Building occupied by Mel's Garage in 2002.
This structure was built as a horseshoeing shop in 1896 by Charles Klemann. The shop was run by Mr. Klemann until 1915, when it was purchased by Gustav Schmeichel. By 1927 the need for shoeing horses had declined, and other businesses took over the building. This building maintains a high level of integrity due to the fact that it was owned by these two men for a long period of time.
This two-story cream brick, three bay building features a molded brick cornice with drip molding, and a row of corbelled ends over long narrow windows suggesting an Italianate influence. A metal lintel extending across the storefront is supported by capped brick pieces. The entrance door and a large wooden service door also characterize the facade. A second story enclosed porch and partially brick addition is located at the rear.
- Ron Greve