ebook  History of Watertown, Wisconsin


John Ford, Sr

b. 1825


Derived in part from: The History of Jefferson County, Wisconsin by C. W. Butterfield, 1879


John Ford, of the firm of Hamlin & Ford, dealers in lumber, building-paper, paints, coal, etc.


Born in Scotland June 30, 1825; came to America and located at Watertown in August, 1849.


For sixteen years, he worked at his trade of plasterer, stone and brick mason; in 1863 and 1864, he spent a year and a half in Arkansas in the Quartermaster’s Department of the United States Army; afterward, he worked for a year at his trades and for seven years he was in the office of the Chief Engineer of the Milwaukee & St. Paul Railway Company.


On February 1, 1873, he engaged in the lumber business with Mr. Hamlin, and they have been associated together in the same business ever since. 


Mr. Ford was first Superintendent of Schools under the union plan, afterward Commissioner of Schools for the Sixth Ward for one year, and in 1878 was Commissioner of Schools for the First Ward. 


On December 3, 1847, he married Martha McKritchie; she was born in Scotland; they have had six children; the living are James G., John C. and Julia J.; lost three children; two sons died in infancy; one daughter, Anna, died Dec. 29, 1866, aged 17 years.  Mrs. Ford and Julia J. are members of the Congregational Church.


Watertown City Directory, 1880


Res. s. s. Clyman, 2 w. 7th

Daughter Julia was a music teacher.

Hamlin & Ford (Joseph Hamlin and John Ford), lumber, coal, sewer pipe and mixed paints, s.e. corner 4th and Clyman.


Civil War veteran


Burials in Oak Hill Cemetery.