Meyer & Wegemann
Hon. Charles G. Meyer, capitalist, Port Washington; one of the oldest settlers and most prominent men of Ozaukee Co.; was born in Saxony Feb. 3, 1827, and with his parents, came to the United States in 1843, landing at Milwaukee; with his brother, he started on foot for Mequon, Ozaukee Co., where they at once commenced clearing land, which business they followed in Ozaukee and Sheboygan Cos. until 1850; during that time, they cleared 1,400 acres for which they received $3.50 per acre and dinner, or $4 and board themselves; when they burned the brush, they received 50 cents extra; but all the work was done in one year's time.
In 1850, he was married to Mena Beger, and followed farming in the town of Fredonia, where he had previously purchased land; in 1859, on account of his wife's poor health, he leased his farm, moved into Port Washington and served as County Clerk one term; then kept books for B. Blake until September, 1862; he then removed to Madison, where he kept the books for W. H. Ramsey, in the Bank Comptroller's office. In 1864, his wife died, leaving three children - C.E., now a merchant at Waubeka; Ernst and Herman (the latter not living).
In June, 1865, Mr. Meyer went to Germany, where he was married to Mena Helmert; returned to Wisconsin in November, and served as Deputy Register of Deeds of Dane Co., one year.
He then removed to Watertown, and, in partnership with Charles Wegemann, engaged in the dry goods business, which was carried on under the firm name of Meyer & Wegemann about eighteen months; then removed the same to Waubeka, Ozaukee Co., where they continued until 1874, at which date they sold to Meyer & Witt; in the fall of 1872, Mr. Meyer was elected County Treasurer, which office he held for four consecutive terms, since which time he has been living a private life; he also served in the Assembly two terms.
From "History of Washington and Ozaukee Counties, Wisconsin", Western Historical Co., 1881.