website  watertownhistory.org

    ebook  History of Watertown, Wisconsin

 

William King Home

 

802 S Eighth St

 

 

Watertown Daily Times, 06 12 1976

 

William King, lumber baron in Wisconsin, Michigan and Minnesota, spent nearly a year gathering the matched woods, mostly cherry and quarter sawed oak. These woods went into the building of his family home at what is now 802 South Eighth Street.

 

King completed the three story home in 1901 and his family occupied it through 1940.  The J. F. Price family moved in on New Year's Day 1941.

 

The southern plantation style home, with Greek revival front, was owned by Mrs. J. F. Price in 1976. The King and Price families had been the only owners up to that time.

 

The Kings had a large family and entertained frequently in the third-floor ballroom.  When the home was built the grand piano used in the ballroom was hoisted in before the windows were constructed.  The home contains seven bathrooms.

 

Some of the original porches and pillars have been removed.  Mr. Price closed some of the fireplaces, because without dampers they were open to the elements and to squirrels and bats. He had most of the home carpeted.

 

Features of this home include crystal as the upper half of the windows, a large entry with cherry handrail on the open stairs.  The original drawing or music room and living room had hand painted pictures on the ceilings.

 

 

 

 

Table of Contents 

History of Watertown, Wisconsin

Index