineer John Rigny on the platform and called his attention to the fellow. Rigny grabbed him and handed him over to Mr. Buthorn, who after recovering his property took the fellow up town and had him placed in the city jail. Monday morning he was taken to before Justice Stacy, and gave his name as Wm. Butterworth, and his place of residences, Dow City, Iowa. He was placed under $500 bail to appear for examination on Monday, May 14. Not being able to furnish it he was turned over to the charge of Sheriff Jaehnke at Jefferson.  WG


05 18       Monday morning Wm. Butterworth, charged with robbing the safe at the Watertown Junction House on May 6, 1900, was examined before Justice Stacy.  The complaint was changed from burglary to grand larceny, and the prisoner was bound over to the circuit court of Jefferson County, his bail being fixed at $500, in default of which he was taken back to the county jail.  The case of James Searles, charged with being an accomplice, on motion of the district attorney, after several witnesses had been heard, was adjourned for one week, and in default of $500 bail, he was also taken back to the county jail.  District Attorney Rogers was present and prosecuted.   WG




Clyde Dudley of Grand Rapids, Mich., and August Brown, employed at the lunch counter at the Watertown Junction, got into a fistic encounter last Friday night, the outcome of which was that Dudley died of his injuries early Wednesday morning.  He received a compound fracture of the jaw bone, and suffered so much from loss of blood that his injuries finally ended in death. Sunday he was taken to St. Mary's Hospital for treatment and died there at the above stated time.  Dudley is what is termed a natural bleeder, and it is said on a previous occasion he received a small cut in his head and it was with difficulty that his life was saved.  Some people, the medical profession say, bleed to death from the slightest wound. 


This is a most unfortunate affair from whatever point it is viewed—the death of the young man is greatly regretted, still the sympathy of the entire community goes out to young Brown.  He is nineteen years of age, and a young man of good character and popular with all who know him.  Young Dudley was 20 years of age. 


It is said the fight was prearranged on account of an alleged insult to a girl, Dudley being the provoker of the assault.  The facts in the case of the assault are substantially as follows as told by a Watertown correspondent in Thursday's Milwaukee Sentinel:


Dudley came to Watertown about four months ago to visit a family living near Watertown Junction.  There was a daughter in the family, a little over 16 years, who was accustomed to visit frequently at the Junction Hotel, where Brown was clerk.  Some time ago Brown, it is said, told the girl to keep away from the place, and Dudley declared this was an insult to the girl, and demanded that Brown fight him.


Brown is about 140 pounds in weights and only about 20 years of age.  Dudley is about the same age, and weighed less than Brown.  Brown kept refusing to fight, it is said, but Dudley began calling him a coward and kept pressing the fight until it was finally arranged according to testimony . . . the two met in a vacant lot near the hotel and fight it out.  There were to be no rounds, but the two men were to keep at it until one had enough. 


Friends of both were present and after the two had shaken hands before the fight, they met in a fierce encounter going to the ground almost immediately.  The fight lasted only a few moments, when Dudley cried out that he had had enough, and his jaw was found to be broken near the ear.  According to the stories of friends the two shook hands and went home.


This was last Friday.  Dudley, however, was bleeding persistently, and on Sunday it was necessary to send him to a hospital.  The doctors could not check the flow of blood and he died Wednesday . . . WG




The deadline set by the common council for certain improvements and changes in the old Railroad Hotel when it granted a “conditional” beer license for Hartman’s Hideaway, the city’s only licensed teenage bar, has passed and the work ordered by the city to be done has not been carried out.  That was pointed out at last night’s council committee meeting and at least two aldermen — G. G. Waller and Paul Archambeau — served notice they will not vote for an extension.  Mr. Waller pointed out that the license was granted in July on condition that certain changes to meet fire, safety, sanitary and state public service commission standards be completed by Sept. 15.  This has not been done, Mr. Waller pointed out, and he said the council must either stand by the order it imposed or back away.  The latter step would impair the council’s official standpoint in the community, he declared.




Table of Contents 

History of Watertown, Wisconsin